Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions

Well, I like many others was initially disappointed by the game. Its not that its a bad game per say, just that it somehow fails to come out and grab you like its predecessor's did from the first moment of play. But more importantly I can think of some things which would help move it towards the game it should be, and Im sure others can too. Ive seen some of these in other threads (here and on IG), and some are just my observations, but I figure it may help QS to see them in one spot since its possible some of them might still be addressable.

1) There needs to be a seperate switch to turn off the AI for the build ques on a planet but not for anything else. I personally, don't mind the AI managing the sliders and unzoned DEA's, but I want to build my own ships.
    2) Along with #1, disabling the Econ AI totally should totally disable it including for unzoned DEAs. Some players will want this.
    3) If you have the AI disabled for build ques (either directly or by turning off the econ AI totally) and a build que comes up empty, you should get a message the turn it empties only that it is empty. This should be an option which can be disabled in the options menu. Much like how civ3 handles build ques.
    4) There really should be an interface way to build things like hydroponics farms in individual DEAs. Probally too late at this point since it'd be a major interface change, but it definately should of been there.
    5) The names of systems and their colors shouldn't vanish if you zoom out of the galaxy map slightly. Its annoying to zoom out slightly to get a better view strategically and have the labels vanish.
    6) Diplomatic contact rules seem slightly off to me, and its possible I dont understand how it works yet. But it seems that you either have to be in the senate to know another race, or you have to have a colony/outpost in a system which is connected to a system by starlane which has one of theirs. It _may_ be based on distance and your drive technology like previous games though, I haven't actually advanced far enough yet in a game to tell. It just really seems odd that I can send an armada to attack them, but I can't negotiate with them. Possibly either contact should be established the first time both empires have ships/planets in a system and no combat results. Possibly that should just be a game option when you start a game as well for those who like it like it is.
    7) Someone on the IG boards made a good point that the reserve/task force creation system amounted to near instant teleportion of fleets when players have multiple deployment centers. The easy solution is ships in reserve should remember where they were when they went in reserve, and require a certain # of turns to transit to a distant location to be redeployed there. The other thread had suggested that players have a limited # of deployment centers, which is also a possible solution. I should point out that I havent had a problem with this yet, but it does seem like it'd be a big balance issue in MP.
    8) Minor gripe: When you encounter a planet special while exploring....why does it just say "You have discovered ____ special on planet ______" or something to that effect. It would of been MUCH nicer if it had had a more creative description (without the word special) that also give you some idea what the special did if you colonized the world before you do so or open the readme file.
    9) Minor gripe: The in game encyclopedia seems incomplete. It has no entries on above mentioned planet specials or on any of the individual technologies. I could also mention the manual, but thats too late to fix :P
    10) I know they'll say this is unsupported, but everytime I alt-tab out of the game so far, the game manages to either crash or stop functioning in some way. Most often, it continues to work but won't accept mouse input (though I can still move the mouse). This behavior combined with the planet specials being described in said readme file only, is annoying :P

Anyways, thats what ive noticed so far which could really be improved.

1) I really hope they can do this in a patch. I think its fairly easy to do.

4) I don't think the devs envisioned people wanting to mess with that since microing everything would cause headaches beyond belief. If you have the energy to do that, I am amazed (in a good way)

5) Agreed. But don't expect a fix since the fonts in the game do not appear to be zoomable, so they took out that option to avoid system names from overlapping. Don't expect that to change.

6) I believe that you have to be within trading distance (I generally find early game, you can talk to people who are directly beside one of your systems but that increases as tech goes up)

7) They did this to avoid massive micromanagment and make it easier and assemble fleets. It would have been nice if each system was designated a reserve area and then when you deploy from a MOB, it calculates the fastest way to pull the ships together from existing reserve areas. But once again, don't expect a change in this department.

8) This is actually poor documentation. Its a major gripe for me. I resorted to printing out the game clarifications part of the readme file because it contains info that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE MANUAL. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SKIMPING ON THE MANUAL. Even the readme doesn't have all the info you need.

9) Actually the encylopedia (or craplopedia) could probably be fixed to include more entries without major difficulties.

10) Print out the readme Alt-Tabbing is as you say, unsupported.

Comment

I haven't exchanged any technologies with other races yet, because I don't have ANY idea what they do, or even really what level they are. The encyclopedia doesn't have any entries on tech . . . the manual doesn't have any entries on tech either. What are we supposed to do, just guess what tech the evon has that we'd like to trade for?

And I don't have any idea what to offer for it either! Its insane, there's simply no way of determining whats a fair trade.
      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

7) Reserves.
        I saw somewhere (must have been the manual) that reserves do not become active for 10 turns? Is that correct? I have not played enough to have tried it yet. That would help with the 'teleporting' effect. But it sounds like you have been through this already.........

Comment

Re: Suggestions

Originally posted by wervdon
          Well, I like many others was initially disappointed by the game.
          we have no way of knowing what percentage of people don't like the game. we have several people complaining right now yes, but it is very likely that those who like it are playing it instead of talking about it right now.

And we have a thread to suggest patches in too: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=78827

Comment

Well, there are those that like playing it, but are less likely to get in trouble posting on the forum than if they covertly installed it on their work machine.....

Comment

we have no way of knowing what percentage of people don't like the game. we have several people complaining right now yes, but it is very likely that those who like it are playing it instead of talking about it right now.
              Don't be so defensive over one small phrase. Maybe I am the only one who is/was disappointed. Thats not even the subject of this thread, its to make suggestions on how to improve the game, which does by nature involve some criticism. There's a big difference in criticism with suggestions and just criticism though and thats that one is constructive the other is not.

And we have a thread to suggest patches in too: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=78827
              If you check the post times, you'll see that this thread was posted just over half an hour before the thread you linked to. Though I understand that your just trying to be helpful in reducing forum clutter, in this case its not my fault

Comment

6) I believe that you have to be within trading distance (I generally find early game, you can talk to people who are directly beside one of your systems but that increases as tech goes up)
                I think you're right, I noticed in my last game that I made contact with a race which had a colony two starlane jumps away from me (thats 1 empty system in the middle), on the turn which I discovered space ports.

Comment

I just want to tell AI what to build and not to build. I mean i don't that many hackers. I don't want to micro all 50 planets but i don't need the AI to build worthless things. Towards the end it reminds me of CIV3 where you are just overwhelmed by the number of planets.

Comment

Originally posted by wervdon
                    If you check the post times, you'll see that this thread was posted just over half an hour before the thread you linked to. Though I understand that your just trying to be helpful in reducing forum clutter, in this case its not my fault

don't forget that we have multiple forums.

where do patch suggestions really fit in a good question, Mark's post doesn't make it clear

- MOO3-General: well, generic discussions
                    - MOO3-Help&Bugs Reports: bug reports, gameplay questions, troubleshoooting
                    - MOO3-Strategy&Tips: guides, small tips, bigger strategy discussions
                    - MOO3-Creation&Files: discussions on customizations, posting of files and feedback threads
                    - MOO3-Fiction&War Stories: moo related fiction, war stories, aar's, you name it!
                    - MOO3-Multiplayer: duh

Comment

I would have put it under help & Bugs, but here works ok as well.
                      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                      X