MOO1 Running under MSDOS Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO1 Running under MSDOS Window

I have recently rediscovered the original MOO, and have installed it under WIN98 through the use of a boot disk, which enables expanded memory, and sets up DOS drivers for the Sound files.

I would like to be able to run MOO1 while running WIN98 within the MSDOS window. When I attempt to do this, I get an error message which states: "MOO1 requires expanded memory".

Can I change the config.sys files to switch on expanded memory using the WIN98 startup features? I think I remember reading somewhere that windows does not run well with Expanded memory present?

While the program runs fine (perfectly) using the boot disk, I just wondered if I could alter WIN98 so I could launch the program in the MSDOS window. Using the boot disk requires me to reboot with the disk removed each time I want to return to regular WIN98 programs/features.

Would sound be enabled running within the MSDOS window? If not, is there a method to set the sound?

Any help greatly appreciated. BTW, there is no doubt in my mind that the original MOO(1) is far superior to its successors, most especially the current rendition (M003)!!

You don't need a boot disk, you can change your config.sys to enable EMS memory under Win98. I'll post you my own file when I'll be back home as example.

Also ensure you have "legacy" compliant sound drivers.

But AFAIK you can't anyway get MOO1 to work in windowed mode, because its display mode (VGA) isn't scalable nor compatible with the Win desktop.

You can play MOO2 too, not windowable either but fun enough !

Comment

Moo1 will run under Win95/98/98SE/XP/ME and even OS/2 and NT. I ran it in all of those plaforms.
      It is unlikely you will get sound to work, but it is lame anyway. You need a SB emulating card and will need more free conventional memory. I usually have trouble with one or the other, but I have sound in my XP PRO, not my Win98SE.
      You need to add the EMS support to the config.sys file. You can use MSCONFIG to do it. You will need to do Alt Tab or the windows key to bounce out, same as Moo2.
      Use the MEM command in a DOS window to see that you have EMS enabled. At least 2048.

Comment

Note of Appreciation!

Thanks to both of the responders for the prompt and informative replies!

I would appreciate the offered information of a sample config.sys file showing the correct way to enable Expanded Memory. I am assuming this should be 4096KB. Currently the config.sys file has a line "no ems", or something to that effect.

Thanks again for the prompt replies to our inquiry!

Comment

IIRC it is

Device=path\emm386.exe 4096

where path is C:\windows_directory

So you should be able to replace the "noems" with 4096.

Comment

Whoops, forgot to mention it will require a reboot to take effect.

Comment

I always just used

DEVICE=C:\windows\himem.sys
              DEVICE=C:\windows\EMM386.exe RAM

that gives you a little more conventional memory.

Then in the .pif file (shortcut to an ms-dos program), set the EMS to Auto. (windows 2000 defaults it to NONE btw)

Comment

Thank you VMXA. I've always thought that it won't run with my ME...

Comment

WinME doesn't support EMS memory at all. You will need Dosbox. http://dosbox.zophar.net/

or you could upgrade to either win2k or xp, which run MOO1 fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwedit
                    WinME doesn't support EMS memory at all. You will need Dosbox. http://dosbox.zophar.net/

or you could upgrade to either win2k or xp, which run MOO1 fine.
                    I know I can get in trouble for relying on my memory here, but.....
                    I have the crappy ME on one Compaq box for a couple of weeks before I had enough and ripped it out and I got Moo to work with no dosbox as I have never had it.
                    No DOS boot either.
                    Anyway, I strongly suggest getting rid of ME in favor of either XP or 98SE.

Comment

Yet another great game what doesn't work on ME.
                      Oh well, I can't seem to find my MOO disk's, anyway... :|

Comment

Try downloading it from one of the abandonware sites.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                        X