I tried, I really did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried, I really did

I tried to enjoy this game. I really did. I didn't care about the dated graphics, I don't have the horsepower for the newer games. I learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but I got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. I was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when I built huge task forces to take my neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. I sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Don't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, I had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what do my ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While my target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost me forever.

Fie on them!!!
    A dictatorship wouldn't be so bad. As long as I'm the dictator. G. W. Bush

And your point is ...?

Comment

To show is displeasure at some of these aspects of the game i suppose, which is fair enough.

I think there should be some kind of attempt to contain these threads into 2 that remain at the top, those against MOO3 and those for it, it might help to reduce the flood of "MOO3 is great because..." and "MOO3 sucks because..." threads, though i do confess to starting a thread of praising MOO3 myself

Comment

I second that suggestion. I myself am greatly disappointed, both by what we've witnessed over the past few months - from great ideas being given the axe to endless push backs (though, in retrospect, I shiver to think what the game would have been like had it been released back then) - and what has been said since its release.

I don't own the game yet, but there's a good chance I'm going to go get it today. Still, the great potential this game had has really taken a hit by those who wanted this game to appeal to the mass-market (mass-market = people who have gotten used to and have accepted crapware put out, dime-a-dozen, by jillions of companies looking for a quick buck without risking ORIGINALITY). If they'd just stuck to the plan of making an UberMoo, and pulled-off the coding, the rave reviews would have earned them the sales they were salivating for. Instead of making something that looks like just about everything else that's been put to market in recent years, they could have given the PC gaming world the shot in the arm it needed to bring back the creativity that made the earlier days of gaming great, stuff of legends.

*Sigh...* God I hate lost opportunities and missed chances...
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

If you buy it, DRose, let us know about your experience with it.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

DRose, I'd advise against it until the patch is released, at least.

Remember that GalCiv is coming out and may fit the bill you want nicely.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Just got back from Best Buy...

...Boris, you're too late. Couldn't resist Moo's siren song...

Alexnm, I'm meer minutes away from installing and trying it out. To be honest, I tried finding a less-than legitimate copy on p2p, but all I found were invalid files. I had EVERY intension of buying a legal copy (and have just done so), but given the disturbing number of independant POOR to BAD reviews, I wanted to test the game before deciding between get Moo now and wait on GalCiv or visa-versa. Oh well...

...Hi ho, hi ho, to install Moo3 I go...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I strongly suggest downloading colin grey's mod. Without it, the game is very very very bad. The mod fixes the problem with ai building millions of transports and have basically no military power. It also slows down the tech rate so you don't get like 10 techs a turn or something.

Comment

Re: I tried, I really did

Originally posted by PaulNAdhe

Finally, I had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what do my ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While my target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.
                  So the actual problem you're complaining about is that it isn't obvious how to specify which planet you want to attack. If you click on the tab at the bottom of the space combat screen, it will let you pick which planet you want to attack. I don't know how it decides which to attack if you don't pick one, however.

Comment

If you don't choose a planet to attack it defaults to the first planet from the Sun doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                      And your point is ...?
                      I think his point is that he tried to enjoy this game. He really did. He didn't care about the dated graphics, he don't have the horsepower for the newer games. He learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but he got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. He was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when he built huge task forces to take his neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. He sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his opponent's 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Didn't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, he had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what did his ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While his target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost him forever.

Fie on them!!!

At least, that's what I understood him to mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

I think his point is that he tried to enjoy this game. He really did. He didn't care about the dated graphics, he don't have the horsepower for the newer games. He learned to deal with the Viceroys, they were really kind of a good idea. The lack of a ship refit was unforgivable, but he got around it. The War / Peace flip flop was understandable and just an irritant. He was starting to 'get' the game.

Until just now when he built huge task forces to take his neighbors rich world. It took a long time to get there. He sent Destroyers and Light Cruisers that were killed by his opponent's 2 System ships. Reload and build larger fleets. Repeat. Didn't have enough ground troops. Reload and ...

Finally, he had fleets large and strong enough to take the enemy and what did his ground troops do? They attack the weakest planet in the system. A size 3 next to the sun. While his target is still sitting out there fat and green happy.

This game has no redeemable qualities. There is nothing here to patch. Rantz and his buddies can do all they want. But, they've lost him forever.

Fie on them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

Fie on them!!!

Ah. You finaly get it? He talks about himself not about the game. I'm tired of those posts. They are SPAM SPAM SPAM!

Comment

It shows the level of frustration, not much else. One post asking 'is it possible to specify the target world for ground invasion?' would have achieved the same answer without all the flaming vitriol.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

But flaming vitriol makes a tastey treat. Oompah!!

I think he hit the essense of the game, even if he did talk in the first-person a lot- the fact that what direct control you do have over your empire is messy at best.

Comment

Working...
                              X