Where the #@$% are my troops?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Envelopement

Is mostly a misnomer. There's almost no case where vertically enveloping troops actually engaged an enemy directly (maybe Crete).

The effort is usually to get on the ground in an advantageous position THEN engage the enemy forces.

I believe current US Army tactics are being called SWARM, i.e., developing multiple axes of attack with a coordiated time on target.

The drawbacks are that your forces would be scattered and unless the enemy was also scattered it would be very difficult to actually develop an advantage.

Most of the successful "air assaults" were actually extremely risk attempts to grab and hold key territory PRIOR to followup by conventional forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P.
      Vertical Envelopment is a high-risk, high-reward maneuver that used to (in the old days) require a high-quality general to pull off.

The "probability" (or whatever it's called) is intended to show the probability of success of your selected maneuver. I believe failure results in significantly higher casualties.
      I would agree. I tried it two times in a row. The first was an enemy punishing success. The second time they murdered me.

Comment

Working...
      X