All RTS or some turn-based?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All RTS or some turn-based?

Is RoN all RTS or is it a hybrid turn-RTS? If so, what can be controlled in a turn-type mode and how? Can action be halted and orders given at any time? I have absolutely no interest in an RTS (an inaccurate label if there ever was one) type arcade game of the "Age of Empires" variety but if this is a hybrid then there might be something here for me.
    Last edited by solops; May 21, 2003, 11:47.

The Conquer the World Campaign has a Risk-like board in which which you move your army pieces turn-based. You also do diplomacy here turn-based, use your bonus cards turn-based, etc. But the actual battles drop to an RTS similar to Age of Empires (though better, IMO).

I'm coming to the conclusion that the single player experience is so good that even an RTS-adverse player should think carefully about picking up the title. Remember that you can pause the game at any time, issue orders, generally select a slower game speed, tweak settings any way you like (you could lower the population limit to 75, for example). Any number of things to make RoN play as close to 'real-time' Civ as you could possibly get from anything to come to market so far.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Except for CtW campaign, it is RTS, but with pauses and everything else, as Yin says, it's really strategic, not a clickfest. Playing it like a clickfest will make you suck.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Except for CtW campaign, it is RTS, but with pauses and everything else, as Yin says, it's really strategic, not a clickfest. Playing it like a clickfest will make you suck.
        unless you are a lucky clicker.

click click click
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

or, conversely, if you play japan / mongolia and rush quickly.

click
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Thank you...all of you. I am surprised by the answers. Yin26, am I correct in thinking that during the "RTS" sections of the game the action can be paused and orders given? If so, not only is this ideal, it makes the game sound startlingly close to the implementation of Medieval Total War.

Comment

Yep, you can pause and issue orders. By the way, I love(d) the TW series...
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                Yep, you can pause and issue orders. By the way, I love(d) the TW series...
                Heheheheh...me too. I thought I recognised your name, but I could not recall if it was from the Apolyton boards or from elsewhere.

This games sounds better all of the time. I am a solo player only, other than some PBEM games like Stars!, so if the AI-gameplay is a strong combination then this title may be a "must buy", especially given the need for something new in the face of MOO3's disappointing debut.
                Last edited by solops; May 21, 2003, 15:19.

Comment

Ah, a MOO3 refugee. Have you tried GalCiv? Excellent stuff.

Back to RoN: I honestly do think the game is worth your time if you are happy to pause and issue orders, etc. You've seen my other thread on my experiences so far with the AI!

Comment

Working...
                  X