no refitting of ships doesn't make sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnelos
    This thread is beating a VERY dead horse...
    But hey, beating a dead horse is FUN!!! (unlike certain other games on my shelf). I got it Arnelos, why don't you be the publisher of "Beating a Dead Horse" and we'll have QS do the production. Give them 4 years and they'll manage to blanch out all the fun of that one too. But they'll tell you the delays are for your personal oh-so-bug-free pleasure. And then when we beaters of dead horses go out and buy it the first day, and findout that it's actually an armadillo, and it's not quite dead yet, and we have to make our own stick, then we can all gather here and praise it.

But really, like the title says, no refitting of ships doesn't make sense. I don't care who made the desicion, or when, it's lousy, it doesn't work well within the game, and it's not impossible to add if enough people want it. And if anybody reading this hasn't gotten the game yet, they would be more informed on what was missing than I was, blindly trusting QS to deliver the quality I expect from this series. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Think I wouldn't rather be writing about how cool this game is? I would. Actually I wouldn't I'd be playing it right now instead. But I would want to.

Comment

* Arnelos decides that becoming the publisher of "Beating a Dead Horse" doesn't sound like such a bad idea...

I agree that no-ship refit is ANNOYING, I'm just saying we've been complaining about it for so f***ing long that I'd long since given up hope on that feature...

So it wasn't so much of a shock to me when the game shipped w/o it. We'd been warned well in advance.

But hey... the more people that complain about it, maybe QS will find it in their hearts to change it...

(all things are possible... even if they seem exceedingly unlikely...)
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

If you don't complain nothing get's changed.

Now, what's wrong with Using a savegame editor to somehow point your Eagle Attacks to Eagle Attack2 designs in the fleet design page ...

Yes, it's cheesy, yes there's not cost or control (aside from suddenly higher maintenance), and no way to enforce upgrading only reserve ships ...

Comment

I thought about it... I like the idea of refitting only reserve ships... kinda simulates bringing a ship out of commission for its upgrades

And since we have no real control over what changes are made, the only thing we can do is keep bringing up what we want to see changed. Maybe the designers will notice how we keep beating "dead horse" issues, and do something about it. I hope so anyway.

Comment

yes i agree not being able to refit does suck. For example:

Have a nice battle ship design. Great weapons great armor. But lack good engines. Instead of just upgrading the engines i have to do a complete design of same ship just to add engines. Then rename it and have to obsolete the others. Its a waste of time really having 300 obsolete designs just to add a few extra parts

But i started not making a good fleet until late in game were i have some of the better weapons, engines, etc....

But refitting ships wopuld have been a nice feature.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere it cost the navy more money to refit some old sudmariene from ww2 to fire than IRBM missile while builting the BMSUB . It only carry two missiles and it have to surface to fire them. This show there are limit to how much refitting than ship can take.
              By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that faster-than-light travel is impossible, and wormholes wider than a quark's probable location collapse in attoseconds. I've also read that there's no sound propogation in space.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
                  I remember reading somewhere it cost the navy more money to refit some old sudmariene from ww2 to fire than IRBM missile while builting the BMSUB . It only carry two missiles and it have to surface to fire them. This show there are limit to how much refitting than ship can take.
                  Yes but money is not the first concern in many cases.
                  The first concern may be that you could refit the cruiser to be a jeep carrier and get some planes out to the action faster than you could if you wait to build a new carrier from scratch. Not to mention that the refit may be done without slowing down the new construction. IOW I will get more machinery out the door sooner with refits. I do not care about the cost, by life is at stake.

Comment

All I was saying that refit are not alway practical as those missile carrying sub we make from ww2 sub have more accientical and more mishap than the sub we built from the start to carry then IRBM. In one ww2 sub they cut it in half an put in than entire new midsection which threw off the balance of the sub .
                    I can make than automatic rifle with than built in TV and micro-wave oven but will it be practical to do so.
                    By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Working...
                    X