Are Spies Too Powerful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Spies Too Powerful?

Spies are becoming quite an annoyance. I always seem to be the target of way too many missions and countermeasures don't seem to be very effective. I'm either a victim of other races who don't think their actions can be construed as an act of war then get bent out of shape when I respond in kind (double standard?) or I'm a victim of my own people who cry for action then rebel when I crack down. The frustration level is quickly rising...
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

I don't think it's that they are too powerful, it's that they are too frequent.

I have my oppressometer set high enough so no one is able to spy on me. I think some spy should sometimes get through, but they can't.
    When I get a spy into enemy territory, they break something every turn. This is kind of silly. Perhaps they should break something every five turns or so.

Comment

Good point. They do seem to get alot done...
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Spys

I will have to agree that the frequency of the spys is too much, at the very least should be moved to every 3-5 turns. The same should be said for the frequency of getting caught. Spys have a VERY short life span, most don't seem to make it more than 3-4 turns, if the frequency of checks were lessened then it would at least seem like they lived a little longer. I really like the idea of random intervals say every 2-7 turns based loosly on their dagger rating maybe?

Comment

If you're getting attacked frequently, commision some spies and have them stay in the queue without assigning them. Build them with the areas of expertise you're getting hit in and they'll help block.

Comment

Harry Seldon hit the nail on the head.

Just build spies in the espionage areas where you'd getting hit. That tends to solve the problem pretty quick.
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I can get a spy to last ten turns no matter where it is heheh

Comment

What is your cunning set to?

Comment

I think one of the keys to getting them to last is redirection. I'll drop three science spies behind enemy lines and let them get what they can. The enemy will compensate for this. Drop a fourth in to make sure he gets caught immediately and executed. Then drop a military guy in there and watch him bring the empire to its knees.

Comment

I don't have any problem with the spies. Oh about every turn one is either caught, dies, retires, something blows up and a cloacked figure is seen, or my citizens are being terrified but that is o.k.

I build counter spies. It works for awhile. Then after 10-15 turns later I have to research some spy techs or change oppressometer. I usually just research spy stuff.

Comment

Sorry that was a typo. I can't get him to last 10 turns no matter where he is, he dies really really fast.

Comment

It's getting to be a pain to play the O-meter (and as a result finances) like a yo-yo every 5 turns or so but that appears to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisB
                          I don't have any problem with the spies. Oh about every turn one is either caught, dies, retires, something blows up and a cloacked figure is seen, or my citizens are being terrified but that is o.k.

I build counter spies. It works for awhile. Then after 10-15 turns later I have to research some spy techs or change oppressometer. I usually just research spy stuff.
                          I don't know if these was tongue in cheek, if it is it is funny.
                          It sure discribes a problem with the game to me. That is just too much activity for spies to suit my taste. If you dropped all of the tech events in the sitrep you would be left with spy stuff as the largest contributer to the log.

Comment

I agree on the frequency of spy events adding to my frustration. Funny how many things we haven't heard about in all of those beta reports and positive reviews when the problems are so prevalent.

Comment

Hee hee....

I love the frequency of the spy stuff

Different people, different tastes...
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X