Why oh why? (anti-anti rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why? (anti-anti rant)

...does so many people who are obviously put off by MOO3 and QS keep hanging around here, spewing bile all over the place?

I assume we have all had the unpleasant experience of buying a game, then taking it home all warm and exited at the prospect of losing ourselves completely for hours and hours in the latest in interactive virtual realities....only to find that the game in reality has the appeal of a carefully executed fart: Ahhh ---> ewww!

Obviously a lot of MOO1/2 fans have had this experience and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a strong urge to vent the frustration associated with such a disappointment, even multiple times.....but every day for a fortnight+?

I am more than tempted to say: Get a ****ing life!

If life has not taught you by now to walk away from disappointments, this is an excellent opportunity to start learning.
    Hanging around here, making sure that each and every individual who drops by this forum will forever remember your name as The Guy Who Really Hated MOO3, is useless for your resume, bad egotherapy, a complete waste of time and utterly pathetic way honing your rhetorical skills!

Reminds me of the occasional activist people with cardboard signs outside McDonalds: Yeah, yeah, they probably tell themselves that they perform a civil service by pointing their righteous fingers at various outrageous wrongdoings of McD, but in reality they are wasting their time and more often than not succeed only in attracting attention to their bitterness and personal choices in life rather than their cause.
    But even they usually go home or find some other "worthy cause" after a day or two.....

I have bought dozens af games that have disappointed the **** out of me and made me swear that I'll never buy a game on release day again and failed miserably at keeping that promise. I was disappointed by Civ2, SMAC, Civ3 - even though I still come back to the latter two occasionally - and HATED Ascendancy, EotRS, Star Lords and a few more I can't remember right now.
    The fact of the matter is probably that most of us

But I will NEVER sink to hanging around a fan forum for weeks after having abandoned the game, just to make sure everybody knows my stance. That's putting a sign on your head saying: " Look at me! This is what I like to do for fun!"

IMNSHO, life is too short for that ****!

PS:
    Q:How many country singers does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Five. One to change it and four to sing about how good the old one was!
    Catch my meaning?
    Last edited by OmniDude; March 10, 2003, 10:49.
    It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

*Bravo-Bump*

Not that it was nesscessary, but I'm just showing my support. You're right, the MoO3-haters are starting to grate a bit.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Shouldn't this be just an anti-rant then, against all the rants of the dissapointed MOO fans....unless you count those rants as anit(-MOO3)-rants

btw, to all rants.
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Comment

yes, why oh why doesn't a public forum just confirm everything I think without dissent?

So I apologize for thinking something other than how you feel and wanting to mention it. Feel better?
          "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

Oops, completing an unfinished sentence in the above:

The fact of the matter is probably that most of us have a blurry dream of The Ultimate Space TBS Game, that will end the above cycle - frustrating as it is - and install us permanently in a wonderful world of equal parts Star Trek, Star Wars and Starship Troopers, minus the kiddie stuff, plus the hardcore tech and strategy stuff. Sid Meier and Derek Smart with a 5 years, a billion dollars and the entire computer department of MIT in the back.

And then you wake up only to find that the cat wants out, your bladder is about to explode and it's about 12 degree Celcius in your apartment. That's how real life works but it doesn't stop me from dreaming, though.
            It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Bulls-Eye Jackshot!

If you don't want to hear other's opinions Omni, disconnect from the internet IMMEDIATELY!!!!

There's alot of opinion out there, deal with it.

Besides, the folks who bought into the hype and bought the game genrally can't return it after it's been opened, so they have EVERY RIGHT to voice their opinion.

Try moving to Iraq, I hear only one opinion is allowed to voiced there...

Comment

Also, I should probably add that I'm still struggling to grasp the game having played 25 turns of my first game and being just an inkling from absolutely clueless.

But should I end up finding that the game sucks, I'll toss it in the bin, curse the time I've spent trying to learn how to play it, go "BUGGER!" very loud and head on over to the GalCiv site to check out what they're up to.....

-Mark Twain

Comment

MitchDev (and jackshot), since you're not one of those I aim at, I suppose you want to defend your right to spend endless hours reading posts from the same people airing the same frustration over and over again?

I rest my case, noting that apparently it is actually possible to spend your time even more pathetically than the ones I was after in the first place.

Hmmm, wait a minute, why am I writing this response.......oh my God.....the dreaded boomerang argument.....I'm out

-Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I hang around in this forum to learn tricks for the game and strategies. The forums have yielded the missle rack solution to the PD bug, and saved my sanity in that others have reported the same diplomacy irrationality I've experienced. If I feel like giving the occasional criticism or complement, that's just the way it goes.
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by OmniDude
                      MitchDev (and jackshot), since you're not one of those I aim at, I suppose you want to defend your right to spend endless hours reading posts from the same people airing the same frustration over and over again?
                      Point is, it's not MY personal forum, it does a lot of things I wouldn't be totally in favor of.

It is what it is - ignore or join, those are the options.
                      "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

I stop by occasionally to see how things are going... maybe they have fixed something - maybe there was a post from Rantz telling us how he really needed 5 years to finish the game right...

Then there are the people that say, "I LOVE IT" over and over again... explaining how only smart people can play the game, you aren't trying hard enough, etc.

At that point - I get the urge to type an alternate viewpoint... does that urge come only from the bashing point in my brain - I don't think so... at least part of it comes from the "I hope someone doesn't buy the game based on that info I just read"

If only the COW lovers stay here - there will be no true discussion of the good and bad of MOO...

There is ALOT of bad - and it needs to be stated - perhaps even over and over again - until the developers put out the "plan to fix" list.

The over and over part comes from the nature of boards... people think if its not on the front page - no one will read it.

So we have two main party's the Yea's and the Nay's... between the two of them there will be useful info on the front page of the board.

Comment

If the people who spend all their time *****ing went into the modding forum insead and worked on tweaking and improving the game, I think we'd all be better off.

I don't understand why some people feel compelled to constantly ***** about the game and, apparently, devout hours of their day to doing this when they could be doing something else or, god forbid, actually doing something constructive about what they don't like in the game.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                            If the people who spend all their time *****ing went into the modding forum insead and worked on tweaking and improving the game, I think we'd all be better off.

I don't understand why some people feel compelled to constantly ***** about the game and, apparently, devout hours of their day to doing this when they could be doing something else or, god forbid, actually doing something constructive about what they don't like in the game.
                            Honestly, I am all for modding... I am a fan of moddding, to make some improvements... but right now most of what I am seeing is Fixes via the mods.

It seems like it is the consumers responsibilty to fix the game/application!

I actually like MOO3. Not love--- Its an OK game. But for my money's worth, its the publishers and devs responsibility to fix some of the inconsistencies and definite quality deficiencies.

I didn't buy a game SDK this time, I supposedly bought a whole GAME.

-P

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidyne

Honestly, I am all for modding... I am a fan of moddding, to make some improvements... but right now most of what I am seeing is Fixes via the mods.

It seems like it is the consumers responsibilty to fix the game/application!

I actually like MOO3. Not love--- Its an OK game. But for my money's worth, its the publishers and devs responsibility to fix some of the inconsistencies and definite quality deficiencies.

I didn't buy a game SDK this time, I supposedly bought a whole GAME.

-P
                              Yes, well, complaining about it isn't going to change anything. If you're going to post about it, you might aswell be constructive.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X