In-House Beta 2 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-House Beta 2 Review

Apolyton CS (ACS) staff member Solver has reviewed the second Rise of Nations beta in a three-page article. Ten screenshots, captured by ACS Co-Owner/Administrator DanQ, are dispersed throughout the full text.

Solver is ACS' play-by-email ladder administration for the site's Civilization: Call To Power and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri sections. He also serves as ACS Interview Chief.

Comments/questions are welcomed here.

-------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Interesting review, though it adds only little new information to what I already read (entrenchment).

I wished to get some more in game experiences: as in instead of "the game features XXX" you would write "I was just pumping my X production when the evil Y built the TT and then I used XXX to bring them to their knees while having tea and biscuits." It's just more fun to read IMO.

But overall, a very enjoyable and all round full review, that negletcs no subject and is very clearly understandable

Comment

I suppose this layout error caused by me using Opera, isn't it?

Anyway, from what I read of it before I started going cross-eyed it was very interesting.

Good work Solver!

I seriously plan to buy this game when it comes out in 15/16 days.
      Attached Files
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
        I suppose this layout error caused by me using Opera, isn't it?
        Most likely, yes.

-----------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I wished to get some more in game experiences: as in instead of "the game features XXX" you would write "I was just pumping my X production when the evil Y built the TT and then I used XXX to bring them to their knees while having tea and biscuits." It's just more fun to read IMO.

Indeed, but those are war stories, not reviews. And I do generally suck at writing those... and it's actually a boring read if you have the game that war story author is talking about .
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Nice review, Solver, although you tried all the time to lure us TBS players into trying this game... But it was a good work, I have really not seen in other previews about the game some more specifics about why RoN could cater to civers as well as RTS lovers...

Oh, and fix that damn graphical glitch in Opera! I had to use IE (aarrrghh!!) to read the article.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Nice review, Solver, although you tried all the time to lure us TBS players into trying this game.

That's why I wrote it in the first place .

Comment

Solver, super review! RoN has so many possible setting combinations - which have you found to be most enjoyable?
                Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

It requires way more thinking than real-time strategy games, almost as much as turn-based strategy.
                  You're nuts

How does TBS require more thinking? It gives you more time to think, I'll grant you that

Comment

more time = more thinking by sheer amount of time u have....doesnt mean more thoughts, or rather rate of thinking
                    Are you down with ODV?

Comment

more time = more thinking by sheer amount of time u have....doesnt mean more thoughts, or rather rate of thinking
                      You trying to confuse me, or just forcing me to think?

You know us RTS players aren't used to thinking too much ( we just warmonger without thought, that's why we're gonna kick yer TBS behinds in RoN )

Comment

Goog review Solver

The game does look interesting, first I have heard of it. Off to find some more info.
                        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                        Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                          Goog review Solver

The game does look interesting, first I have heard of it. Off to find some more info.
                          Now that the game has been released, it's easy. Just don't go for "official" game site reviews... my suggestion would be to read the threads by Yin here, they give a fantastic overview, absolutely seconding everything I would say - saves me typing.

Comment

Working...
                          X