Direct X Surface Unavailable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct X Surface Unavailable

I was playing game with 8 other player in single player after turn 22 I keep getting Direct X surface unavailable when trying to save than game. I also see trying to load than old game after exiting the game I get Direct X surface unavailable. I download Direct X 9 from MS. Only MS make than program like Direct X which you cannot uninstall or remove.
    By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

When I got that error, I reinstalled the game, and made sure that DX 8.1b on the CD is installed. Never got a DX surface error since.

Comment

I've gotten this error too, quite annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Crostoneman
        When I got that error, I reinstalled the game, and made sure that DX 8.1b on the CD is installed. Never got a DX surface error since.
        I hear they are working on a patch to sovled this bug.
        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I've just posted this in another thread... sorry about the duplication but it seems more relavent here:

Well, although my display functions ok when I run the game, if I ALT-TAB back into windows (like to read the manual or something) and then ALT-TAB back in MOO, the display goes completely haywire... lots of lines and stuff. If I move around the display it eventually rights itself as blocks on the screen are refreshed.

A couple of times I even got an error message about "DirectX surface is unavailable". Now, I've just installed DirectX 9.0 so I know DX installation is ok, and I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000 card which is specifically designed for DX8+ so I don't it's an incompatability issue either...

Add to the fact the display of the game is fixed at 800x600 and I've got to say I'm not overly impressed with the graphical side of the game so far.

Hmmmm....

Comment

Just to say, I only get this error when I am doing things I obviously shouldn't be, such as randomly rightclicking on the task force creation screen (hehe).

I've never gotten it when it mattered, but remember the game saves every turn, so you aren't screwed by a longshot.

however.. fix!

Comment

Originally posted by Epistax
              Just to say, I only get this error when I am doing things I obviously shouldn't be, such as randomly rightclicking on the task force creation screen (hehe).

I've never gotten it when it mattered, but remember the game saves every turn, so you aren't screwed by a longshot.

however.. fix!
              When I go to save a game that when I get that error message. If you go to restart the game after exiting the game you get the same message. This is than MAJOR BUG.
              It a person cannot save or load his or her own game it can
              be than major problen for any game compancy. I think I might have too many save games in the directly.
              I broughtmy computer in 2000 from Gateway with than built in Intel graphic card with 4 meg of video memony, cannot upgrade the video card as cannot turn off the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Epistax

however.. fix!
                Thank for the idear of useing the auto savegame to play the game. But still they need to fix the bug causeing this error.

Comment

I am running DX 9 with an ATI Radeon 8500 with the lastest set of catalyst drivers. The only time I get direct x surface unavailable is if I alt-tab out of the game.

Check to see if your video card drivers are DX 9 complient. It may solve the issue.

Comment

Folks:

ALT-TABBING is NOT SUPPORTED IN MOO3. Its in the manual. Don't do it and a lot of these problems will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Corentor
                      I am running DX 9 with an ATI Radeon 8500 with the lastest set of catalyst drivers. The only time I get direct x surface unavailable is if I alt-tab out of the game.

Check to see if your video card drivers are DX 9 complient. It may solve the issue.
                      One my video card is than intel one built right into my motherboard with no way to turn it off it you put than other one in, plus it need than non-standard slot size. To upgrade
                      drivers can be than real pain I went to the Gateway site there are thousand's of files with cryic name and number which one to you drownload.

Comment

DirectX Surface Error

I get the DirectX surface error also with an unhandled exception everytime i goto the shipyard to make changes to ships. And also at random times in the game. I have no saved games as I have not been able to even play the doggone game. I am very dissapointed as the game was $50 and its a flippin coaster at the moment. I can't understand why this error is being ignored and not publicly talked about by the developers. I am unable to make any posts to the moo3 forum on the moo3 site becuase they don't like my email domain. So here is the only place I can rant.

I am running a 2.5Ghz P4, Geforce2 GTS 64Mb, 512Mb RAM, WinXP Pro SP1, DX9. No tips or tricks anyone has posted anywhere has thus far fixed my problem. I am still sitting waiting on a chance to play.

Comment

Re: DirectX Surface Error

Originally posted by bloopy
                          I get the DirectX surface error also with an unhandled exception everytime i goto the shipyard to make changes to ships. And also at random times in the game. I have no saved games as I have not been able to even play the doggone game. I am very dissapointed as the game was $50 and its a flippin coaster at the moment. I can't understand why this error is being ignored and not publicly talked about by the developers. I am unable to make any posts to the moo3 forum on the moo3 site becuase they don't like my email domain. So here is the only place I can rant.

I am running a 2.5Ghz P4, Geforce2 GTS 64Mb, 512Mb RAM, WinXP Pro SP1, DX9. No tips or tricks anyone has posted anywhere has thus far fixed my problem. I am still sitting waiting on a chance to play.
                          On the Infrogame support page said they are aware of the polblen and their are working on a patch and when it will release is anybody guess. I am sorry that useing the autosave games to play willnot work with your problen.

Comment

ALT-TABBING is NOT SUPPORTED IN MOO3. Its in the manual. Don't do it and a lot of these problems will go away.
                            ALT-TAB is not supported?? Is this 1983 or 2003? That is an inexcusable design decision as far as I'm concerned. Someone was just to bloody lazy to make it work properly...

Comment

I got this error too

I got the error on turn 10. Reloaded from turn 10 save game, no problem. Got it again on turn 20. Relaoded from turn 20 save game, no problem.

It seems that both times I got this error I was experimenting with the keyboard shortcuts, such as "S", "G" and the like. Thereafter, I played the game with the mouse and ESC keys only, it's slower that way but I didn't get the error again.
                              None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Working...
                              X