Sadly disappointed with the combat model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly disappointed with the combat model

Before I start with my topic please understand that I am not bashing Moo3 or QS. I actually am starting to like this game but still fear that in the end I will regret not taking the game back. Hopefully things will change.

Now on to the topic.

Does everyone agree that the combat portion of this game is a little disappointing? The graphics are abysmal as is the ability to control what's going on. Furthermore there doesn't seem to be any real usefull information about what is happening. I just fought my first battle last night and was shocked to see my fleet instantly destroyed by what seemed like a swarm of enemy fighters during a planet assualt.

If any of you recall that failed game from Lucas Arts, Star Wars Rebellion, you will remember that the battle portion of that game was far superior to what Moo3's is. At least the graphics were 10x better than Moo3's and the control of your fleets/ships were much better. It was easy to see what was happening to your ships so that you could plan for the next encounter. I have yet to understand what is happening in Moo3 but I will admit I am still relatively new at this game.

What are your thoughts and can anyone shed some light on how the combat model is supposed to work in Moo3?

Thanks in advance.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Moo3 does kind of remind me of Star Wars Rebellion. A good game somewhere, burried deep within an atrocious interface and a totally broken AI.

Well, SWR was kinda pretty, too.
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

I seem to be in the minority on this one, but I think the combat looks pretty cool. Granted, it will never win any artistic awards.

Comment

I can live with the graphics, but I need to be able to see what is on the map. It is so painful to try and find the Planet or the ships, scrolling all around.
        They need to do something about the colony ships as a impenetratable defense.
        I attack the planet and if they manage to get a colony ship there, I can not attack it and the run is a Draw. I am now not permit to attack the planet, I do not get the option.
        If I am missing something (again) please tell me.

Comment

The combat would be extremely simple to be upgraded in a patch. Hell I've made a better 2d combat in visual basic under direct x. What I'd suggest to them is

1) increase the size of _everything_
          2) give familiar reactions to commands such as attack move, and guard.

Comment

I think that being able to pause in combat is very important as well.

Your scanners pick up their ships but you literally have no time to see what they have before you are in the middle of battle.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

How about the ability to look at what I'm fighting? I'm not talking scanning to the level that MoO2 did, but in real time, I CAN'T take the time to zoom in to try to figure out the size of the ships I'm up against, and it isn't visually obvious, especially since I spend most of my time zoomed all the way out.

Being able to pause in SP mode would be very nice too, especially if I can scroll around, figure out where everything is, and plan out my battle. I'm not a twitch-fighter, if I wanted that i wouldn't be playing a turn-based strategy game. Talk about caving in to the masses who insist on having something without understanding what it is they want.

Comment

I agree... the main problem with tactical combat is that I can't tell what all of those pixels are!

I love the MODEL for how tactical combat works in this game, it has HUGE promise.

It's just that it could really use a way to let you figure out "which way is up" (where the planet is) when you enter the combat rather than wasting time looking for it..... AND it could use a pause function. Not for multiplayer, perhaps, but CERTAINLY for single-player. Hell, even Homeworld had a pause function
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Good points brought up by all

I agree, a pause function and the ability to discern what is happening on the battlefield is a must. I understand QS decision not to make it possible for the player to control every ship individually but at least give us the ability to analyze the battle. Right now there simply is no time to see what is happening.

Comment

I have to say, I am dissapointed too. I have heard of things like several battlegroups fighting, you able to control it nicely, hiding forces behind a moon ...

All that is more or less missing.

Pause, wont happen, maybe only in SP, definately not in MP.

Right now I have to zoom like crazy to find the enemy. I expected a lot more. I liket MOO2 combat better. Although they said you´ll have more tactical options in MOO3 i fail to see those. Somebody correct me, please...

Comment

You can zoom in on combat?!? How can I do it?

Comment

Daz:

You're right I seem to remember reading somewhere about how the new combat model in Moo3 would give you more tactical options. This obviously is not the case. Anyone out there have some insights to how combat works in Moo3? I have a bad feeling that we are not missing anything here, there just isn't much to combat in Moo3.

I liked the combat system in Moo2 but I can live with the realtime model in Moo3 as long as they fix the issues discussed here.

Comment

You can zoom in on combat?!? How can I do it?
                          someone didnt look at the keyboard shortcuts guide

_ zoom out
                          = zoom in
                          [ rotae right
                          ] rotate left
                          ; pitch up
                          ' pitch down
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

someone didnt look at the keyboard shortcuts guide
                            *spanks Harry Seldon*

Yea, we demand to know how to hide behing a moon and jump your enemy!!!

It was promised to us...

Comment

MarkG, missing the zoom is kind of understandable, since they list two combinations for zooming, and the first pair that I tried (+/- on the numeric keyboard, since it would be easier to find if I'm mousing around) doesn't work (at least on my machine).

Comment

Working...
                              X