Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP in TBS games

Not sure if this should be posted here or in OT but,

I'm wondering about the hurdle that is needed to jump in order to make a TBS game, ANY TBS GAME, really viable for MP in the current market.

What I mean, is that many of the things that make people LOVE TBS games like civ and moo are the same things that make those games "out of the ordinary" or "unacceptable" for an MP game.

From what I think, TBS games like Civ and MOO are based around a concept of taking your time to develop empires and whatever strategies you may think are the best to use...time to think about what exactly you want to do.

Like chess, it can take a while until it is your turn again.

This type of a game, where you have no problem spending minutes/hours/days on a single turn, as long as it's YOUR turn, is no problem.

But, MP for most people means a more of an "instant" type of response.

Of course, there are many I am sure that don't mind waiting days for their turn to come up in a PBEM game.

It can be great! Maybe it's a different type of mentality to get into...After a week, your turn comes up and..BLAM!!...you get to observe what the other guy did and react!

That waiting time is a fact that has to be accepted in TBS MP games I think.

Maybe this needs to be emphasized in the MP ads for TBS games.

P.S. I know I have posted a few threads/posts that may have been annoying to some of you , but I am with all of you here who love TBS games.

Don't hold my past posts against me.

And I guess I am preaching to the choir with this post, but, I have always thought that MP in a TBS game meant something much different than MP in RTS games.

And, I love RTS games, and can't stand it when people say RTS is for dummies, but I continue to say that MP is different for both games.

I think that needs to be accepted.

Maybe a new thought for TBS games is to make 2 options in the same game..1) A traditional game based on the TBS mechanics, and 2) An MP game that has different mechanics to speed up the turns...

I don't know.

I guess my main point is that anyone who enjoys TBS games can't really complain about the length of time between turns.

Am i rambling??

While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

It may stay here, but will probably be moved to Other Games.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
    X