My First Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Thoughts

Well, got the game and sat down and played it a few hours, heres my intial thoughts...

Now I know everyones been saying read the manual, but the only reading I did of it was during the install. I'm more of a trial and error guy I guess. Went through, saw the nice intro, which has greatly detailed alien races but didn't tell me a whole lot. Setup a game and went with the default options, besides for choosing Sakkra as my race.

Though I did claim to be trial and error, I let the master tips explain things first. Nothing seemed too complicated, though I was left with a few questions reading the manual or checking online will probably answer.

Then to test what my biggest concern was, I turned off the viceroys and so forth. I then waited for the doom of AI contradicting me at every turn to happen... It didn't. I don't know what game some reviewers played, but maybe it wasn't this one. The only thing you have no control over getting built with the AI off is the improvement structures like Hydroponic Farms and so forth, its just an auto-upgrade to your DEAs that gets built.

You can build some other buildings however, that affect different things. My economy went a bit odd as the game progressed, built too many Mining DEAs without enough Industry, and my ships were quite outdated because of it. I can't tell if any of this is really informative, but i'll continue.

The game isn't as some said too complicated to micromange, it just doesn't seem to lend itself to it at first. The 3 queue max for planetary/military builds is annoying. At least until you realize you can select for 1,5, or 10 of a selected military item to be built, then its not quite so annoying.

The DEAs get built just how you tell them to. I'm not sure if theres some downside to setting up all the DEAs intially or not, I didn't notice one if there was. One thing I will need to do is research more the type of places(Hostile,Arable,Aluvial, etc...) so I can be sure whats best to go there.

You can get a quick summary of what planets are doing, check locations of task forces, oversee spys, etc... The only place where I still don't feel I have alot of control is research. Reminds me of SMAC when setting it to random field. You are getting a new technology, which means its better in some way, but you're not quite sure what its going to be most of the time.

Most tech descriptions were alright, you can figure out what they do, but you won't have the numbers. Maybe thats something they can patch, for us number obsessed? All these numbers that are said to terrify you into thinking its a spreadsheet aren't so terrifying. Nor are they that hard to figure out, players of Stars! will easily adapt i'm sure, while those that just stuck to the MoOs might have a harder time.

Combat is still a bit undecided at present. The task force system does bare some merit, but I still need to work out all the uses of it. Fighting itself is alright, though control is a bit awkward. I won't kid you though, it looks like total crap. As other reviews have said, only the weapons fired really look that impressive. Ships are just varying blobs of color spaced around the map.

In closing the game seems somewhat of a combination of MoO2, Space Empires IV, and Stars! 2. If that makes any sense. Its not a bad mix, but its hard to say if everything works well together after a few hours. If you're unsure about wether you want to buy it, or unsure about strategy in general i'd wait. If you're a fan of strategy games i'd already be at the store buying it. :P
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

game kicks total ass.... and will become much better for many as soon as ppl start understanding the full scope of the game better. Ground battles themselves alone make for a very large rock-paper-scissor game and are quite interesting with many possibilities.

The game will also only get better as undoubtedly some patches will be released.

If you havent read the manual I would recommend you do so. Ya its kinda long, but its worth it it will improve your game experience greatly.

Comment

(bowing) Thank you, thank you. I was hoping other people would start playing to see I WAS RIGHT, THEY WERE WRONG.

Comment

As if we ever doubted you

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by JonahFalcon
          (bowing) Thank you, thank you. I was hoping other people would start playing to see I WAS RIGHT, THEY WERE WRONG.
          Bzzzt!!!!!

Wrong Answer, thanks for playing.

Your opinion of the game is ONLY that, you opinion. There is no right and wrong....

Comment

I think Jonah was making a joke.

In fact I'm sure of it.

Hence the "" smilie.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Jonah, even in humor you continue to belittle yourself with your comments. We're glad you liked the game, we're overjoyed that it will live up to our expectations, but please, PLEASE give it a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchDev

Bzzzt!!!!!

Wrong Answer, thanks for playing.

Your opinion of the game is ONLY that, you opinion. There is no right and wrong....
                Bzzt! WRONG!

There definitely IS a "right" and "wrong" maybe not in opinions on the game, but in society in general there is. Sory, this is OT, just tired of that whole "there is no right or wrong" liberal mindest.

Comment

Right and wrong are determined BY society. Society is subject to change, therefore, right and wrong are too.

Comment

Well, it's not my opinion that is right or wrong - just the fact the AI doesn't countermand your orders (save taxation, which it slowly changes after 20 turns or so.)

Comment

Originally posted by canimoo2
                      Jonah, even in humor you continue to belittle yourself with your comments. We're glad you liked the game, we're overjoyed that it will live up to our expectations, but please, PLEASE give it a rest.
                      on the contrary, I would like him to open his mouth and never close it, I want to hear all about the game before I decide to go buy it. So keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by Killazer
                        . Ground battles themselves alone make for a very large rock-paper-scissor game and are quite interesting with many possibilities.
                        Can you explain how this can be interesting with many possibilities?

Did you enjoy the "battles" in Birth of the Federation?
                        The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

because you have some 10 possibile attack choices and your opponet gets the same choices. Some choices counter others, like rock paper scissor game. Even if you have a more advanced force, if you use a particularly poor attack plan and your opponent uses a good plan to counter yours, you will suffer huge casualties.

Also, combats can take place over multiple turns, thus if you fight well you can hold out long enough for relief forces. Also, the combat is much more detailed as it rages around the planet

Comment

Okay, so its nothing like scissor paper stone.

You had me worried for a moment.
                            The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Working...
                            X