Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Population growth question?

Hi
    Can somebody explain the mechaincs of population growth?
    In most of my planets , it is very low (0.01 per turn) and I have no idea how to increase it. Is it necessary to have enough bioharvest DEA' s in each planet or does planets share the resources? I understand from the manual that they share the resources so it won't be necessary to build bio DEA's in each planet since some creates more food than necessary.

Thanks

I suspect that it is in part a function of your racial traits.

Comment

I know different races have different population growth rates but i don't think there is a population growth penalty for klackons and i had the same problem when i played with them. I colonize only green or better planets. Is there a way to increase population growth rate in this game?

I didn't play MOO or MOO2 so I have no idea about the mechanics.

Comment

Planetary specials such as HE Geo Fields increase growth. Hostile Gases and avoid having the many pop suppressors specials on that planets.

Comment

If it is like Moo2, then the population growth is also a function of current population...at very small populations, the growth will be very low, but as he population grows it will increase significantly. In Moo2, it slowed down at the upper max for a planet, but not sure it will do that here since there is the emigration thingy.

Comment

If you open up the demographics tab in the planet screen, you will see a slider bar indicating where the population level is.

75% of it is green meaning that as long as your pop is in this zone, it will grow as a function of current pop.

The next part is an educated guess but from what I can tell, once you hit yellow, your growth rate remains as a function of current pop but people will emigrate to other planets in your system or empire since there is overcrowding. I have never seen a planet have enough population to hit the red zone but I assume thats when overcrowding is critical and pop growth slows down.

Comment

Under the planet screen, you can also select a planet for emigration. I had a couple of low pop planets until I remember this, then found it, then activated it. Each turn you will get a report as to the number of people who emigrated to the selected planet(s). Not sure how much it actually helped, but at least I could see some progress. Sooner than I expected I had colonies that were acutally producing rather than draining from my economy.
              If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                Going over the manual again, I find that population growth is also related to fertility of the planet. Since I never checked it before, a better average fertility does result a better population growth. Also more developed planets seems to populate faster (More bars in the circle around the planet sees to effect the population growth). I wonder if the number of excess food effect the population growth. I guess it doesn't. Maybe I should find some better planets to create population and emigrate it to others.

Thanks again

Comment

Yeah, that was a Moo2 tactic....build a cloning center on a large planet and export population to new planets....got them up and running quickly, and your base planet recovered rapidly due to its large population and buildings that promoted population growth. I am assuming there are some population boosters down the tech tree somewhere......

Comment

Morale boosts the growth rate as well, if I remember my reading correctly. I haven't played yet, so I could be wrong.

Comment

If you look at the spreadsheets in the game you'll notice that there are tons and tons of modifiers for population growth. Most of them I have no clue about. So I don't think you can pinpoint it easily. But to get a rough idea, check aforementioned spreadsheets.

Comment

Try this
                        The Most Comprehensive UNofficial Sci-Fi TBS Site Online.

This info is partly outdated, but still it's very useful.

Index page http://www.orionsector.com/pages/dd/datadumps.shtml
                        Knowledge is Power

Comment

Working...
                        X