No announcement yet.

What do we think of MoO3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing this game for about three days now, and I think I can sum it up pretty well:

By this time with MOO1/2, I was having lots of fun, but with MOO3 I feel like someone's pulled some sort blindfold over my eyes, keeping all the interesting things away from me. Instead, it's been replaced with some droning radio voice from afar, telling me about ledgers, sitreps, budgets, and an endless stream of technology improvements that mean absolutely nothing to me.

High points? First, the viceroy AI seems to be pretty good at selecting what you want to do with a planet, and I like the fact that the AI won't let you run your empire into the ground too easily by mismanaging your budgets and priorities. Second, I like the star lane concept. Last, I like the concept (but not the execution) of the sitrep.

Low points? Where to start?

Macromanagement is one thing, but I feel like I have very little to do with my empire at all! Add something to a queue here, adjust a slider there, hit the "turn" button, and repeat ad nauseam. Things have been made too abstracted. The menu depth required to get to common functions like build queues is ridiculous.

Spies are far too powerful in offense, not nearly enough in defense. Why bother having leaders at all when they get assassinated within five or ten turns?

The galaxy map graphics actually seem a step down from MOO2, if you ask me. What was wrong with the old 2D map such that it required replacement? Or if it had to be replaced, why was it replaced with something that looks so bad?

And combat! The real-time decision was a great one, but the ships are so tiny it's kind of pointless to even have them onscreen. They might as well be dots. The 2D sprite graphics of MOO2 battles seem lush by comparison. Weapons effects are nice, though.

Diplomacy is a mess! After sixty turns of building up to an alliance, that same race suddenly (and inexplicably) declares war on me, only to cancel it two or three turns later. Then they start the whole process over again. Why bother forming alliances when they are so casually discarded?

How about refitting my older ships? Since tech advances come in such torrents, it's kind of stupid to not allow refitting. After all, by the time a ship is produced it's invariably five or ten levels out of date.

Lastly, the UI...bland, boring, and not the most intuitive layout I've ever seen. The text is too big, the use of whitespace is poor. There's simultaneously too much and too little info on just about every screen. Too much extraneous info, too little important info.

I am thoroughly and totally disappointed, the more so because I have been anticipating this game since the day it was announced. I can't understand for the life of my why QS made the design decisions that they did, because it seems they did absolutely no research on what made MOO1/2 fun to play and instead focused on "we're going to remove micromanagement and build a galaxy-wide business simulator". Congrats, guys...you succeeded. Now all you have to do is make the AI press the "turn" button and I can sit back and watch the game play all by itself. Oh what fun.

If you want an outstanding turn-based 4x space strategy game that allows you to get into the game, have interesting combat, and feel like you actually matter to your empire, I strongly suggest that you check out Space Empire IV Gold from Shrapnel Games. The computer AI isn't the best (mostly because it's predictable, not because it's stupid), but it's engaging. Tech advances actually mean something. Refitting is allowed. Combat is well executed (but turn-based). Best of all, it's well under the $50 pricetag of MOO3.

I'm returning my copy of MOO3 today. Perhaps in five or six months they'll have patched it to the point where it's interesting, but I doubt it. There's too much wrong here for patches to fix. I've now been greatly disappointed by my last two biggest anticipations: Civ3 and MOO3. What is it with folks who can't understand why the prior game was a success? Did QS even bother doing any polling, research, or studies of MOO1/2 players to find out what they liked and didn't like? It sure doesn't seem so.

And don't hand me the old "we wanted to start fresh" mantra. If you wanted to do that, don't call it MOO. It would've saved us all a lot of trouble, and allowed someone else to truly make good use of the name.
    Last edited by prisoner881; March 1, 2003, 13:21.

Comment

As with any game that has the POTENTIAL to be "great", it will take AT LEAST a full month of play before any verdict can be fairly given on its greatness level.
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

This one stays on my hard drive for a long, long time. It's complex as hell, but most of all, it's FUN. Well done Quicksilver and Infogrames.
        Have a good one;

Brian

Comment

My jury is out.

I am just getting the hang of the mechanics. I'll know in a little while if the game has staying power. Up to now I've been occupied by figuring it out, with a lot of help from the boards.

I would say that if I were not frequenting boards, it might not have survived more than 48 hours. Good manuals should not be seen as options. That will effect sales greatly.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

i think the boards, so far, have done nothing more than make me ask more questions about the game.

with one exception: on the official moo3 boards I had read some pointers about properly using the AI 'planet plans' (forgot the exact term).

I imagine in a few days there should be lots more info, faqs, stats and strategy on the forums. At least I hope so!

and manuals... pfft!

if anything, the master notes does the job perfectly for a tutorial. I didn't even start using the manual until today, only after I read the antares/orion story -pretty cool story btw- at which point I've kept the little book handy since.

even then, what I've tried to look up in the manual is really small things I'd try to figure out, for example, how many marines I can stuff into one transport pod - which BTW isn't written anywhere

but I think i figured it out, it's 4 per pod.

anyway, the whole hoopla about not enough information is just way over exagerated by everyone who's got a complaint to voice.

Imagine if you picked up civ3 and you never played the game before. if thats impossible to imagine, then try to remember when you first played civ1. I remember, and even after weeks of playing that game, I'd still be referencing the manual

this game requires some getting used too, thats all, and I truly think, and strat game player can learn it in no time, unless you get really stuck on micromanaging, but thats a whole different story

Comment

Well I love the game I think Infro could have a better manual written. I donot think the manual being poor have anything to do with Quicksilver. I goto the Tex Tech Family Care Clinde in El Paso as my GP doctor. Once time they have than student learning to be than doctor learn how to talk to patient by asking what is wrong with me and why I than here. He wasnot allow to diagore me or exaime me at all then the one who is almost readry to be than doctor does the rest of the needed job. I once have the head doctor of the clinic examine me as by law he or she must see so many
              patient ayear. Texas Texas operate Thomson Hosiptal which must treat all people no matter what they abilites to pay is. This hosiptal is rate in the top 100 hosiptal in America.
              By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I went for one of the middle choices. Though it didn't really have the way I feel about it. It is an ok game but frustrating in the lack of documentation and the forceful way that it makes you play it. Which makes it below ok. But, I think it could be made better.

I think the mistake with the whole macromanagement thing was that they used MOO2. This game is MOO2.5 with macromanagement tools rather than micro. The planet ques/sliders and ship building UI is not too much different that MOO2, though MOO2 did a much better job. The planet summary screen is still there, though a bit worse IMO. The victory screen is similiar to the race screen except most of the info is stripped out because QS felt that the emperor shouldn't know what their opponents are.

To defend my view on the macromanagement thing. Comments like set the Dev Plan and then tweak it show that micromanagement is still necessary.

Comment

Well, maybe this will help some of yous!

Comment

insane dipo AI is not fun

cryptic research goals not fun

passive enemy AI not fun

just building spies is not fun

annoying ship design not fun

viceroys building ships and troops users don't want is not fun

the whole focus of "planning" and not "playing" is really not fun

I really want to ask beta testers how could they not bring up any of these points, I mean did they think Moo3 is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by aiin
                      insane dipo AI is not fun

cryptic research goals not fun

passive enemy AI not fun

just building spies is not fun

annoying ship design not fun

viceroys building ships and troops users don't want is not fun

the whole focus of "planning" and not "playing" is really not fun

I really want to ask beta testers how could they not bring up any of these points, I mean did they think Moo3 is perfect.
                      yes... and notice the NOT FUN part, which, is being nice, I'd rather solve calculus than waste any more time on this.

I am going to take this back to Fred Meyer and ask to exchange, if they refuse, (which I doubt) I will take the cd's out of the box, and snap them in half, rip the box and manual to shreds in front of the store guy and send the remains to Qucksilver. And believe me, I will.

Because $50 is 7 hours of carpet cleaning for me, I don't like cleaning carpets, I pay $50, I want $50 worth.

I have never felt ripped off buy a game I have purchased until now.
                      Pentagenesis for Civ III
                      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega

yes... and notice the NOT FUN part, which, is being nice, I'd rather solve calculus than waste any more time on this.

I am going to take this back to Fred Meyer and ask to exchange, if they refuse, (which I doubt) I will take the cd's out of the box, and snap them in half, rip the box and manual to shreds in front of the store guy and send the remains to Qucksilver. And believe me, I will.

Because $50 is 7 hours of carpet cleaning for me, I don't like cleaning carpets, I pay $50, I want $50 worth.

I have never felt ripped off buy a game I have purchased until now.
                        I than very happy with the game and I than not a fanboy at all . In my post also one time in the middle 70's doctor out of
                        med school where haveing problen communicate with their patient. The AMA ask some authour that write book on how to solved this major problen. The first thing their found out was that their where teaching bedside manner
                        too late in the training and only sent a hour or two on it.
                        The authour said their could start teaching bedside manner from the start as than on going process. I realy think that game programmer need to learn how to write than better manual. I know I have trouble commincate I was born with than damage speech center which can also
                        hindering writeing skill , what their excuse for writeing than bad manual.
                        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

No, it cannot be fun to me. The artwork and layout is aggravating. The user interface is not very dynamic at all. Close this window, open that one, click on this button, there you are, now you want your newly built scout ship to go out and explore?

Well, easy,

MOO3

clear task force
                          add scout ship
                          change task force size to detatchment
                          change task force mission to recon.

press escape
                          press escape

now, wait a turn for the task force to be made
                          and next turn you can move it to the planet of your choice!

MOO
                          wanna move your scout ship?
                          click on the stack, select the scout ship, tell it to move to the next planet
                          Pentagenesis for Civ III
                          Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                          Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Well... I've only played a few days now and don't like it much.

I wish it would entertain me like #1 and #2. Maybe I've changed.. or the game styels has (or both). In any case I wish I could be entertained like I was with #1 and #2.

the biggest turn-offs for me are:
                            missing characters (assasins, fleet masters, ect.)
                            no fleet rearangement

..oh crap I'm too tired to write a decent post. The result of the game just made me sad... in a way.

I'm sure somebody will make a truly briliant strategy game again (like moo2)... someday. I were just hoping for moo3 to be one of these games.... but it was'nt (for me)

well... take care and enjoy what ever game that gets you off.

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega
                              clear task force
                              add scout ship
                              change task force size to detatchment
                              change task force mission to recon.

press escape
                              press escape

now, wait a turn for the task force to be made
                              and next turn you can move it to the planet of your choice!
                              NeOmega, I think you just described nearly every strategy game out there! in a broad general sense, they are all about clicking, menu'ing, info'ing, and waiting. And don't forget the ultimate strategy shortcut key, escape. it's such excitment, i gota get them all!

btw, did I mention yet that I like the game?

Comment

Has any of the folks who post here saying that they like the game had a planet invaded by the AI yet in any of their games?

I am trying to find out if this is indeed a systemic problem with the AI.

Comment

Working...
                                X