Needs spicier events!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needs spicier events!

This game needs unique event rather than the boring "Lower unrest" or "Research points lost!" Why can't we have some of the following events like:

"While researching Stellar Converter, Planet Jinx was destroyed by an accident in the reaserch labs, there are no survivors" (Lose a planet and experience massive asteriod and gravitational damage on planets in the same system)

"The star Altiar is experiencing a tremendous shift, all planetary enviroments are affected" (All planets in the system gets an increase/decreae in temperature)

"A system/star ship malfunctioned and crashed on planet Jovian 5" (Affects eviroments due to ship and planet size, A lancer would hardly affect a size 12 but a Behemoth would seriously affect a size 6 planet.)

I;m not talking about events similar to GalCiv(would be nice), but I like to spice up the game a little more.

I'd try to steer away from random events that control the game too much, no mysterious space aliens or uber-ships popping out of nowhere. Some more to add variety would be nice though, so long as they are truely random and not "Oh, since you're winning your largest fleet just crashed into your homeword, have fun" events.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
      I'd try to steer away from random events that control the game too much, no mysterious space aliens or uber-ships popping out of nowhere. Some more to add variety would be nice though, so long as they are truely random and not "Oh, since you're winning your largest fleet just crashed into your homeword, have fun" events.
      Aparently you also like to steer clear of games that work.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Space Empires IV Gold is a good game for varying the frequency and strength of random events. I once played a game where I cranked it all the way up and stars started going nova a bit too often for my tastes. I wasn't happy to see the star inside my sphereworld go boom. At that rate the whole galaxy would be uninhabitable not long after I took it over.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
          Space Empires IV Gold is a good game for varying the frequency and strength of random events. I once played a game where I cranked it all the way up and stars started going nova a bit too often for my tastes. I wasn't happy to see the star inside my sphereworld go boom. At that rate the whole galaxy would be uninhabitable not long after I took it over.
          This is the reason I have to enter the cheat code to turn the random events in MOO 1. When I ran P&P roleplaying game
          I alway edit my own random encounter to fit better with the game I was running. No 20,000 orc's patrol chargeing your badly wound party of 6 first level character.
          By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I remember those days. Started playing and DM'ing AD&D around 1977. If I faced something like those 20,000 orcs I would try to roleplay my way out of trouble. Fighting isn't always the answer (especially in a case like that). A good DM is never out to kill you (but he should make you think he is ).
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
              I remember those days. Started playing and DM'ing AD&D around 1977. If I faced something like those 20,000 orcs I would try to roleplay my way out of trouble. Fighting isn't always the answer (especially in a case like that). A good DM is never out to kill you (but he should make you think he is ).
              This 20,000 orcs where from than standard table and it make no sense at all. I make randon encounter that fit the event that was happen. I have one encounter where than red dragon was willing to give then than item to help then fight than cult of Demon workshipper it flew in slow landed than 100 feet from then saying it meanth then no harm but
              want to talk to then . The party attack right away than the dragon flew away.
              By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I have found that if you script an event the party will rarely do what is logical or expected. I would have a grossly overpowered encounter (dragon, etc.) appear just like you did so they would be forced to parley and "learn" something important. For those who are dumb enough to fight against impossible odds I beat within a point of their lives, strip them, and place them in a hanging cage in the dragon's cave. At that point most wise up and quickly learn how to role-play their way out of a situation.

Comment

Oh goody, we're talking about 20,000 orcs thinking about having us for supper and us trying to resolve the situation with diplomacy. Well, launch the Omega Torpedoes.

Comment

The thread is about events, not diplomacy. Start reading at the top of the thread first. (Besides, we moved past the orcs and are on dragons now )

Comment

I also award EP points to player who retreat when able to from no win fight or event. It was mission was to scout than area not to engage hostle force too strong for you.

Comment

What to do if the orcs have omega topedoes?

Comment

That's simple

Release the elves armed with PD weapons and Battlemages, orcs hate fireballs , would be great come to the orcs homeworld and use a stellar converter on it, the alliance would have no problens in warcraft 2

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                            What to do if the orcs have omega topedoes?
                            That reminds me of Warhammer 4000. The English certainly had some odd RPG concepts. Not that I mind, I judged the winning AD&D team at Gamesfair '85 and was a steady White Dwarf reader (a prize for the one who can find the issue I was in).

Comment

My God, people. Can we please stick to only one aspect of being a dork on these threads? I'm sure there are plenty of AD&D second edition forums out there on the web, and I know they would love to hear all of your stories.
                              Listen to my internet radio show
                              Tuesday Mornings 9-11am Pacific time. www.titaninternetradio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X