Moo2: Small videos crash my XP-running laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moo2: Small videos crash my XP-running laptop

I've finally gotten MOO2 to run on my XP-running laptop, after installing the 1.31 patch.

Then I had a problem with the screen going black and things locking up, but it actually went away when I turned off all the compatibility stuff.

Edit: Another crash avoided was during the opening sequence - if you let opening play, it crashes, but hitting space to skip them works.

One crash remains, and after some experiementation I've found that it happens whenever the game tries to show one of the small videos. Large videos are fine, such as the diplomacy screen, the GNN and the large Antaran one, but the small Antaran, small SC and small Dimension Portal videos creates insta-crash.

Anyone running XP and getting these videos successfully? Is there any way to disable them, possibly by nulling the files?

Thanks

I am runnnig XP PRO, but on a desktop. Try to copy everything form the CD to laptop, if it has the room.

Comment

I should have mentioned to also try it with the ini set to the hard drive and hence no cd needed.

Comment

I've avoided it now by turning off Antarans and not using stellar converters.. but meh, it sucks not to have Antarans..

Comment

... and you should stay away from Orion too.

Comment

? hmmm, i'm running w/xp on laptop just fine...no patches.....i'll check my settings.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

i'm also having problems with the small videos and i have bypassed the crashes with these safeties.

1. skip intro movie
              2. no antarans
              3. no random events
              4. no orion
              5. no stellar converters

I'm interested in how you people are getting the videos to run on xp. vmxa1, what exactly are your ini settings? my orioncd.ini contains only ".\"

i tried changing the contents to "c:\" and also my game directory and it still doesn't help.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

oh btw i'm running 1.31 on xp desktop, no compatibility settings

Comment

Well the bad news update.
                I had an XP PRO SP1 for a year and played Moo2 scores of times and no issues other than the rare crash I got from time to time in Win9x.
                I got a new PC (Pent 3.06g instead of the Amd) and now I some times get weird video displays that leave my desktop messed up. I have not had a change to play around with this. It is the same XP PRO SP1, but I have the new cpu and Radeon 9800 and Direct X is 9.0a on both?
                Moo1 is running great though. I still have a P-IV 1.7G with Win98SE to fall back on for now.
                I gave the Amd to my son in Florida, so I have no way to look at it.
                It does not seem to matter if I run from the CD or from a no CD. I forget what display setting I have tried and will have to start over, but it is a pain, since I can not see the desktop after it goes haywire.

Comment

well i'm using xp home edition. anyone else get it running on xp other than pro?

Comment

Got another "backup" of the game and now insted of exiting the game I see black screens.

Comment

Working...
                    X