Changing Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Government

Just wondering, any advice on when to change government types, why to do so, and so forth. In all the games I have played I just stick with the one I start with. Every time I have tried to change I ended up with no production and major unrest for long periods of time. The manual doesn't help much, and I have not seen much on the forums here at poly regarding this. Any help and advice is appreciated.
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

If I'm going to change it, I change it immediately after starting the game. Smaller population means smaller effects from unrest. One of the reviews I read mentioned it, if memory serves. I've noticed most of the time that the differences between governments that you can select are minimal unless you can choose the hive or unification.

Comment

Whenever I change governments - even early game - I also get major unrest. Do you crank up unrest funding, lower taxes, or both? Or do you just have to wait several turns for it to pass?

Comment

I've read that one reason for changing governments (during a game) is to reduct the HFOG. Haven't tried it myself yet since I usually have enough unrest problems (without changing govs) that I don't want to risk a revolt.

Comment

After several turns (~4) the unrest due to change of gov will pass, just lower your imperial and system taxes with ~2% for that time.

Comment

Changing government wins you the game. It reduces your HFOG to the average of the current level and 1 :

NewHFOG=(OldHFOG+1)/2

The AI doesn't do this, so changing gov. gives you a huge advantage.

Example:

HFOG = 3 You change to another gov, and back again. Now HFOG = 1.5. You are probably producing now twice as cheaply as the average enemy empire. You win easily.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Benefits to Changing Government?

Originally posted by War of Art
              Changing government wins you the game. It reduces your HFOG to the average of the current level and 1 :

NewHFOG=(OldHFOG+1)/2

The AI doesn't do this, so changing gov. gives you a huge advantage.

Example:

HFOG = 3 You change to another gov, and back again. Now HFOG = 1.5. You are probably producing now twice as cheaply as the average enemy empire. You win easily.

-Jam
              Wait... .... hmmm no, I didn't understand that answer

This seams like an important strategy point, so could you go over that again? Let's take my current game. I'm the Evon, my government is Republican (IIRC), and my HFoG is around 2.5. So you are saying I switch to say Parliamentary and back to Republican (how many turns do I wait?) and the HFoG goes down just like that? By extension, repeating a few times would get the HFoG to 1.
              ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
              "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
              Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

War of Art - can you explain a bit better please. Toss in an example if possible. Thanks.
                If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

That sounds like an exploit really.

I normally play as bugs with Hive, and don't want to change, though.

(just now trying out other things now my work is done on the C3DG)
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

This is a bit of an exploit, so I only change government on the first turn. If you don't believe it, just try it.

Another example, for those that want it :

The formula applied is NewHFOG=(OldHFOG+1)/2
                    This means that changing governments lowers your HFOG halfway back to one. If you start with a HFOG=3, then one change will move this to HFOG=2. A second change will reduce this to HFOG=1.5, which is half of the original HFOG=3. This is a pretty big change.

For those unclear on HFOG, it is a simple multiplier of the costs of everything in the game. If you have a HFOG=2, then all your ships, buildings, spies(?) cost twice as much to build, and so on. It goes up slowly based on your opressometer, goverment type, economics racial pick blah blah.

Hope this helps.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Reading more about this in the forums at this, and other sites, this seems to be a poorly implemented feature of the HFoG game concept. The exploit is not in the ability to lover your HFoG by changing government types, but in the fact that the AI does not use this effect, and the reduction in the HFoG from switching governments is huge compared to the gradual increase in HFoG over time.

Another consequence ties in with Shnozwangler's observation that the 'Economic' Race trait is rather unimportant since you gain no interest on government surpluses (the opposite is stated in the game, and this was only changed just prior to release apparently). Given that you can reduce your HFoG by the above method and that you earn no interest from government surpluses, unless you play with a large debt, you might as well customise those races that have ‘Investor’ or ‘Monetarists’ level Economics trait to ‘Specie’ or ‘Barter’ and use the points to improve a trait that fits with your play strategy.
                      ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                      "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                      Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Flinx is correct. In custom setups, points are better spent on non-economic traits due to the changes QSI implemented immediately before release. See the game's readme for this change.

Also, the HFOG reduction benefit from Govt change is an exploit which can, over time, out produce the AI. QSI has stated it intends to fix this in a patch, though they do not say whether it will make the first one.

Comment

Where do you find your HFoG value?

I've never looked for it before.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Its on the "Victory" Tab.

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                              Its on the "Victory" Tab.

-Jam
                              Thank you.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X