Unit Upgrades In The Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Upgrades In The Field?

I find this most disturbing, that my cavalry units just morph into tanks seamlessly, in the middle of a firefight.

i understand the issue and it's relation to simplicity, and rather oppose the obvious solution (ie, sending units back to base), i'd suggest that units take time to upgrade, at a time of yuor choosing.

for example, if you just got tanks, you click your cavalry and upgrade them. if you're in the middle fo a firefight, you might not want to just sit there all vunerable while upgrading.

ideas?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

originally i think i recall reading something about plans for u to have to bring a unit back to its production building to upgrade...but i think in terms of gameplay that would be more annoying then useful as far as having to satisfy such details of reality..u have to make some suspension of reality in games else u're just going to end up with a game no one plays
    Last edited by One_Dead_Villy; May 12, 2003, 04:59.
    Are you down with ODV?

Comment

But it does take time to upgrade them. When you click the "upgrade" button it takes about 30 seconds before it's fully researched. I consider this the time when the units are being "upgraded" even though they can still fight.
      "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
      - UberKruX

Comment

Originally posted by Bridger
        But it does take time to upgrade them. When you click the "upgrade" button it takes about 30 seconds before it's fully researched. I consider this the time when the units are being "upgraded" even though they can still fight.
        yes. but the second i learn how to build tanks, all my cavalry turn into them. it's like they were carrying the steel with them the whole time and knew how to put them together, and took less than a second to do it.

i'm just saying the units in the field should have to STOP to upgrade.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

How do you propose to do it Uber?

I agree with what you are saying, I just am not sure of a very good or easy solution. Maybe you can only research this while your units are not fighting? So if you are researching it and your calvary is attacked it stops at 75% research completed and then when the fighting is done it continues. That way you get what you are saying with minimal changes and still a simplistic solution.

Any other ideas?
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
            How do you propose to do it Uber?

I agree with what you are saying, I just am not sure of a very good or easy solution. Maybe you can only research this while your units are not fighting? So if you are researching it and your calvary is attacked it stops at 75% research completed and then when the fighting is done it continues. That way you get what you are saying with minimal changes and still a simplistic solution.

Any other ideas?
            well, i am proposing that each individual unit would ahve to be "stopped" to upgrade, ie, not moving or firing.

Comment

But what if they are fired at? What if it is researched centrally and they are miles away from the base and fighting? Should the research continue? Does every unit have to upgrade at the same time?

What if it was that it was researched at a central location but if any unit was engaged in fighting then the research would pause until that battle was finished? Would this be a solution that you would be willing to accept?
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

this is the way its done in all RTS....and I think BHG is trying to keep that part of it so that RTS players wont have to adjust too much....maybe TBS players are used to some other paradigm, but in RTS there are some limitations not only in game mechanics but also in processing.

I would personally find it annoying to have to restreat my units back to the factory in the middle of a battle to upgrade them. It maybe more realistic but man,,,it could turn a victory into a defeat if one had to retreat to upgrade
                Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Working...
                X