Do Psilons suck or is it just me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Psilons suck or is it just me

Played a game out with the Psilons and their tech wasnt that much better than anyone elses and their production was relatively poor and their pop grew slower. The way tech is in this game, im not sure if tech can overcome production. Seemed like the Psilons had no real advantage.

Anyone have some tips or pointers or clarifications? thanks
    I'm very aware and do think its prolly just me, I'm nowhere near a moo2 (er woops thats moo3 )master
    Last edited by Killazer; March 4, 2003, 03:41.

Build masses of research DEAs. Put lots of extra cash into research. With the Psilons you should also make heavy use of scientific spies. They have a hardwired research bonus of 115%, so they can do the job. They're still evil though.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I have not tried the Psilons, but I suspect there is no real need for tech advantages, tech comes so fast as it is and and you can hardly get it into play before it is obsolete anyway.
      Productions would seem to be a better way to go.

Comment

Production and tech is the ideal Get customising. And don't forget to keep the HFOG low. Then you'll out-produce the AI like you won't believe.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yup, their research goes really fast if you properly manage your Empire.

And what you can´t research you can get through Diplomacy, because the Psilons also possess the hightest Diplomacy Settings possible.

I prefer to take the Psilons as my race
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I dont know Psilons lack the Industry I need&want
            Mining is even worse and Bioharvest.. no comment
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I have modified the Traits for my Psilons.

They have Average Mining and a Diplomacy which is one Step lower than the normal Psilon Train (but still above average)

So my Psilons produce a big surplus on Minerals.

And Bioharvesting is only a problem in ealrier stages of the Game. So you have to build some additional Bioharvesting DEAs in the Beginning.
              Later in the Game you have enough technologies to make your Bioharvesting DEAs more efficient and so you are able to also produce a lot of surplus Food in later turns.

But btw. I tend to play with huge Galaxies, so any disadvantages in earlier turns can be balanced out by the advantages in later turns.

Maybe with small Galaxy sizes the Psilons have great disadvantages though, because here the worse Bioharvesting Capabilities would mean, that most of the Planets get setled before you have enough technologies to overcome those limitations with ease.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The only time I've lost so far is playing the Psilons, which really stinks because they've always been my favorite race to play. I got absolutely murdered; no ships, no mining, no bioharvesting. It was horrible. I'm going to have to come back to them and develop a better strat.

Comment

They definitely aren't as powerful as they were in '2'. In Moo2, the basically got three times as much tech as everyone else (getting all three at a level instead of just one). True, you could spy/conquer for the rest, but that took time. The Psilons never had to decide between a Mass Driver and a Class I Shield or between Class III Shield and Radiation Shield (god, I still remember those!).

Now, as far as I can tell, you just get a research bonus and I think a few more techs overall. Not nearly as powerful a bonus anymore. And I had to make have my DEAs into bioharvest just to keep from starving! Guess it depends on your start (which, at least, is still true from the Moo2 Psilons).

Comment

I than playing two different customize Psilon races. I think it more of than haveing than certain mind set that help playing any races in MOO3.
                    By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I must say the Psilons did well in the game i used them. I was the Klackon and i was really far behind in tech. took over the Psilons and put every world with HEAPS of research DEA on it (i think my dev plan was Research, research, research). Within 50 turns i had closed the gap with everyone else. So they have a use although they arn't good at much else

Comment

The Psilons have been castrated in this game. They are not the tech gods they once were, and are in fact suffering compared to some races (Ithkul & Nommo come to mind). Apparantly, they were overcompensated against. (shrug)
                        The Total Mecha RPG Project

Everybody, Everybody! It's Homestar Runner time!

Comment

Psilon are best play at the early stage of the game not as than conquest races untril may-be middle-middle or late game stage where they technology can help then win war.
                          In agame playing I than playing as than Psilon I than stopping than other empire getting pass than chech point and defenceing the spinder colony of mine there. Plus I alway diable senta win as than victory con.
                          By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Unlike MoO2, the tech advantage given the Psilons is not of itself powerful enough to warrant its emaciation. Other races have nearly equal technology advantages, and they do not suffer from the same physical weaknesses as the Psilon do. So far, the Nommo, Raas, and Cynoid all seem to be generating better overall returns for technology prowess than the "Tech Kings" of the Psilons.

A major reason for this seems to be that it is easier to invest in technology than it was in MoO2. The tech bonuses are not worth much when a good financial benefit can pull more returns in tech investment, and a research ability is less versatile than a financial one. I can switch from research to building or savings far more effectively with the Technoindustrialists (those races with benefits in research and production/finance) than the purer Technocrats (those races whose benefits are focused solely on research).
                            The Total Mecha RPG Project

Everybody, Everybody! It's Homestar Runner time!

Comment

Working...
                            X