Building a strong industrial foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a strong industrial foundation

I find that unlike most RTS, RoN really requires a player to really focus on building up a strong industrial foundation, by getting about 5 cities, a high ressource collection rate, and high commerce cap. A strong econ/industrial foundation, will allow the play to stay conpetitive for the long haul if neccessary.

If you focus too much on conquest early on, you can risk falling dangerously behind in tech and not recovering quick enough to win.

In most of my games, until I reach the enlightement age, the game is mostly about "setting things up". I build 5 cities, build a fort in each city for basic defense, get a high collection rate for all ressources, research a couple commerce and science techs. Only when I feel that I have a solid econ/industrial base, does the game really begin for me, where I turn my attention to either conquest or whichever victory is best.

It seems to me that a strong industrial base is crucial in RoN. Thoughts?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Re: Building a strong industrial foundation

Originally posted by The diplomat
    I find that unlike most RTS, RoN really requires a player to really focus on building up a strong industrial foundation, by getting about 5 cities, a high ressource collection rate, and high commerce cap. A strong econ/industrial foundation, will allow the play to stay conpetitive for the long haul if neccessary.

If you focus too much on conquest early on, you can risk falling dangerously behind in tech and not recovering quick enough to win.

In most of my games, until I reach the enlightement age, the game is mostly about "setting things up". I build 5 cities, build a fort in each city for basic defense, get a high collection rate for all ressources, research a couple commerce and science techs. Only when I feel that I have a solid econ/industrial base, does the game really begin for me, where I turn my attention to either conquest or whichever victory is best.

It seems to me that a strong industrial base is crucial in RoN. Thoughts?
    this is how most people approach RoN, and how i approached it my first time out.

then i got schooled by the Mongolian hoardes in the classical age.

if you're going for a slow early game / economic boom strategy, you have to have some awesome towerc / fort coverage, major attrition, and some standing army. i find artillery units depolyed near forts work wonders against enemy artilley assaults, especially if you hit their supply wagons
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
    X