Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the release of a demo better for a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the release of a demo better for a game?

Would moo3 have done better or worse if a demo were released?

It just seems to me that the better games release demos so that people can get hooked on the game and therfore buy the full release.

Im inclined to not trust a game that doesnt release a demo, in this economy I cant afford to toss away money on worthless games.

Can I get some examples of games that did better or worse because they released a demo, and games that didnt release a demo who should have?

Tolver.

Worse.... Imagine how many people are dissapointed with moo3. All of these people would not have bought it. Even more, they would discourage others to buy it.

So it was a good move to keep it all a secret....

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
      Worse.... Imagine how many people are dissapointed with moo3. All of these people would not have bought it. Even more, they would discourage others to buy it.

So it was a good move to keep it all a secret....
      Always the pessimist, heh...?

Comment

YOu have to admit that there was huge hype going on just because of the name: "MOO3". We all decided to get it far before we seen any reviews. Even with the reviews we still didnt believe that it wasn't the Moo3 we were expecting.

A demo would have lowered sales, guaranteed!

Always the pessimist, heh...?
        Now that I have seen the contents of the patch, I kinda feel better . YOu know, SP, that by whining a bit more youre applying a bit more pressure to the developer to make a better patch....

No need to thank me....

Comment

THANK YOU!

Comment

From a business standpoint, having no demo was a good move especially if they knew the hype and good reviews were all a smoke screen to keep interest up until the bomb was dropped on an unsuspecting public. If a demo was released the cat would be out of the bag so to speak and sales would have suffered. I normally based my buying decisions on a combination of reviews and a demo. I am definitely not trusting certain reviewers and game companies any more.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

When smac released their demo, it was way ahead of the actual game. people told them about a lot of bugs and other problems it had, and the team fixed the majority of them in response. Perhaps if such had been done to mgo3 it might be slightly more fun to play.
              By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Yes. Using the demo as a public beta. That would have been a great idea in this case.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

A public beta release would have helped to kill many of the bugs before the actual release and thus save some of the bad PR hit and the players' nerves.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                  X