Trial version of RoN in FilePlanet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial version of RoN in FilePlanet

Download Rise of Nations Demo. All FilePlanet user can now try Rise of Nations, the new...

Only for registered users!!

El futuro pertenece a quienes creen en la belleza de sus sueños.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Pretty interesting. I see that again companies are encouraging the sites that demand money for their services, which I don't really like... meh. I wonder when it's on other places .

And, what are the differences between that thing and the beta...
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Based on information from Obsidian of RoN Heaven and Pyros of RoN Xtreme (who quotes Graham@BHG), this demo at FilePlanet does not include multiplayer and will remain exclusive to the GameSpy network for only about a week.

I'll be sure to pass on better information when available...
      Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Yeah, I saw info that it's for a week exclusive... which is ridicilous! IIRC, the game is getting released in 10 days, so a public demo just 3 days before the final release seems a really bad idea to me.

I wonder if the demo has scenario editor... something the beta didn't have.

Comment

I have a subscriber account ( I signed up for 6 bucks and got planetside and ron, then cancelled- net cost 6 bucks).

As I understand it, the game will be out in a few days for non subscribers.

Even so, it has this stupid netquartz e-pad software to protect against piracy. The problem is that it's preventing me from installing the game because of the e-pad software.

Once again, software protection messes up a game

If I get it working, I'll let you know
          ----
          "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Finally got it to work by trying it on my old 300Mhz P3, Geforce2, 320MB RAM. Slowed down a tiny bit in big battles.

There are two ways to play-quick tutorial and quick battle. In the first, you play as the english and go at your own pace, with a voice explaining what different things are when you click on them. In the latter, you choose one of about 5 or 6 nations and can play against 1 to 7 computer opponents. There are limited choices for map type, etc.

I did have one lockup in the tutorial mode after I paused.

It feels like the game races along- You're constantly doing things and checking on cities. What's cool is that if you leave a city alone, it will continually be productive without you having to check on it. I definitely found that I was mainly concentrating on my cities near the front. I finished a game in just over an hour in the information age as the germans. The artwork is awesome, and the units look good. I played on the easiest setting, and the computer was nipping at my heels in terms of technology (and beat me to the classical age)

On the downside, the game still suffers from imprecise unit control, though there are options to do so. Too often the battles seemed to degenerate into chaos, but I probably need a little more experience.

The only other thing I didn't like was that it seemed like I could immediately rush into the first few techs right at the beginning. There's little impetus to do otherwise, but it kind of makes the starting units useless

My final complaint is that it's hard to find oil on the map. Maybe I was being obtuse, but it would be cool to have it pop up on the minimap or something.

Overall, it's quite cool and gives you an excellent taste of what's to come. Even without multiplayer or the campaign, it's really good.
            ----

Comment

Sounds like pretty worthless to beta owners . Actaully, it can't give you a taste of what's coming, because the campaign is so different and so good that, well, you've got to see it .

However, this should get those in doubt to buy the game.

Comment

Yeah, if you have the beta, don't bother. But for us unlucky people, go for it (or wait a few days)
                ----

Comment

I'd say wait anyway. I do really dislike the idea of paid gaming sites, as said, and therefore I will be happy if little people download it from Fileplanet. I have though today talked to 2 guys who got it without a fileplanet subscription... gee.

I understand BHG, but it's still a shame that they didn't want to make a normal public demo.

Comment

Funny how people criticize those who try to make money via the internet.

I find it strange how people can not understand that there are people who want to make money off the internet. A lot of people just think they deserve so much for free, and when they don't get their way they complain. An example of this is the RON demo not coming out fast enough, or the demo being available to those with paid subscriptions. Gee whiz! Can it actually cost money for File Planet to offer the hundreds of downloads to people? Wow! God forbid they actually charge and try to make some money from it! Gaming sites don't owe you anything, so complaining about how you can't get your game for free it pointless. I am glad they offer the free downloads that they do.

As I see it, BHG is going to release a demo around the time of the games' release which makes sense because people will try the demo, like it, and then be able to buy it. People just don't understand that FilePlanet probably paid BHG to gain access to an early demo to give their paying subscribers perks that the non-paying people don't get. This is called businesses interacting with each other to profit off their product.

But then again, maybe most people who complain haven't yet learned how the world works and don't understand that businesses don't exist to give free stuff to people.

*This rant is in defense of FilePlanet and BGH which so many people rag on.*

Comment

Hey all. I am new here to these forums, but wanted to comment on the RoN trial demo. I simply can't believe how much I like this game. More and more, the more I play, the more I like it. I think I have finally found an RTS I can really get into. I seem to try them all, but only really like a very special few. Most of them are so generic when it comes down to gameplay, no matter how many "little features" they include, that I get tired of them pretty quick. Rise of Nations seems to be very different (so far).

There are SO MANY cool little things this game brings to the party, and unlike some other faster games, you actually have time to use/enjoy these features. It is great!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forums, and tell the designers (if they ever read the forums), that this game seems to be extraordinary. Thank you!

One question for the experts if you don't mind: Attrition. Now, I have played about 5 games, all very long and drawn out, and all very fun. However, I don't see the the negative effects of attrition having much effect on things. Can someone explain exactly how it works, and tell me if I am missing something here. The concept of attrition is superb... beyond superb actually, which is why I am so keen on understanding it. Oh yeah, and forget supply trucks; explain attrition effects to me assuming I have no supply trucks.

Thanks again.

~ Leaper

*edited for clarity

Comment

I thought the purpose of a demo was to encourage people to buy the actual product.

I don't see how limiting the availability of a demo helps to accomplish that goal.

Comment

You are right! The purpose of a demo is to help sell the product. But there is also a purpose to allowing sneak previews as this allows the sale of more services.

Comment

Meh, I just came to believe that Internet should be free content wise. I've been using free Web content for years, and want it to continue that way.

I do perfectly understand peoples's desire to make money, but I rather thing it could come from things that don't require payment to access content.

And now, cl

Comment

Well, as we've seen, the internet doesn't really work without money (how many dot-coms have gone down the tubes?). For myself, I feel that it's well worth it for 7 bucks a month to get preferred servers and beta and demo downloads. Others still will get the demo, just later, so I don't see the problem.

Anyways, some points now that I've played a bit more
                              -Oil is shown on the mini map as little black squares when you get to the modern age. Made life easier than hunting around the map for it.

-It seems somewhat easy to win with a wonder victory, especially against the egyptians. This is probably since I'm only playing on easy level, but you can turn it off, of course (in the real game, not the demo)

-Each age only lasts as long as you let it. In my last game, I was endlessly attacked by the Egyptians early on, and it took a while to get to the middle ages.

-Unit control is getting easier, but I wish there was a "stand ground" order (or I need to find it)

- It doesn't seem like the computer researches the attrition upgrades at the towers on the easier levels, which means that your troops take much less damage

-The only wonder that seems a little unbalanced is the Terra Cotta army. I built it and forgot about it for a little bit, and when I came back, I had a gigantic army of infantry, which I used to blitz through a number of enemy towns.

The game gets better and better as I learn more. The AI is pretty good, even at lower levels. It attacks at opportune times and keeps up pretty well and will even surpass you if you fall asleep at the wheel
                              ----

Comment

Working...
                              X