Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HI, im new here

Originally posted by SINISTER1974
    But what i dont get is how people can insult the game and makers after only having it for 10-15 hours. Thats not enough time to get to know a new game. I think people like this make it tough for the game to lift off because they dont give it enough time to evolve. I can understand some of their view points, but posting same things over and over and getting more aggressive isnt the best way to go. Granted if i went out and bought a 20,000 dollar car and had to wait for part to arive before i could drive it would upset me. ( game waiting for patches =car waiting for parts)

I am a pretty smart guy. I design board games and educational games for fun. I have NEVER had to play a game for 10-15 hours to "get to know it." This includes "Third Reich", "Squad Leader", "Civilization" and other games that are difficult to learn.

The issue is not this at all. There is little to no feedback to the player. There is little interactivity for the player. There is little documentation for the player.

Basically, they made the game as opaque and inaccessible as possible. The developers admit it, and their reasons that it happened are acceptable to me. They simply could not get their vision out, and they released a bomb.

I understand this, am not upset (well, I wasn't for long), and simply returned the game and got "Tropico: Mucho Macho edition."

I wish you well, but remember that whenever a vision is not realized, there will be emotions involved.

This is what happened to MOO3.

Enjoy the game!

K
    "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

The forums didn't get REALLY ugly until everybody realized the enemy AI wasn't challenging. The followup interview explaining that they adjusted it two weeks before going gold and didn't have a chance to test the changes thoroughly is mind-boggling.

They released the 'ultimate strategy game' with slapped-together, untested enemy AI---an unforgivable sin.

Meanwhile, modders are busy giving us a better game experience, better graphics, encyclopedia, even the enemy AI is much better with user mods. All in just 10 days.

Comment

The forums didn't get REALLY ugly until everybody realized the enemy AI wasn't challenging. The followup interview explaining that they adjusted it two weeks before going gold and didn't have a chance to test the changes thoroughly is mind-boggling.
        I wonder if they weakend the AI on purpose. After all, its one thing to be lost in the complexiity of a game and not really know whats going on, and still do ok. But its quite another to find yourself awash in data and be trounced by a snotty computer player.

Perhaps they thought a weak AI would make it easier on everyone?
        By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

The mods sound excellent! Now if I just knew where to get those mods and perhaps others would like to know as well?

Concerning time to learn the game: it took me about six hours to get rolling. And I am a newbie to strategy games and otherwise professional village idiot.

In my office as village idiot I think it amusing that the first sentence in the Strategy Guide is:

"An emperor needs more than new clothes to rule the galaxy."

Emperor? New Clothes? Is this a tongue in cheek reference to the parable of The Emperor's New Clothes? Was the author of the strat guide trying to tell us something?
          i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Great thread and great things said here by many of the posters

I also tend to agree that a great game should grab hold of you and not let go not because it is so complex yet mired in a confusing UI but because the game is complex yet fun and addictive to play. Moo3 is indeed complex which for me is not a turnoff. The more complex a game is the more I like it. Moo3's presentation and functionality are however abysmal and IMHO make for a very poor game that does not reach out and grab your interest.

I don't mind spending 365 days trying to learn a game but during that learning process I should be having fun. A game after all is supposed to be fun. When the fun ends it is time to tell the developers you cannot fool us with your reviews and usefull idiots who praise your game. A bad game is a bad game. Pointe final......................
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
            X