Where are the arabs ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the arabs ??

I ant say the choice of nations was very good, thats so far my only complaint about the game.

Inca, bantu and aztec were all completely meaningless when compared to the Arab civ, and to an extent the Chosons (koreans).

I can't see why they didnt add em, beside political reasons, sucks a lot =/

Probably will be in the expansion, I would think. India isn't in the game either, or America, or the Vikings.
    ----
    "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Or Persia, or a southeastern asia civ =)

Comment

They tried to get a good balance of nations from ALL parts of the world to start. The most nations from one region would be europe, which i think has 8 nations. Asia is next with 4, and africa+America each have 3.

Persia (or some arab civ) will almost certainly be in the Ex-Pack, and it makes sense to save a good civ for the Ex Pack to me.
        "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
        - UberKruX

Comment

yeah well, still having BOTH Inca and Aztecs is quite silly, in particular when you consider that this civ was light years ahead of bantu and the like...

Comment

By America, do we mean North American in the sense of Native Americans like the Kiowa, the Sioux, the Cherokee, the Iriquois; or do we mean the menagerie of post-Columbian European, African, Asian, and Middle Eastern immigrants who added themselves to what seems to have been a rather eclectic North American tribal mix already, and over the course of about four centuries have come to think of themselves as "Americans [sic]" The people of Canada and the South American nations are "Americans" also, remember.

It has always seemed absurd to me that "Americans" (ruled by Abe Lincoln back in the stone age no less) are included in Civ III since the history of what is now called the United States of America hardly goes back thousands of years! I bother to mention my perplexity only because I have seen several posts that seem to be from younger people expressing indignation that RON does not include "Americans." I have the uncomfortable feeling that they are unaware that the Pilgrims did not arrive in the New World in 4,000 BC!

By all means let us have "Americans" in the expansion, but we will at least be a little bit closer to history if we call them the Cherokee or the Iriquois?

And where may I ask are Israel, the Assyrians, the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, the Minoans ... it is not hard to imagine a RON expansion pack with 18 additional civilizations, maybe two expansion packs each with nine more civilizations!
            i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

amen to that wilebill!
              Are you down with ODV?

Comment

true bro true...
                we get 3 ****ty/useless civilisations such as the inca, maya, bantu and no arabs!
                I WANT ARABS!

Comment

"we get 3 ****ty/useless civilisations such as the inca, maya, bantu"

Whaaat? Blasphemy! Heresy! And besides you didn't even capitalize the names of these ****ty/useless civilizations, which is being ungrammatical besides! Why, the famous anthropologists Ruth Benedict and Margaret Mead must be spinning in their graves!

Then too, every game needs some good targets, eh what!
                  i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

By Arabs, you will have to mean it will begin from the time of Prophet Mohammed(saw). But, the thing is that, Muslim had very poor army still they own battles. The own battles not thru skill but thru devine help. Hmmm, how are u going to show devine help in RON? make it like AOM??!! Arab Muslims never had any great army. History proves it. Still with in 100 yr of Islam being introduced, Muslim Arabs conqured as much area that Romans conqured after 1000 years. Again, not with weapons, but with devine Help from Allah.

ANd today, Arab Muslim countries are very poor in military. I think it will be major balancing issue to add a arab Muslim country to RON.

BUT, Egypt is an Arab country which is in RON, Mongols, another mighty Muslim army in RON, Turks is yet another. But, I am suprised with the addition of Mongols to RON. Mongols have the same problem as Arabs. They were military powers but then they died off. So how do u show em in Information Age?
                    RAW, Rise of An Ancient Warrior, Muslims Online Gaming Community, A Five Year old Gaming Community serving AOK,AOC, AOM,WC3,CS. Future Games for RAW: RON. [RAW Site]: www.muslims-online.com

Comment

Mongols aren Muslim...they're Buddhist mostly
                      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Mongols arent Muslim...they're Buddhist mostly
                        Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Not having an American side to play is a bad design decision. The US market is probably going to be their biggest, and there are plenty of units, buildings, wonders and techs that are clearly influenced by, or even in existence because of, the US. And to eliminate confusion, by American side, I mean the stars and stripes, the USA that was established in 1776.

So what if there was no USA in the ancient age? There isnt a Bantu or an Aztec nation now, and they sure as hell dont have nukes and stealth bombers. Going the other way, a lot of the civs that are included were not in existence 2000 years ago either. At least not in any culturally or politically organized sense.

olaf

Comment

I think we can mean both. A North American Native civ would be far different from a "United States" civ. Keep in mind that the game has already extrapolated units for civilizations that either don't exist or are obscure (Bantu, Maya, Inca). One can make the case that those nations do exist as more modern ones, but it's not as though those nations are known for their fierce air forces or mortars.

It's easy to dismiss the role of the United States and (to a lesser degree) Canada in these types of games. Yet, it's fallacy to insinuate that age equates to significance. For most of the 20th century, the U.S. was a world power, and then a superpower- able to direct forces globally and temporally like never before. I think that that makes them a prime canditate for inclusion in a game. Consider also that they would qualify for existence in 5 of 8 of the Ages included in the game (Gunpowder-Info), and there's a strong case for inclusion.

Originally posted by wilebill
                            By America, do we mean North American in the sense of Native Americans like the Kiowa, the Sioux, the Cherokee, the Iriquois; or do we mean the menagerie of post-Columbian European, African, Asian, and Middle Eastern immigrants who added themselves to what seems to have been a rather eclectic North American tribal mix already, and over the course of about four centuries have come to think of themselves as "Americans [sic]" The people of Canada and the South American nations are "Americans" also, remember.

It has always seemed absurd to me that "Americans" (ruled by Abe Lincoln back in the stone age no less) are included in Civ III since the history of what is now called the United States of America hardly goes back thousands of years! I bother to mention my perplexity only because I have seen several posts that seem to be from younger people expressing indignation that RON does not include "Americans." I have the uncomfortable feeling that they are unaware that the Pilgrims did not arrive in the New World in 4,000 BC!

By all means let us have "Americans" in the expansion, but we will at least be a little bit closer to history if we call them the Cherokee or the Iriquois?

And where may I ask are Israel, the Assyrians, the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, the Minoans ... it is not hard to imagine a RON expansion pack with 18 additional civilizations, maybe two expansion packs each with nine more civilizations!
                            ----
                            "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

The Turks are Muslim / Arab

The Egyptians where definitely not Muslim, their religion was based on polytheism (many different gods).

The Mongols probably had some form of Buddhism.
                              Last edited by Darklighter; May 15, 2003, 14:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X