Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Requirements and Issues with Drivers/Video Cards

Hi,

Tried downloading the Demo, installed fine, but when I go to run the program I get the attatched image.

My computer is only 2 years old, and has decent Specs...I know someone with a much older computer, and his runs fine.

Any ideas on what the min. requirements are for Drivers/Video Cards and if I'm able to play the demo without getting any expensive upgrades? Thanks!
    Attached Files
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

System Requirements:

Windows: XP/2000/ME/98 -128 MB RAM
    Processor: 500 MHz
    Hard Drive: 800 MB
    Video Card: 16 MB 3D card
    Other: audio board with speakers and / or headphones
    According to this, I'm set. 800 Mhz, more than enough HD space, and I've got Audio...i just don't know if my Video Card is good enough (though I would assume that it is...works with other games that are just as high-end...)

Anyone know how I can check that info and see if it's good enough?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

What kind of vid card do you have? And.. do you have the latest drivers for it?

Comment

Run the program "DxDiag", which is a tool to evaluate your DirectX drivers and how they are interacting with your hardware.

Go to Start -> Run. Type dxdiag in the dialog box and hit enter. Check the "Display" tab. Besides telling you what is your videocard and what are its capabilities, the program will tell you if there are any problems with your current directx version.

If there is something wrong, download both the latest drivers for your videocard and the latest directx version (9.0). This will probably solve your problems.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

it's an ATI Mobility M3 card. As far as I know it's 16MB (8 and 8)

Comment

There have always been known issues with ATI video cards and computer games. Why is that I wonder

Also, RoN does NOT support Voodoo video cards. So unless tens of thousands of gamers buy NEW video cards, they are out of luck and BHG is out the revenue. . .

Comment

I've never had an issue with mine. It's worked with every game I've ever had.

And I can't replace my Video Card...it's for a laptop, so it's soddered on.

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                I've never had an issue with mine. It's worked with every game I've ever had.

And I can't replace my Video Card...it's for a laptop, so it's soddered on.
                You're lucky you have never had a problem before. Almost all issues I have seen have been with ATI video cards and games. . .

However, it will be interesting to see if other people with ATI cards will be able to play RoN. . .

Comment

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and the demo runs great for me. I just updated to the 3.4 Cats

Comment

When i try to run the Rise of Nations Trial version i am getting the
                    Error - "This video card driver is not supported for use with
                    Rise of Nations. Please download the latest drivers from your
                    manufacturer's website."

I am running
                    Compaq Evo N600C laptop with windows 2000
                    Directx9.0a
                    Mobility Radeon (Radeon M6-P Driver for Windows 2000)
                    pls see the attched screen shot also..

what should i do
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by diablologin
                      When i try to run the Rise of Nations Trial version i am getting the
                      Error - "This video card driver is not supported for use with
                      Rise of Nations. Please download the latest drivers from your
                      manufacturer's website."

I am running
                      Compaq Evo N600C laptop with windows 2000
                      Directx9.0a
                      Mobility Radeon (Radeon M6-P Driver for Windows 2000)
                      pls see the attched screen shot also..

what should i do
                      There are known problems with ATI's M6 chipset.

Currently, there may be some hope.

PLEASE NOTE: No one should attempt to mess with their computer setup unless you back up your files and you know what you are doing.

Proceed with caution: Gamers have found mixed results with the following information.

Some gamers who had the M6 chipset like yours, have found a solution by using either the ATI Radeon 7200 or 7500 LTY drivers instead.

Try this:

Download:

- extract it into e.g. your temp directory (do not run setup.exe as this does not seem to work)
                      - go to Display properties, select Settings tab
                      - press Advanced, select Adapter tab
                      - press Properties, select Driver tab
                      - press Update Driver ... Welcome to the HW Update Wizard comes up
                      - select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), press Next
                      - select Don't search. I will chose the driver to install, press Next
                      - select Have Disk
                      - Browse to your 'temp' directory where you've extracted downloaded package
                      - a list with many RADEON models will come up. Choose RADEON 7200, press Next, Finish, Restart etc.

Hope this helps

Best of luck.

My advice to everyone: Don't buy a video card that has the Radeon M6 chipset.
                      Last edited by Leonidas; May 18, 2003, 16:38.

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

I did everything you said Leo, and now my computer is ****ed up! I can't put my settings to anything but 640x480 and 16 colours and on top of that the game STILL doesn't work

How do I fix it?!?!!

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

I did everything you said Leo, and now my computer is ****ed up! I can't put my settings to anything but 640x480 and 16 colours and on top of that the game STILL doesn't work

How do I fix it?!?!!
                          Orange:

I see that you have an ATI Rage Mobility M3 card. The instructions I gave was for the Radeon Mobility M6 card. These are two different video cards! I'm not surprised that you have video problems now.

Do you have the ATI M3/M4 Video Driver version A03 for Windows 2000?

Nothing's wrong with your computer, it should just be a matter of changing back to your old driver again.

Try each of these steps:

1) Follow these instructions:

- go to Display properties, select Settings tab
                          - press Advanced, select Adapter tab
                          - press Properties, select Driver tab
                          - press Update Driver ... Welcome to the HW Update Wizard comes up
                          - select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), press Next
                          - select search, and let the computer select the driver to install, press Next

and follow the instructions. Your computer should then re-select your old M3 driver again.

OR

2) Here is ATI's web page where you can select the correct driver and download it:

Sorry for the mixup

EDIT: Everyone should take note of what driver your video card is currently using. This way, should anything go wrong in changing drivers, you can easily switch back to it again
                          Last edited by Leonidas; May 18, 2003, 10:49.

Comment

ah, I'm sorry Leo, I just realized that you were talking to someone else and not me. I saw you talking about ATI and thought it was directed to me without looking at whom you quoted.

It's ok, i figured out a way to uninstall the bad drivers last night. Thanks

Comment

ah, I'm sorry Leo, I just realized that you were talking to someone else and not me. I saw you talking about ATI and thought it was directed to me without looking at whom you quoted.

It's ok, i figured out a way to uninstall the bad drivers last night. Thanks
                              Glad to see everything worked out OK

Comment

Working...
                              X