No announcement yet.

Why oh why? (anti-anti rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been lurking on this forum and others relating to MOO III for some time. After playing the game I wanted to get on here and vent my frustration with the game but I saw that most of my arguments were already stated in multiple posts and multiple reviews so I didn't see the point. At the same time I think its important to voice your opinion on the matter. If, as it has been stated, Rantz and others are checking this and other forums for fan reviews then I want to be sure that they are recieving a non biased set of data. Granted I don't think its needed for the same person to type the same opinion multiple times but I do think that if multiple people have the same opinion then they should post it. If not then we would end up with the people who are extremely into the game (rating it 5 stars) and those that absolutly hate the game (rating it 1). These posts tend to be emotionally charged and lack a lot of coherence and thus aren't very useful. If we are going to ever get a MOO 4 in the future that at least seems remotely fun then we are going to need to see lots of FAN FEEDBACK both positive and negative. Personally I think this game may have held the prestige of both "Highest Expectations" and "Top 5 Worst Games I've Ever Played." I keep coming back to this forum hoping to find some kind of hope for the game. Even hope that I missed something when I played the game but the positive reviews tend to be people that enjoy changes that I felt caused the game to degenerate. I keep checking the posts that are positive hopeing to find more then just "I kind of like it...this game has some great intentions etc" but all I see are the same few people stating that they like it. I've checked the modders out and I think its great that they are working hard to make the game fun. I hope they succeed but it shouldn't be there job to do so. Besides if we remain silent then we will eventually run into a game market where companys create lists of great things to include in a game and turn them over to the would be players to create. If thats going to be the case then at they should at least give the modders actual jobs

I'm not out to really attack anyone out there but I think people are a little quick to title people as Trolls whenever there is a divergant idea thrown out.

Comment

You may be right, a troll to me is not a person that once post their opinon. It is someone that repeats the same complaints in every thread that they can. This is comon on the Civ3 board for a long time. It does not seem all that bad here at this time.
      Every game that I have followed on a board is like this, some mad, some happy, some in between. If no one is involved in a year then we will know the game failed.
      Last edited by vmxa1; March 14, 2003, 03:19.

Comment

Re: Why oh why? (anti-anti rant)

Originally posted by OmniDude

Why oh why?

IMNSHO, life is too short for that ****!
        Why oh why not?

Life is too short for me to read your post. Besides, you don't appear to understand why people are here in the first place.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It has been said for many years on usenet and the internet.

Why must I conform to your beliefs?

Why must you read my words?

Why shall you not ignore a subject line that you will dislike?

No one makes you read this.

M
          "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I feel the same way.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Read what I wrote: I do not mind anybody having whatever opinion and voicing it, it's their obvious right, just as it is mine to voice the opposite opinion. It's the endless repetitions not by different people, that's building a case, but by the SAME people that gets me.

It seems rather like overkill to take this to the "freedom af speech"-level, but have it your way:

I'm pretty sure that when Voltaire said: "I may disagree with everything that you say, but I shall defend to the death you're right to say it." and Madison made sure that this clever Frenchmans idea was worked into the US Constitution (sorry, couldn't resist...;-)), what they had in mind wasn't to provide for the SAME people entering the local church for weeks on, repeating "God sucks because....[insert reason]" (which is about as close as we can get to a historic equivalent), just as it wasn't their intention to provide for people yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
              It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                Dont write a rant and tell others to get a life.....it weakens your arguements
                Well said. He kind of made his own point (on purpose?).

Comment

Give us back the $50 bucks we wasted on this game and I we will stop ranting.

This game should never have been released. If they could not release a decent half-coherent game they should have canned it.

Comment

I know. That's why I was later talking about the boomerang. I am REALLY trying not to post anymore in this thread for exactly that reason. This time I hope I'll succeed
                    Anyway, I made my point, hopefully some have appreciated it and I can promise that I will not repeat it ad lib.......
                    It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Hehe, yeah. I was wondering if the original poster was talking about others, or himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Aule1
                        Give us back the $50 bucks we wasted on this game and I we will stop ranting.
                        I believe the right to rant comes with the high purchase price.

Comment

Aule - It doesnt quite work like that. the people who made MOO3 worked for a bigger company that gives them deadlines. do you think *they* care whether or not the game is well made upon release? as long as it bags them money, they'll rush the development team to get the games out as fast as possible. the only thing the dev. team could do is simply quit their job, because i don't really think that their company would like it much if they went up and said " I refuse to make this game ".

Comment

Nightmyre, that is no excuse. First of all, they have had *years* to work on the game. Secondly, you build a decent game in the timeframe that you have. You do not do a half job, charge 50$, and then say "sorry not enough time or resources".

For example, if you do not have the time and resources for 3D battles don't do them! Right now the 3D battles are just sad. And I don't want flashy graphics, I want functional graphics. MOO2 graphics were much better. You could see what each ship was, what their weapons were, and how they performed. MOO3 is just a bunch of random dots on the screen.

Same with the 3D map. Why waste the resources on a 3D map if it is basically useless to the player? Maybe they could have taken that time and made Human and Psilon ships look different on the map!! It is completely stupid that I cannot easily tell the difference between my fleets and the fleets of other races.

Third, there are a ton of companies that realize that the game is going nowhere and simply cancel the game rather than release it to the public unfinished. Warcraft Adventures and Babylon 5 come to mind.

Comment

Aule1: You are right on target!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmyre
                                Aule - It doesnt quite work like that. the people who made MOO3 worked for a bigger company that gives them deadlines. do you think *they* care whether or not the game is well made upon release? as long as it bags them money, they'll rush the development team to get the games out as fast as possible.
                                I have not played the game.

The game may be great, it may not be. I don't know, but someday I will find out.

However, I don't believe that not having played the game makes my following comment any less valid...

I always get a decent chuckle when I hear the argument that the developers didn't have enough time, and the game was "rushed out the door".

hee hee hee

While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Working...
                                X