Moo3: It's like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moo3: It's like...

planning a major ww2 offensive over and over and over again lol way TOO TOO much details The ground forces even have organizational structures going close to an army order of battle lol crazy stuff.

BUT I still like it I just feel they just put way TOO much details and things into the game.. its hard to play really requiring many, many hours, even AFTER you learn the interface and you THINK you know what you are doing, to REALLY learn the game. I guess they werent kidding about that 5th x eh? 5th X = you getting buried in the details

I guess they werent kidding about that 5th x eh? 5th X = you getting buried in the details
    Maybe the fifth 'x' is really eXcavate, as in "eXcavate from under the mountain of detail we're going to bury you in."

Still, I think its growing on me. I really WANT to like it.

-Xelvonar

Comment

This is interesting. I have seen this in dozens of threads.

We WANT to like it?

This is entertainment folks! Why should we have to FIGHT to LIKE something?

Maybe there is a syndrome for all of us who are still kicking around WANTING to like something distasteful....

K
      "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kromwel
        Suppose you are married. Will you get a divorce at the first sight of trouble, or will you try to like your spouse first?

I assume for some, it's a similar thing with Moo3. Although I've never been married and I also am not trying to like Moo3, so admittedly I am just guessing here...
        Care for some gopher?

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!

Comment

I guess they werent kidding about that 5th x eh? 5th X = you getting buried in the details
          you obviously didn't do much research before you bought the game. Right from the start there was talk of spreadsheets and lots and lots of details.

Comment

The details aren't overwhelming me, though some could stand to be better documentated. Of course, I also enjoyed Stars! 2 thorougly, when all that game was pretty much numbers.
            "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by Kromwel
              This is interesting. I have seen this in dozens of threads.

We WANT to like it?

Yeah, that's why no one takes up martial arts, chess or rock climbing as a hobby.
              |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
              | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

I miss your point?

Are you implying that martial arts, chess and rock climbing are not fun? But they are! From the moment you begin to the moment you end there are rewards, failures, good and bad feelings.

But you never say, "I really wish I liked chess. I WANT to like it." and keep playing. You simply like it and continue, or you don't like it and you stop. Simple.

Once I hit this idea, I asked myself if it was the name recognition that makes me want to play MOO3, and the answer is yes.

The gameplay is not up to the name recognition in this customer's eyes. And the implication that I am somehow "not smart enough" to understand/enjoy it says quite a bit about the insecurities of those defending the game and of the developers who thinly veil their superiority complex when speaking about those who are confused or lost in the inpenetrable interface.

K
                "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I am a chessmaster and used to compete in international and national tournaments. In my opinion, Moo3 is big pain in my rear and I have retired it from my schedule in favor of galciv.

Quicksilver got way over their heads on this one. They missed the point of making this as a fun game and with prupose. They mucked it up pretty good. Last time I am purchasing any games from quicksilver.

Comment

The details really kill the game. A game that focuses on macromanagement should not have the details that MOO3 does. They are not needed. They only make people want to play with them.

The game lost its focus. It is a micromanagement game that uses macromanagement tools. I saw a post on the IG forums that linked to some old screenshots. Looking back at those old screenshots and it sorta makes sence. The game WAS more indepth and the details did make sence. But when it came time to release, alot of stuff was ripped out. Some of those screenshots shows exactly what people have been saying they wanted. Yet someone decided that it was too much and needed to be dumbed down. Now you get posts telling you how to play in order to enjoy the game which basically says, just watch the game, don't try to mess with the rich details we have here. They're just details. Click that turn button and let the AI do your work for you.

Comment

When someone says "I really want to like this game", this seems to be a contradiction (if the game isn't fun, and you have to force yourself to try and like it, then what's the point?), but I'd guess that these people want to like the game because they can feel that there is a great game hidden behind all those menus and tabs and drop-down boxes. Mind you, I don't have the game, so I would not be able to tell you if they're right or not...
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Well, maybe this will help yas!

Comment

Well I think overall it's a good game. It's just that you have to actually study it for a while before you can understand it to any great degree. It's def. not like most other games. Oh... and the battle graphics.. ugh.... if those were good I would LOVE the game. If the control options and graphics were better for combats it would suck me in a lot more

Comment

It's like going to a dance and finding no girls there. I mean the music is fun and the mood is nice, but there isn't really anything to do.

After the planning stage there's nothing really to do except move ships around. This could be fun if the enemy AI actually decides to invade at some point.

Comment

Pulling teeth to get the laughing gas only to realize it just puts you to sleep anyways.
                              Pentagenesis for Civ III
                              Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                              Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X