No announcement yet.

one last question i have, for a buying decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Darcy: "It is never explained why something is happening. That's especially sad because Moo2 excelled at that! You could right-click anything and it told you why it's there."

Agreed... they tripled the size of the game, disabled 50% percent of the mouse and gave us a one button interface...(smacks his forehead)

Comment

I think many of the people having trouble with the interface haven't really figured out what all of the tabs and hotkeys do yet. This is not to say that it isn't a little overwhelming at first (it is), but in my experiences there isn't anything in the game you can't get to within 3 or 4 clicks. And, it is important to note that most menus have a "long" way to get to them (such as clicking on a system, clicking on a planet, clicking on survey, etc...) and a short way (click on the planet tab, click on planet. done.)
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Re: one last question i have, for a buying decision

Originally posted by vee4473
        ...but I have one last question that I may need to take into consideration before I decide to pay 50 dollars.
        Well if you waited it's only $40 now.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I don't mind the UI, but if I were to redo the planet UI, I would keep the build queue on the top level and then leave the rest of the economic stuff in the tab where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackQululu
            Simply put...the interface is poor and outdated compared to its predecessor. I'm tired of people who keep missing the point...its clunky..get it? Look up the word "intuitive" if you say it does not bother one personally to click 13 times. It does bother alot of people and so to answer the original post for this thread, you can have fun if you do not mind hunting around alot to get things done. A MOO gamer will kill 5 hours, but he wants to kill it intelligently. Will I play it? yes...Is it disappointing?..well..just look around the forum and the general mood speaks eloquently.

P.S. For all you who wish to fight the roaring tide and cry that others are whining, keep in mind that we were all satisfied with the last two. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
            On the more reasonable side, if they DO patch it up, they should be accorded the decency of waiting to see how they fix it. They ain't wicked people ya know?
            You're complaining about the amount of clicks necessary. The endgame of MoO2 was far more tedious than anything in MoO3. Every new building you research, you have to go through every planet individually to build it. Thats possibly over a hundred planets. And at the end of the game, I'm getting new techs and stuff every turn or three. Same thing with ships. queue up a few then have to repeat through the whole empire. Blah. Is that intelligent use of time? At least the AI in MoO3 will actually build useful items. (for the most part, damn ground forces) (It will build the planetary stuff on its own quite well I've found). To those with the patience to go through that, I applaud you, but for myself, this was a huge waste of time and I rarely finished games, just got to the momentum point where there was no doubt of my victory.

Comment

For what it's worth: I brought the game back today, and the sales person said: "What? Another one?".
              Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
              "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

well,

to clarify my question, I don't care about the actual "act" of clicking...after all, I like Diablo...heh heh.

I was asking if it's true that the info screen you want is available through an obscure progression of screens and tabs.

I like screens and tabs, but are they organized in a way that makes sense is what i'm asking..or is it like trying to memorize a road map.
                While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                  well,

to clarify my question, I don't care about the actual "act" of clicking...after all, I like Diablo...heh heh.

I was asking if it's true that the info screen you want is available through an obscure progression of screens and tabs.

I like screens and tabs, but are they organized in a way that makes sense is what i'm asking..or is it like trying to memorize a road map.
                  Its not hard to figure out where to get what. Maybe for the first couple of times, but it comes easily. The stuff makes sense to me, at least. the new windows are marked by a double arrow. and the basics are explained by the master notes.

Comment

Sux, I gave it a shot... I'm taking it back to fred meyer to exchange for a better game. I played four six hours, felt like I was either pulling teeth or put to sleep.

Graphics... lame.... I could do better, besides the leaderheads... which came out choppy on my computer.

13 of 17 of the pictures on the box are from cutscenes, not actual gameplay

I was too excited to notice..... had I noticed it was peppered with cutscenes I would've realized

Never buy a game that advertises it's cutscenes on the box... it means the gameplay sucks.

And yes, the gui is frustrating.

Throughout the game I felt like I was organizing a tax return, in fact, maybe it is just too real, and really makes it feel like you are truly trying to beareaucratically manage an empire, because in the end it felt like a game that was nothing more than words, tiny icons, and numbers. Boo.
                    Pentagenesis for Civ III
                    Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                    Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Well...

Some people will like it and some won't. Personally, I'm starting to REALLY like this game...

But, then again, I'm one of those sickos who happens to be going into the RL business of political administration
                      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

The issue is now whether the sales (and returns) of the product will justify the company (Quickpatch? Quickrelease? can't remember the name ) being able to patch it into playability.

An obvious issue: right click action menus for everything. EU has it and it helps immensely. I keep right-clicking on fleets and planets to do stuff.

K
                        "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

The reason that I am asking these questions is because Galactic civilizations is coming out in a few weeks, and with my budget, I can only buy one..MOO3 or Gal Civ...(over $100 in a months time on games is too much for me)...hence the gutwrenching call to make.

I don't want to do more than 2 games in one month and I already bought another game in a different genre that I enjoy. Which leaves MOO3 or Gal Civ..

If Galciv wasn't on the horizon, I would have bought MOO3, because I am starved for a new game in this genre.

I have made the decision to wait for gal civ. From what I have read , maybe I will enjoy that game more.
                          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Working...
                          X