After Action Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Action Reports

Everyone, let's post AARs here for the rest of everyone to enjoy!

I was playing a huge cluster galaxy map as the humans, going good for about 120+ turns, I had 16 colonies, and about 20 ship...then all of the sudden, one turn later every single colony goes straight to high unrest, with some revolting.

I'm trying to figure out if 120 turns is a lot, or a little...so I can gauge whether maybe I expanded and built too much too fast, or was lagging behind too much. I've read some people saying by turn 170 they've won with all 25 research, and I've only ever gotten up to 15 research. I read manual, game isn't too hard to understand, the AI is pretty good except for building too many troop transports.

Harvesters are cool...but kinda, well...I guess I am trying to figure out whether or not I expanded too fast and that caused unrest, any ideas anyone?
    Veni, vidi, vici.
    [I came, I saw, I conquered].
    -- Gaius Julius Caesar

I've run into that playing Call to Power II but not MOO3 (not yet anyway).
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

You never should evenly distribute techs. Even people at QSI bump one research to 60, 70 even 80%...

I play with 33-40% Energy, 20-30% Physical, 20-30% Math... and milk around the others. (I often do a little Biological to get the Hydroponic Farms).

The other techs? Steal 'em or trade for them.

Comment

Well...

I'm currently on turn 374...

Had to shut down for a bit...eyes hurt...need food...too much caffeine...hands shaking...

Comment

Instant Death

My funniest game so far was in a small cluster galaxy. I set up to play a fairly short game, and then found that my starting system had the following, uh, problems:

A) it was at the edge of the galaxy, so I wasn't in the Senate
          B) two starlanes to the south, both leading into home systems of other races. Both of these were farily polite races that ended up as my buddies.
          C) one starlane to the north, leading to the home system of -- you guessed it! -- a Harvester race.

I managed to befriend everyone else eventually but was unable to withstand the waves of IF frigates the Harvesters sent into my system. I had to divert all my funding just to get some ships built in a reasonable amount of time. And of course, I hadn't been able to expand since all my neighbors waxed my colony ships on their way through their systems for the first 30 turns
          I eventually concluded that it was a lost cause from the start...

Comment

Well, the solution is that when you have a Harvester race above you, built System Ships. Their sole purpose is to protect your system, and since they don't have star drives, they have more space to put stuff on them.

Build a cluster of five cutters (I call Bees) to immediately provide protection. Then build a large starbase. From there, build a few system frigates that are long range attack, and some system frigates that are short range attacks, but instead of weaponry, has interceptors (best armor), with a token weapon to defend itself.

You made friends with one of the systems? You should have at least offered a Defensive Alliance with them. The Harvesters will know you have a defensive alliance and may bide their time more, allowing you to build a better defensive force of Star Ships.

Don't forget to build Marines and Infantry and whatever ground troops you have. They're cheap to build, but also protect your planet from invasion.

Comment

grrr

For what it's worth, this thread is "After Action Reports", not "Please Tell Me What I Did Wrong In My Second Game Of Moo3". I was wondering earlier why people were being rude to you after you replied to them, but it didn't take long for you to get me a little bit miffed. People aren't always asking for a solution. *shrug*

Comment

Well, going with the theme. of AARs...

My first game:

Stock humans, small cluster, many short starlanes, 8 races.

The first thing (after going wow for about an hour and a half) was trying to expand. Maybe I was unlucky, but I found system after system full of Red 1 and Red 2 Planets. I was having to give "send colony ship" orders to Yellow 1 planets. Then I had a fight. My scoutship bravely tried to shootdown the Guardian of Fierras. That didn't work so well. then I mucked around with things for a few hours... what does this do? Then I found some Green planets in a system. It was the Ithkul home system. Now I started building my invasion fleet. Hmm, contrary to others experience I had no transports or Ground troops built, so the preparations took some time. Then I struck, destoying the Ithkul fleet (of 3 small system ships) and invaded their homeworld. I was expecting a furious resistance, but my 24 mobile units beat the one Ithkul milita with ease. Hmm, I thought. Then I mucked around again for ages.

One thing. As I had about 6-10 planets (now in turn 120 something) I was happy to micro everything. Because I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm probably making things worse, but I figure there's two ways to play this game. Use the AI, or do everything yourself. Sure, this is being a bit time consuming, but so what if one game takes 2 months ?

That's my impression so far.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I do a cross of two: I micro my core systems, and let the AI deal with the "who cares?" filler planets.

Comment

My first finished game

I started out as an almost out-of-the-box cynoid empire named the Samothracians. We started out in the senate, with the Evon, Nommo, Eoladi, Silicoids, and Tachidi also there with us. The star lanes in our section of the Galaxy could only be left by going through the homeworld or the Tachidi, or Orion, so we were sort of stuck, but we had a lot of nice planets in there with us. Our diplomacy went generally well, the silicoids declared war, but they were on the other side of the cluster, unreachable. We got non-aggresion pacts with the Nommo and Eoladi, and trade agreemnets with everyone except the silicoids, so we were happy for a while.

After a while all the good planets in my section had been taken, so it was time to expand! My only option was to attack the Tachidi, and they had been killing my scouts anyway, so all was well. They had only one colony in my sector, so I assembled a flotilla of missile destroyers and a mobile army there and invaded. My first attack didn't succeed in capturing the planet because I ran out of time, and now there was a motion to declare total war on me in the senate! I quickly assembled a second force, and this time used chemical weapons to break the resistance in high intensity fighting! I followed up, taking out two Tachidi star systems before someone won the presidency of the Orion senate and the game ended.

Comment

I've started next to 2 Ithkuls who have been sending 1 ship about every 6-8 turns into my home system (an SC, a CV, a CL, and a colony ship so far). I appreciate the training exercises but I thought they would be smarter. All of that without declaring war too...
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

1st AAR.

(Started with a customized Tachidi. Small cluster, many short star lanes. Started in the SE Edge of the galaxy and not in the senate)

We are Sujanix.

We built a colony ship and a scout ships explore the reaches of space.

We met the Trilarians and became allies quickly.

After expanding, we were blocked in by two gaurdians and the Trilarians... Except for one wormhole that led to the humans. On the other side of the gaurdians were filthy Ithkul. Terrorizing our population with their spies. They will be dealt with, but they will have to wait.

It was through the humans, that we learned of the New Orion council. Sujanix soon colonized all the world available in our corner of the Galaxy without conflict.

The humans were gaining power in the senate and would not give us access to the council. Then a twist of fate occurred. The humans decided that the Trilarians needed to be exterminated...

The Trilarians asked us for assistance with the Human infestation. We gladly accepted their proposal and started deploying our fleet.

The humans were weak and deserved being conquered. We swept in and in 10 short turns, all human colonies were under our control. In the end of the conflict we met the Silicoids, Sakkra, Meklar and the New Orions...

Both the Silicoids and the Sakkra declared war. Little did they realize the power the Sujanix held. From strength to strength our Battle Cruisers fought on the two fronts. Our battleoids landed on their colonies one by one and they became ours. Soon the Silicoids fell and Sakkra had only their home world left with fleets on both ends of their 2 starlanes...

Unexpectedly our friends, the Trilarians, declared war on us. Betrayal was not an option. They will be dealt with next. The Sakkra fell.

As soon as the Trilar scum declared war we first deployed transports and ship to the systems that we shared. We took what was our swiftly, and declared war on the meklar who had allied with the Trilarians. We pushed them back to a single choke point where they shared 4 systems between them and we left a fleet gaurding the only way out.

We sent out 5 armadas as antaran expeditions. In the meantime we had defeated 3 of the gaurdians who blocked us from expanding. We ran into the Ithkul, they posed little threat. We bombarded their colonies to ash.

Then, our armadas returned with all the X's. Victory was ours.

-Sujanix

Comment

Just an amusing little side story...

I'm not done with this game yet, and it's a friendly multiplayer game with my dad. The Orion Senate victory is off, so I'm the president of the senate, and I ramrodded a bill to get him in, too. Now, of course, we can get whatever we want to a vote. We kicked the New Orions out, and they don't seem to care. So now we're marauding through the galaxy with senate support. Yay!
                          Hail! to the victors valient!
                          Hail! to the conquering heroes!
                          Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
                          the leaders and the best!

Comment

Maybe are pirates

When you began to grow stronger pirates begin to go to your system besides your trade income, try to put ships ( specialy system ships ) in your system, one per planet and the problem probabily will over

Comment

Working...
                            X