Strangely Addicted to MOO3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangely Addicted to MOO3

Am i the only one who keeps wanting to play this game, find out more details, get really involved and restrain myself come midnight from the "just one more turn" syndrome? It seems that a lot of people dislike the game, or at most enjoy a couple of hours, but i find myself wanting more and more of it. Maybe i'm just bizarre, but i'd like to know if others are actually becoming slowly consumed by it...

As a sidenote, i need to vent my opinion on the theory that all the player does is click the turn button. I often found myself doing just that for perhaps the first 50 turns on MOO2 with very little else. Maybe i just play it weirdly, but i always did well. I think this game needs to be given more of a chance rather than expecting more "instant" results.

Even weirder: I find myself wanting to play, then getting somewhat bored by the game while playing. Maybe I cannot handle more than a couple of hours straight, but I always want to go back and play a few more turns after a break.

(Like right now, but I'm at work )
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I can't stop... I've gotten five hours sleep over the last two nights. My boss thinks I'm on drugs. Oh, how right he is.

Comment

When I sit down and start playing MoO3, I tend not to do anything else until I absolutely have to stop. I don't need a timer to tell me what time it is, I need one to disable the "Next Turn" button Fortunately, I have an understanding SO who says that my focused intensity is one of the things she likes about me, she just wishes I didn't become so mentally isolated from reality when MoOing.

On the other hand, once I pull myself away for more than 5 minutes, I can usually go on and do other things for several hours before feeling the itch to come back and try something different.

For example, now that I understand the way Magnate Civs work, I think I'll do better on my next game. From now on, my early screen when I'm deciding where to send colony ships will have "Similar" turned off, and I'll alternately sort on pop/terraform and minerals/terraform.

On the other hand, I'm not going to bail on the game that I'm playing now, since I tend to be an anal completist at times (If I watch 30 minutes of a movie, I'll usually watch the rest, even if I don't particulary like it), and that could take a while. I'm methodically chewing up the entire huge galaxy since I turned off the Senate victory condition, I'm already on turn 840, and I've got a few TFs where even the pickets are Leviathans. On the other hand, I seem to be the only remaining race that doesn't have Stellar Converter in the tech tree, so unless I get lucky and my spies steal something useful (am I imagining things, or are they happy stealing something I've already got?), I'm probably within a hundred turns of things slowing down for me.

Comment

Yup =)

I work 8 hours (mainly surfing Moo sites looking for more AI mods) then come home, chat to girlfriend, play a few hours, go for a pint, rush home, play another hour, eat food, plsy another hour,play with my girlfriend still she goes to sleep, and then i play 5 hours solid till 3am

im an addict
          WWW.MrFixitonline.com

Comment

Yes, I'm getting that one-more-turn feeling, moreso than any other game I've played in the last few years. I even sneak in a half hour of gaming in the morning - I actually have to use the in-game clock to make sure I leave for work on-time!

Stuie: "I'm going to go check something on the computer real quick..."
            Wife:
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Harry: "I'm just going to play five quick turns so I can see how my new fleet performs..."
              Wife:
              New Orions: Yay

Comment

UnOrthOdOx: "I'm just going to play a few turn...."
                Wife: "Like hell you are, it's my turn to play, you watch the kids."
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                  UnOrthOdOx: "I'm just going to play a few turn...."
                  Wife: "Like hell you are, it's my turn to play, you watch the kids."

That was Civ2. I'm not letting her near MOO3.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Awesome, Unortho

I've found the game addicting. Been too busy the past few days to play it, but I was completely addicted before that... I'm honestly a bit nervous about playing another game tonight... I'll probably just get overly addicted again
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
                      Even weirder: I find myself wanting to play, then getting somewhat bored by the game while playing. Maybe I cannot handle more than a couple of hours straight, but I always want to go back and play a few more turns after a break.

(Like right now, but I'm at work )
                      That's pretty much my feeling about the game also.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Me too. Its kind of like a scab you just have to pick at.

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yes I concur, furthermore I have found that the more I play the game and learn the game the more I get addicted to it. Which is not really a good thing as my uni assessments are beginning to pile up. Grrr where is my viceroy when I need him. He can do my homework and I will do his
                          Its weird though. When I first got it and played it and didn't understand it. I was like...crap I was in anticipation for a whole year for this?? But I still stuck at it and now Im glad I did. Im losing sleep because of it. Im getting sick but hey, no one said ruling an empire would be easy!!
                          -Demos

Comment

I am also finding I am enjoying it more than when I first started. I think it is because I am finally figuring some things out by playing and reading the forums.

It has been tough though. I was going to return the game but kept at it and enjoy it now.

What I think turned me off the most was the complete lack of documentation. It was like getting all the parts to build a car without any instructions. Where do I start? As the pieces start to come together I can see more of what it should look like.

I do wish the interface was better, however.

Comment

As for viceroys doing homework, do so at your peril, as you will find answers in the wrong places, so that 4+4=Chimp or something, as they won't know where to write them

But yes, the feedback and information to the player is my major gribble with the game, but im in turn 93 now and i think i have most concepts covered and worked out It needs to be stuck at! (although it should have been easier to pick up at the start, though this is down to aforementioned information lacking)

Comment

Working...
                              X