Getting into the Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into the Senate

Anyone start out not in the Senate but managed to get in? Any tips on how to weasel your way in?

bump

Comment

to be totally honest I don't know how I got in. I wasn't in when I started. It just happened.

I looked very carefully at the Sitrep to see if any event there would explain how it happened. Nothing.

My guess: during the game and totally oblivious to the Senate members I made very close friends with one race (a Saurian race) . They are in the senate and I guess that they were there before me and proposed for me to be added to the senate and the senate voted me in.

My faction is quite beefy compared to everyone else. I got double the planets, 3 times the military, I have agreements for trade and science with half of the races

only the Meklars can't stand me for some reason : I have spies covering every aspect of society and my oppressometer is cranked up to max, so no spies get through and only the Meklars tried to be funny with me. In the next few turns I sent so many spies that every turn sitrep I would see at least 5-6 messages of my spies wreaking havoc in the Meklar empire and my security forces interrogating captured enemy spies. (but I suspect that the Meklars can't stand ANYONE).

I am playing human by the way.
      Administrator - ghostrecon.net

Comment

I think the Problem is that you have to be friend to one or several race within the Senate which combined have more votes than the New Orions (and all other Races which would vote with "Nay" ).
        One thing which wouldn´t happen too early in the game

Also it would be useful if you´re friend to at least two different Members of the Senate, because to get a proposed Bill (such as "Make Race XY a Member of the Senate" ) into the voting it has to be seconded by another race.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Somehow, I think the process of joining should be easier... perhaps if it were possible to use diplomacy to discuss voting issues, such as getting your friend to request your entrance. What would also be nice is if the New Orions would actually communicate with anybody. lol

Maybe they could steal some of the 'multitasking' diplomacy system from Civ 3, or at least allow multiple requests of an empire at the same time...

I don't like starting in the Senate, because you're stuck in a tight position, most of the time. I don't like NOT starting in the Senate, because you can be booted out of a victory run by an opposition's Senate Presidency win. What ticked me off most when this happened is that I was about to jump on the New Orions to test out their military, but no... I just lost because somebody was made President of a Senate I never even supposedly heard of in the game... (sigh) it's so unfair...
          The Total Mecha RPG Project

Everybody, Everybody! It's Homestar Runner time!

Comment

Ya, I turned off the senate victory. It was kind of lame all of a sudden losing.

Ok, well this new game I did start out in the senate. Didn't notice anything that cool about it.

BTW, do those random bills like senate audit or regulated work hours just get put in by chance? Because there is no option for me to introduce any esoteric bills.

Comment

Somehow I think that we need more political and diplomatic options.

What if I want to propose a bill that is going to impose a tax on all Psilon empires just because they are butt-ugly? I can't do it, there's no option for it and I want it NOW!
              Administrator - ghostrecon.net

Comment

It would be nice if, as with SMAC, you could ask someone (as part of bi-lateral diplomacy discussion) to

"support me on an upcoming senate bill...."

SMAC had it...
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
                  It would be nice if, as with SMAC, you could ask someone (as part of bi-lateral diplomacy discussion) to

"support me on an upcoming senate bill...."

SMAC had it...
                  YES! I miss that one too! You can "Exchange items" and ask a race to start a war against some other race but only if you have full or military alliance. It would be nice to get more "options"...to lobby behind the scenes
                  I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not crying and screaming like the passengers in his car!

Comment

Yeah, I'd love for them to add that...

Considering that their display screen for diplomacy has room, adding the extra functionality would not presumably be that difficult.

Comment

It says in the manual,

"You may pospone your vote to negotiate with the bill's initiator to see what that empire would give you in exchange for your vote in support of their bill."

That's kind of what you are talking about when you say you should be able to ask for support on an upcomming vote. I thought that was very cool when I read it, but I have not actually seen how to do it in the game and no one has ever offered me anything to get my vote.

Comment

It would also be nice to be able to start bills beyond those directly related to another nation. Being able to make multiple proposals at once, and have them be inter-related would be very good.

Comment

Working...
                        X