Master of Orion 3 - What went right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silellak
    Telling someone their opinion isn't valid because they refuse to do something they don't enjoy for over 8 hours is just silly.
    Where did I say your opinion wasn't valid?

I didn't buy a game to work through it to the point where I like it, I bought it to HAVE FUN.
    Does this mean you're going to stop playing and leave?
    i've got a little something for you then
    Attached Files

Comment

- but I wouldn't buy from a Psilon.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

"people are talking about a steep learning curve when they can't have been playing for more than 8 hours yet, and they're already whining they can't figure it out!"

See, this is the problem. A game should not take 8 hours to learn, unless people are having fun during those 8 hours. Some people may be, but obviously quite a few aren't.

Telling someone their opinion isn't valid because they refuse to do something they don't enjoy for over 8 hours is just silly. I didn't buy a game to work through it to the point where I like it, I bought it to HAVE FUN.
        Really, I have to question you.

Did you not do any research before buying? All your complaints were clearly laid out by Tom Chick and the Avault review. It was even echoed by many beta testers.

And if you really don't like it so much, return the product.

Comment

Well...I just finished my first game...587 turns later.

I can see both sides of the arguement.

I, personally, like a challenge and MOO3 is QUITE a challenge. There are still a lot of things I don't quite have the grasp of but, with anything, try, try again.

Did I win? No.

Did I give the computer a run? Probably not.

Will I play again? A resounding yes.

Comment

What went right... well, QS has implemented a vision that has something other than 13-year old boys as it's target audience.

Can you pick this game up with no prior experience and expect to have it mastered in a day or two? Nope. And that is the point. Let's take an example from SMAC. I highly doubt that there is a person on these boards that immediately understood how to effectivly use Free Market. Or intuitively grasped the idea of crawler farms. Rather, we learned a little bit over several weeks of playing. And by talking to each other on the forums.

People are getting upset about the AI. Well here's a thought for you. Let's say you, me and four or five others decide to play a game of Civ3 as a cooperative effort. You get to be incharge of grand strategy while I am in charge of city improvements and someone else is in charge of infrastructure. Hey guess what, I am going to make decisions that may not quite jib exactly with your vision. And the infrastucture guy might decide that mining those diamonds over there is more important than building that road you want. This is what happens when you have partners. And that is exactly what we have in MoO3 with the viceroys. This is a phenomenal accomplishment. Is there room for some tweaking and improving, of course.

What do I love most about MoO3? Well I am brand new to the series, so I love seeing new concepts and reinterpetations of old standards. But the very best part is the fact that I will play a game into a couple hundred turns and then quit. I won't immediately start a new game either. Instead I go do something else, but I find myself thinking about that last game. What if I did this, or maybe this other idea might work out pretty well. After a few hours of such thoughts I can't wait to get back in and try them out. The One More Turn factor is implicitly high, I mean we are talking about a strategy game here, but the One More Game factor is even higher - and that is what QS got right!

Comment

Originally posted by Kinjiru
              People are getting upset about the AI. Well here's a thought for you. Let's say you, me and four or five others decide to play a game of Civ3 as a cooperative effort. You get to be incharge of grand strategy while I am in charge of city improvements and someone else is in charge of infrastructure. Hey guess what, I am going to make decisions that may not quite jib exactly with your vision. And the infrastucture guy might decide that mining those diamonds over there is more important than building that road you want. This is what happens when you have partners. And that is exactly what we have in MoO3 with the viceroys. This is a phenomenal accomplishment. Is there room for some tweaking and improving, of course.
              what you describe sounds exactly like a democracy game

Comment

A game should not take 8 hours to learn, unless people are having fun during those 8 hours. Some people may be, but obviously quite a few aren't.
                Telling someone their opinion isn't valid because they refuse to do something they don't enjoy for over 8 hours is just silly. I didn't buy a game to work through it to the point where I like it, I bought it to HAVE FUN.
                As to the first part: So learning MOO3 is more like learning to surf or stepping up from Civ2 to Civ3 than to play C&C version umpteen. Sounds good to me.
                Most things worth spending your time on will take some time to learn.
                (no, haven't gotten it yet)

As to the second point: Telling somebody that their opinion isn't valid because they don't mind doing something they don't enjoy for over 8 hours is equally silly. If you don't like people passing judgment on your opinions, guess what the smart thing to do is?

Come to think of it, good strategy games IMHO are usually not built around the idea of having FUN, but rather to pose a mental CHALLENGE. I don't play to have laugh, I play to exercise my "little grey cells".
                To me it sounds like you probably just should not get/have gotten the game.
                It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

"Come to think of it, good strategy games IMHO are usually not built around the idea of having FUN, but rather to pose a mental CHALLENGE. I don't play to have laugh, I play to exercise my "little grey cells".
                  To me it sounds like you probably just should not get/have gotten the game."

Odd, both MOO1 and MOO2 posed mental challenges, and were actually fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure MOO3 is fun for some people. But I can't help but get the feeling that Quicksilver hijacked the Master of Orion name in order to sell boxes, while the game is really nothing like anything else in the series.

Which would be fine, but at least rename the game. The whole idea of a series is that it has the same basic feel with minor enhancements/changes. At least, that's what I always believed.

Comment

They did awhat that was right. May-be they need than better manul inproval the al alittle. I have touble with my intellpoint mouse does anybody have any idear the pointer flash on and off.
                    By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Silellak,

ah, but MOO1 and 2 are meant to be topped, right?! You might say that this is more of a MOO4 or 5 than the MOO2.5 that you seem to have expected, but that can hardly come as a surprise if you've read about the level of ambition set by the developers.

I am currently being bored out of my skull playing endgame in Civ3, micromanagement hell is definately a problem. Making a system that provides the MOO3 AI with enough "policy input" to actually do what you want it to, has to affect the learning curve. From what I've heard so far, the end result is actually satisfactory, even if it is not perfect.

And I can't imagine that anyone at QS believe that putting a apparently VERY complex game together will sell boxes.
                      It may be the rationale of IG to use the MOO as a brand, but they are behind at least some of the cuts made towards the end of the development phase, so they would seem to be your allies, so to speak.

Lastly, what exactly is it that you think sets it so far apart from the rest of the series?
                      It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

OK, just saw your "what went wrong"-thread, which answers my last question.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
                          They did awhat that was right. May-be they need than better manul inproval the al alittle. I have touble with my intellpoint mouse does anybody have any idear the pointer flash on and off.
                          Change the pointer to "System Mouse" in the Game Options. Works for me. Less ugly too.

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

It's Every Thing I've looked for.

Overwhelmed? Steep Learning Curve? Menu's everywhere? I've only played for one day?

How many times have I read the above statements? Sometimes in the same sentence.

First, I've never played any of the games in this series prior to purchasing MOO3 yesterday. I've been a big fan of Civilization, SMAC, the AOE, and Starcraft series, but something was missing for me between these two types of games (Turn Based and Real Time). But I think MOO3 has what's missing (for me anyway).

Yes its daunting at first, I've only got 5 planets, played 73 turns, and I still haven't figured out how to put troops on a troop transport. I have enemy spies blowing stuff up left and right. But I love the Interface, and the fact I can delegate things - and they seem to work very well.

Maybe I'm a geek as I enjoy involved things, and part of the thrill is understanding what goes on in the background.

Basically, my vote this is a great game - it has some bugs I think, with the Direct X surface errors, and some of the text views are "blurry", but if your a fan of Turn Based Strategy games - try this, you will most likely find it very engrossing. If you are a big Real Time Strategy fan - I'd say it's not for you, but I'd try it anyway just because I feel it comes off as a true Strategy game. By that I mean you are more like the general directing your forces (moving the peaces on the board).

Try it out at least. I love it so far. I'll probably be fired today from playing it at work.

Comment

It deffinately does have a steep learning curve and can be very overwhelming at first (I took two hours on my first turn, going through all the tutorial help and checking with the manual), but this is because it has so many original concepts and is not just a simple civ clone. I have not played enough to get completely familiar with it, but the more I play the more I appretiate the new concepts and ideas they've added to the genre.

Some people think that the game plays itself... well, it only does when you don't do anything. If you lose interest or forget about managing something ,the AI will pick up the slack. But you're always able to take control when you want to. (mind you... I don't quite understand the method of building improvements within the DEAs yet, and I have noticed my research priorities slip by a percent or two the turn after changing them, but if I move them back to where I set it, they don't move again - I'm not sure if that's related to the AI or just a bug)
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

"people are talking about a steep learning curve when they can't have been playing for more than 8 hours yet, and they're already whining they can't figure it out!"

See, this is the problem. A game should not take 8 hours to learn, unless people are having fun during those 8 hours. Some people may be, but obviously quite a few aren't.

I don't agree. IIRC MoO3 was never sold as a 'Dive right into the fun' kind of game, so complaining that it takes time to learn is invalid. Just like it would be silly of me to buy Unreal 2 and complain about the precense of violence or buying an NFL game and complaining about the need to learn a bit about football.

Comment

Working...
                                X