CD drive running all the damn time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD drive running all the damn time...

Is it just me or does it run the CD all the damn time for everyone else? That is majorly annoying to me as it seems to run at highest speed too, and thats quite a noise level with my CD drive...

Is there some workaround or do I need a noCD crack because they effed up the copyprotection ?
    Turning off the music did not help...

Lata
    Krait

Could that be the CD music playing?

Comment

I've heard you can simpy copy the 2nd CD into some folder, then it will no longer ask for it to play. No cracking involved.

Comment

Well like I said its not the music.
        The HD-copying thing would be nice, thats how it worked in MoO2, but there is no MoO3.cfg where I can specifiy a new location for the CD files...
        At least I didnt find any, and there is no path option for it in MoO3.ini...

Maybe someone knows more than I?

Lata
        Krait

Comment

OK, the readme says:

COPYING MUSIC FILES TO THE HARD DRIVE
          You can also copy the music files to the hard drive to reduce CD ROM seek times and to increase performance on computers with older CD ROM drives. To do this, insert Disk 2 (PLAY CD) and open up explorer. Select the MUSIC directory and copy the contents to \Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets

I did that, to no avail. While I play the game, it does something on the CD every 5 seconds (drive light flickers), and rotates at what sounds like full speed all the time... Look to me like a copy protection gone wild...

Makes the game unplayable for me because of the noise (not so bad while I burn a CD in 2 minutes, but playing for 8 hrs will make me deaf.)

Any help is appreciated as the game really don't seem to be all that bad

Lata
          Krait

Comment

Try to make ISO, and use DAEMON tools to emulate cd-drive... securom is not a problem

Comment

I did the music copy thing, but the drive is still running. Music is also turned all the way off.

Dunno...

Comment

I copied the entire Music folder to the specified folder and not just the contents. I have only played for about 30 minutes, but the game does not seem to be accessing my CD drive. Music still turned on.

Comment

The readme is wrong, the music needs to go here:

\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets\Common\Music

So copy the whole Music folder (including the folder itself) into Common.

Comment

Woohoo! that worked!
                    Thanks Vesper!

And thanks Infogrames/Quicksilver for the faulty readme :P

Lata
                    Krait

Comment

According to a thread on along the same lines at IGMOO the readme states :

You can also copy the music files to the hard drive to reduce CD ROM seek times and to increase performance on computers with older CD ROM drives. To do this, insert Disk 2 (PLAY CD) and open up explorer. Select the MUSIC directory and copy the contents to
                      \Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets

This should apparently be :
                      \Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets\Common\Music\
                      I haven't got a copy myself yet so I can't tell you if it solves it from personal experience but it seems to be working for them.
                      Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Lorien_TFO
                        According to a thread on along the same lines at IGMOO the readme states :

You can also copy the music files to the hard drive to reduce CD ROM seek times and to increase performance on computers with older CD ROM drives. To do this, insert Disk 2 (PLAY CD) and open up explorer. Select the MUSIC directory and copy the contents to
                        \Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets

This should apparently be :
                        \Master of Orion 3\GameDataSets\Classic_01\GameAssets\Common\Music\
                        I haven't got a copy myself yet so I can't tell you if it solves it from personal experience but it seems to be working for them.
                        Hope this helps
                        I love it when someone out there takes the time to do a little research

Before you stated this Lorien_TFO I would've read this thread and said no thanks to the game. Thanks for clearing this issue up.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

How can the read me be so incorrect?

I would not have thought it would have been this rushed after the time we have had to wait.
                          The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

*bump*

Need to know stuff, and we need to know!!
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Haven't you tried out any CD drive slowing down programs? There are many available, like the Nero drive speed. Would be much easier.
                              Here's a link. I think it's completely freeware, but I'm not sure.
                              Last edited by Jeltz; February 27, 2003, 09:20.
                              "Relax, pay your income tax!" - The Fast Show
                              "Once you discover white paint, you'll never wash your underwear again." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Working...
                              X