Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunh? How did GalCiv get in my MoO3 Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunh? How did GalCiv get in my MoO3 Box?

Hey Folk,

Well that's weird. I open the MoO3 box to see a little keyboard commands chart, manual, 2 discs....and a little advert for Galactic Civilizations!

What the heck? Isn't that like having an advertisement for a Toyota in your newly purchased Ford?

I think it's more like having an advertisement for Cadillac in your Yugo.

Comment

They're both IG games.

So it's more like having an advert for a Buick in your Chevy (both GM companies...).
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

thought GalCiv was by Stardock....

but maybe they are developers like QS, and IG is produciing both...

It makes sense to me, people interested in one would also probably be interested in the other.

I would expect a moo3 ad in the GalCiv box too....

Comment

IG is distributing both.

Comment

Yummy, though - two wildly different Space Civ 4X games from the same publisher. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't (Mars and Almond Joy reference.)

Comment

Actually, that's Almond Joy (nut) and Mounds (without). Mars is the distributor.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

If they weren't being published by the same company I doubt the agreement to separate their release dates would have been concluded so amicably.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

It does raise an eyebrow, though, doesn't it?

Comment

Just to clear things up:

Galactic Civilizations is developed by Stardock (I work for Stardock).

It is published (i.e. marketing and box manufacturing) by Strategy First.

And it is distributed by Infogrames (they get it into the stores and such).

I think it's safe to say that Stardock/Strategy First/IG want both games to succeed. If these games can do well then it opens things up for more strategy games.

That said, the two games are very different in design and play style. They just happen to be strategy games that take place in space.

Comment

It's a good thing, Drag, because I enjoyed playing the Stars! Supernova Genesis beta. (sigh) At least GalCiv has some passing resemblance to it.

Comment

Jonah, have you heard anything about the status of Stars SN? I'd really like to see that game come out. Hopefully all the interest in 4X games might help them get a publisher, it looks like a great game.

Comment

I haven't asked them (Mare Crisium) in a long while. They told me off the record and in private that they were dumping Empire and looking for someone new.

Last I heard, they spoke to Strategy First but passed them up (or they were passed up - I really don't know.)

I haven't spoken to them in over a year.
                          Last edited by JonahFalcon; February 27, 2003, 01:58.

Comment

well, i think thats a good move. If you're dissapointed with moo3 you at least know what the alternative is, and IG makes money in any case.

Comment

Working...
                            X