So is this bobbins any good then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is this bobbins any good then?

Is it worth dragging my carcass out of the pub and neglecting my family for?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Laz, wake up and read the forum...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Some say yes, some say no. I am with the former of these opinions, but ultimately, it is for the individual to decide

Have a browse here, read some posts and make a decision based on the responses of the charming Apolyton community, you know it makes sense

Comment

I think the test of any game is, knowing what you know now would you buy it again? I certainly would. However, it has a lot of problems, not the least being a severe learning curve. It takes several hours to understand even the basics. The interface is quirky. Some of the diplomacy seems wierd, although in some cases it is because of things going on in the background that are not apparent (e.g. the present PUBLIC Russian coldness toward the US while in secret they are supportive).
        This game is certainly not for everyone, there's not much "action" and you have to be a bit of a strategy freak to really enjoy it.

Comment

If I were you, my carcass would remain in the pub.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Unless you have a good amount of time to waste, and are willing to read lots of long boring help boxes and tutorials...keep your carcas right where it is.
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I dunno Lemm, its kind of rewarding to chip away, looking for the game that's in there... somewhere... If you tend to buy a game every month or so, like me, then get it. But if you only get one game a year, this isn't that one.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

You buy a game every month or so?

I don't think it's out in Australia yet, but I'd probably consider it. Space wars, mmm . . .
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                  Is it worth dragging my carcass out of the pub and neglecting my family for?
                  Methinks Laz must've been totally sloshed to even contemplate such a thing. By which I mean the former of course.

I've really only installed it and played a few turns, (quite literally), so I can't really judge it yet.
                  It certainly does have depth to it though.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                    I dunno Lemm, its kind of rewarding to chip away, looking for the game that's in there... somewhere... If you tend to buy a game every month or so, like me, then get it. But if you only get one game a year, this isn't that one.
                    Regarding the first part:
                    How's this for an metaphor: MOO3 is kinda like the Mt. Everest of games. Some will say that you'd have to be pretty stupid to risk wasting your time/life trying to get to the top (i.e. understanding the game and later - when the fix the AI - mastering it) and dismiss the whole adventure because obviously there's no lift to the summit.
                    Others - like you and me - go stubbern standing at the foot and say to themselves: ****, this mountain's a mother****er, but I KNOW ther's a way to the top and though I don't really know how, I'm going to go for it or die trying.

Regarding the second part: I buy one game a year and MOO3 was it for 2003 (but then I only play TBS....). Though GalCiv will come up shortly, I know already that I'm not going to regret that I betted on MOO3. This one game will fulfill my gaming needs for a loong time, even if it IS a ***** to play

A game a month? Wow, I suppose that between working to earn for the games and playing, you don't get much spare time...?
                    It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

I'll average about a game a month too. Some will be RPG's that are probably finished in a week or two, others like MoO3 will be played for months (years?) alongside others. I need a variety of gaming styles to stay fresh so I normally have at least one TBS, one RPG, one economic/buider game and one MMORPG on the go at any time.
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                        ...I normally have at least one TBS, ... one economic/buider game...
                        I thought those were the same thing!
                        I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I think Sim City is definitely not TBS
                          Also many people would not call Civ3, for example, a builder game. Its a war game, really, with knobs on.

@Grumbold - Good, I'm not mad then. Or perhaps you are too?

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne

I thought those were the same thing!
                            I distinguish between military games where the objective is to defeat everyone on your way to victory and more relaxing ones where you just get to buy them out, complete a mission objective or just play, like Railroad Tycoon or SimCity (which aren't TBS either, come to think of it.)

@Grumbold - Good, I'm not mad then. Or perhaps you are too?
                            It's the right kind of mad, imho, if you haven't got a family demanding your attention every waking moment.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

I would get it but wait a bit more. This is why:

1. You'll get it for a better price.
                              2. It will (hopefully) be patched.
                              3. You'll (hopefully) have a decent manual.

I played Civ3 already patched and I (almost) never had any problems with any aspect of the game. First impressions kinda stick to you....

Comment

Working...
                              X