No announcement yet.

Antaran Expeditions: Strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe try this to peg down wether or not another race has an X.

Save game. Allow yourself a senate win. On the winner screen under each race is something about "number of X's acheived" normally they all are at zero. If someone else has one I guess it would say 1 then. Re-start from before the senate vote. Kill the offending race you have identified as having your last X.

Comment

Originally posted by Bblue
      A few notes from my attempt at a 'X-win'

I've dragged out a game I could have easily have won by now in the senate to attempt a X-win and I've noticed I few oddities. Don't know if they're bugs, design decissions, or if I'm just missing something.

After building all the tak forces I wanted for combat, I was left with ALOT of obsolite ship designs in my reserves. So instead of scraping them I sent them off into the wild black yonder to look for the 'Xs". ended up with 8 armadas searching. The first four went through the 'Outbound', 'Destination', 'Archeology', 'Inbound' phases with no problems. 4 Xs recovered, researched, and institutionalized. The 5th X... well things went badly....

The 5th fleet, reached destination, did the archeology, and headed home. In the mean time the remianing 3 fleets reached thier destinations... and then it all stopped. The 5th fleet never made it home, they just sat in 'Inbound' status FOREVER (forever = 100+ turns... (I did mention that I was dragging this game out, right )

So I'm left wondering if since I have other fleets out at destinations if this caused a glitch what wouldn't let my 5th X reach home. I've just now had ALL the remaining ships in ALL the expidetion fleets die off (FINALLY). and have sent one lone armade to reattempt the last X. Will let ya'll know the result.

Another possibility according to the manual is that one of the remaining civs have recovered a X. If that's the case (again accodring to the manual) If I take out that civ, I'll get thier X. Just one thing... I have yet to find a way to tell if this has happened! nowhere can I find info if another civ has a X ( I have atleast diplomatic contact with all the remaining civs) Is there a way to find out, PLEASE tell me if I'm missing a place where this info is displayed.

Anyone else expeiriences with an X win would be welcome. Thanks
      Bblue: This is from the Readme file:

INBOUND ANTARAN EXPEDITION LOST
      If you have discovered an X off-map and have an In-Bound Task Force, there’s a rare chance that you may have your X hijacked by an enemy empire. If this is the case, turn your efforts to spying immediately to try and recover it. Remember, Xs are most vulnerable when they are being researched; and be sure to use Scientific Spies!

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Yeem - Thx, good idea next vote I'll try it, should be pretty close as I've played around 30ish turns since the original post a vote should be cominf up soon.

Asmodean - Thx also, I noticed that little passage but didn't give it much thought, I get the feeling this is one of those cases when RTFM isn't alot of help . I made the assumption that I would be notified if I was hi-jacked, but we all know about assuming I wasn't notified on the Victory screen or the SitRep (as far as I know). And I have been using a lot of sci-spies to see if that would help the situation, only thing is, where would I be notified if they did find anything? the SitRep? I would assume (here we go agian) that it would be a red notification and I wouldn't have missed it if that's the case, otherwise I can't find anyplace (other then yeem's idea) where X-infomation related to other civs is posted. Hopefully time will clear this up as we all trudge up the learning curve.
        "Power doesn't corrupt; it merely attracts the corruptable"

Comment

Just got the vote... Yep, Some stinking roaches (Read: Klackons) grabbed the last X. I wonder if this is what they were referring to with the 'hi-jack' statement in the read me or is there a hi-jack event.

I started a war of exterminated on the roaches. I have dragged this game out so long I using Leviation carriers along with support ships armed with Raid (Read: Steller Converters) But the bugs control about 25 or so systems and having to PERSONALLY control all the ship combat just to get to the bombardment screen is a time consuming micromanagment hell. Finishing this game, although therortically possible, is beyond the limits of human ability. I'll just have to move faster next game.

I just don't see how the beta testers missed this one. For a game where macromanagment is the word of the day (which btw I love) this one remenant of micromanagment ruined my enjoyment of this particular gaming session.

Comment

But you can only control a certain number of combats per turn?

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
              But you can only control a certain number of combats per turn?

Asmodean

Not sure If I understand your question exactly, but I'll give it a try

Since I'm playing single player I've set the game options to unlimited number of controled combats, so as long as I can get ships there I can fight. I think(?) unlimited was the default wasn't it? All I know for sure is I was besieging 5-7 systems a turn (both agianst the Klackons and another civ) and the turns were lasting 15-20 mins apiece, most of that waiting for 8 TF of carriers to blow up some piddlly planatary defence.

Comment

I cut my combats down to three minutes for just that reason. If they can't sort it out in three, then...

Does anyone know how many partial discoveries are required to get through the archaeological stage? The most I've gotten so far is five before my fleet was lost.

Comment

Didn't make a note of it, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is 5 archeology partial discoveries before it is found and you get to go 'Inbound'

Comment

Bblue, not sure it is always 5, I seem to remember getting one after only two partial discoveries.

Comment

Maybe they just affect your Chances of discovering an Antaran X.
                      The more partial Discoveries you have made the greater the Chance that your next Discovery will be an Antaran X or the like.
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                      X