Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh?

My Questions.......

Why is it that in Master of Orion 2 I could make races that were radically different, but in Master of Orion 3 I can only make races that are "Sorta Kinda better at Bioharvesting but Kinda Lame Sorta at diplomacy?" What the hell happened to Subterranean, Creative, Uncreative, Unification? I know Unification is still in the game, but I doubt if I can tell what differance it makes.

Why won't the game leave the research sliders where I set them? Did I miss some kind of option? What are all those troop transports for? What race was I playing again, where can I check what picks I took? Why is my ship a retarded odd-lots quality sprite-mutant thing instead of a crisp handdrawn ship? Why doesn't Spinal Mount tell me what it does when I click on it? What does broader usage do anyhow? Why are the research sliders there if I can't do anything? Why are these leaders so many orders simpler than MOO2's?

If anyone can answer these... feel free.

Not sure exactly why some decision were made the way they were but I think overall now that I have played tha game and gotten over the initial frustrations it seems to work together.

Race picks I believe were done this way to gear towards multiplayer where you have a sense of what your opponents weakness probably will be but not for sure.

I don't know what spinal mount does either and wish I knew. At first I thought it protected it from damage but I don't think ships can have weapon damage (would have been a nice feature!)

After the AI built 50 troop ships I cancelled the design but then found out 10 turns latter that I needed more of them. You DO go through ALOT of them pretty quickly so maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing. Be good to know if the AI keeps a balance between # troops trained/built and # troop ships but maybe that makes too much sense.... (<-- patch idea!)

Comment

Why won't the game leave the research sliders where I set them? Did I miss some kind of option? What are all those troop transports for? What race was I playing again, where can I check what picks I took? Why is my ship a retarded odd-lots quality sprite-mutant thing instead of a crisp handdrawn ship? Why doesn't Spinal Mount tell me what it does when I click on it? What does broader usage do anyhow? Why are the research sliders there if I can't do anything? Why are these leaders so many orders simpler than MOO2's?
      1) When a planet finds itself needing something, it asks your researches to research in that area, so they might change your sliders a bit. I think you can stop this by locking the sliders.

2) Troop transports go into your reserve, and I imagine they're neccessary for ferrying all those marines around. Why the AI wants to build ten million of them, I really have no idea though.

3) They're voxels, and all the ships start out too small to really be very pleasing looking. If you find a guardian, HE looks kinda cool.

4) I agree with this gripe. But the manual does say what spinals do, if not in a very informative manner. What happened to moo2's specifics?

5) What do you mean you can't do anything? I set my research sliders, they spend that many points in that zone of tech. Its just like the way smac did it. (though i turned that off to go back to regular civ style research when I played smac)

6) I dunno whats up with leaders. It may be that since they got so radically changed from start to finish, the desginers didn't really do much with them.
      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Opponents Weakness

Can't you look at an enemy races picks after you encounter them in MOO2? Doesn't that also apply to your opponent in multiplayer? Maybe their wonderiffic steaming turd AI was too stupid to account for complex race strengths and weaknesses?

and on the other response...

1) Nope, the locks unlock at the beginning of each turn. I guess if I was some kind of monkey I could sit there and lock them manually EVERY TURN!

2) It wants to build them because it's retarded. That's the only possible answer to that one.

3) Yeah Voxels they are. Blurry little voxels..... But even at that, aren't there stars or something in space?

4) MOO2's specefics were made by designers who understood that games were fun, and that transparency is necessary for a game like this to be fun.

5) See number 1

6) Yeah, well, when you are charging $50 for a product that kind of crap doesn't hold up. I pity them, I really do, but that's no excuse to totally run roughshod through a game, and release it when you know it's deeply flawed.
        Last edited by Grins2Pain; February 28, 2003, 14:22.

Comment

Spinal mount - the spine of the ship is a weapon. The ship is actually built around the weapon, meening that unlike a turreted weapon, the ship has to face the enemy to shoot at it. It is meant to be a very large gun.

In my game the sliders stayed where I wanted them, don't know about the locks or not. Double check and if that is the case, report it in the bugs forum.
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
          X