Orion Sector review revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orion Sector review revisited

A word of warning for anyone who is still unsure whether to buy Moo3 and reads reviews to form an opinion:

The quite positive pre-release review of Orion Sector does not seem to be valid anymore.

As you can read in this thread two out of three reviewers, after finally playing enough to understand the game, do not like it anymore.

Noone less than leiavoia, former fan and webmaster of Orion Sector, is now very disappointed and must admit:
    well, after i played MOO3 for several weeks it finally dawned on me: i'm not liking this. At first i was all excited. after playing for 5 hours i was shocked/depressed. After 15, i was reinvigerated after i started learning some things about the game (knowing how to land ground troops is always nice - took me 2 weeks to figure it out right). But now, probably a month later, i'm realizing that MOO3 just doesn't have the buzz that MOO1+2 had (and yes, i *did* like MOO2).

I think this is how a lot of the "old timers" feel. Most of us were hyped on the "Alan design". I've been in contact with most of the gang from delphi - it's a mixed bag for feelings. Some are liking MOO3 (Potato, Sencho, Apoc [sort of], PFPulse, more), other are not (me, Harel, Igraca, DeadDireWolf, Duasuul the Namer, more). Many others are just on the fence hopeful for a patch, but none of us got what we were all originally expecting: The Ultimate Strategy Game.
    This reaffirms my current theory about the phases of playing Moo3:

1. WTH?! This game is crap, I don't understand anything.
    2. Hm, I can more or less play it now. There are many interesting ideas.
    3. I can play and I can win, although I have no idea what's going on under the hood.
    4. Now I realize what's beyond the learning cliff: A deep chasm of repetitive un-funness and boredom. This game has no personality.

The OS review was written in phase 2. Many Moo3 defenders are still in phase 3. Some are apparently reaching phase 4 now.

Keep that in mind when reading early reviews.

quite right

however it is interesting to note that reviewer #3 loves the game and won't put it down. he's had it for over a month.

so basically, it's a mixed bag all over. Some will like it, some will not. It just takes a good long while to decide which camp you are in.

Comment

Working...
    X