Seriously...is MOO3 for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously...is MOO3 for me?

I've ben reading the threads here and at a couple other places...read the reviews, and have been online long enough to understand that pissy reviews and gushing fanboy reviews are just extremes of the spectrum; I take everything with a grain of salt.

But I'm new to TB strategy games on the computer (though I've table-top wargamed a bit). I played a great deal of Risk online, and just stumbled onto MOO3 by accident. While reading up on MOO3, I got a bargain-bin copy of MOO2 (two) and have played that for a month now. I enjoy it, but want a) more detail and b) more control.

I'm confused by all the posts of "big picture/no micro management" followed by posts about "overwhelming detail and control".

If I liked "Risk" and am looking for an expanded MOO2, will I be disappointed by MOO3?

Many thanks!

That's a toughy. The hardest part about MoO3 is the learning curve. If you're willing to put in a lot of effort - and I truly do mean this - you'll find it much more detailed and controllable (without going into micromanagement hell) than you did MoO2.

Another game you might like is Europa Universitalis 2 - it's a strategy game where you control a country in Europe and guide it for 300 years. Quite good, IMO, and sort of like a super version of Risk.

Comment

for you, i would say give it a shot. ithink deaddirewolf said it best: this game needs to be actively studied to be truly enjoyed.

If you have the patience, you may be rewarded.

However, i think the biggest throw people are going to have is just the way you play it: it's not like any other game i've really experienced. You play from the macro point of view. yes you can jump in and put a new Cruiser in the build queue for Tau Ceti IV, but most of the game is run in a different frame of mind entirely. .It's kinda like handling a marionette by the strings as opposed to just grabbing it and forcing it to move some way - your global *strategy* (not tactics, but true *strategy*) is what will be be interesting.

Comment

More direct answer.

If your looking for Moo2.5 you will likely be disappointed. This is a new game.

Moo3 uses a completely new model for combat. It's now 2D real time based. Developement, spying and technology have changed as well. Technology uses a far better model than Moo2. The only thing that doesn't seem to be completely different is diplomacy. It is far more detailed but still has the basic treaties in Moo2 plus a number of new options.

If your looking for a large scale indepth TBS game you should consider Moo3.

Comment

Re: Seriously...is MOO3 for me?

I haven;t played the game...

Originally posted by lcstark
          I enjoy it, but want a) more detail and b) more control.
          [/b]
          There is more detail in MOO III--that we are sure about. More techs, more spying, more planets, etc. As far as having more control, my impression is that MOO III doesn't really let you have more control. So I guess you get one of your desires...

[b]
          I'm confused by all the posts of "big picture/no micro management" followed by posts about "overwhelming detail and control".
          [b]
          There is a lot of detail in the game but you deal with the game from a macro point of view. If you want, you can delve into the details.

Since you enjoyed MOO II, I think you should consider getting MOO III. In the worst case, you'll still enjoy it to some extent.

KoalaBear33

Comment

Read the manual and play a game at easy setting to learn the game I would do. I alway start a new computer stragic game. Play the many standard races to see which one you like to play and then see how you can inprove that race to your likeing.javascript:smilie('')
            smile
            By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I question your sig. We will see.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Re: Seriously...is MOO3 for me?

...I've table-top wargamed a bit...

I played a great deal of Risk online...
                If you like Risk and table-top wargaming, you should check out the Total War series (Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War).
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I second Stuie.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks folks. I think I'll take the leap and go with Moo3, take it home and give it a significant amount of time.

I do like games where the learning curve its steep and have had a couple experiences where something I didnt like at first eventually got me hooked once I understood the mechanics.

I'll also take a look at the "Total War" suggestions...thanks again! I suppose I should head to the store on my way home from work and see if I can score a copy of Moo3.

Has anyone had trouble today with store selling out? Or is that silly?

Comment

I would say: get civ2 or SMAC/SMACX. It will cost you next to nothing and imho they are the best TBS games ever made.

Note: I have not yet played MOO3 so I can't judge the quality of that game.
                      Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

I play MOO3 for 5 or 6 hours already it a great game.
                        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Converted. Thanks!

I've had the game a week now, and I've only had three space battles (all scout to scout) though I've played maybe a total of 24 hours. this is mostly because I've restarted the game when I had an "A-HAH!" moment and realize how something was working.

The user mods that have come out (primarily the mods that improve the documentation) and the strat guides in conjunction with the Prima guide have nursed me along to the point that I'm really enjoying this game.

I'm currently in my 5th game (turn 72) with the average length of game growing with each iteration. I have yet to win a game (since I keep restarting) but I don't think the game is "too easy".

As I stated when I started this thread, I'm new to TBS games and especially new to 4X games. I wasn't sure if I would like this game, and was very disappointed the first day or two after purchasing it, but I've hung in there and dug in to find a very rich and engaging game. I'll be playing this for years.

Thanks for all your help!

-L

Comment

Re: Converted. Thanks!

I've had the game a week now, and I've only had three space battles (all scout to scout) though I've played maybe a total of 24 hours. this is mostly because I've restarted the game when I had an "A-HAH!" moment and realize how something was working.

The user mods that have come out (primarily the mods that improve the documentation) and the strat guides in conjunction with the Prima guide have nursed me along to the point that I'm really enjoying this game.

I'm currently in my 5th game (turn 72) with the average length of game growing with each iteration. I have yet to win a game (since I keep restarting) but I don't think the game is "too easy".

As I stated when I started this thread, I'm new to TBS games and especially new to 4X games. I wasn't sure if I would like this game, and was very disappointed the first day or two after purchasing it, but I've hung in there and dug in to find a very rich and engaging game. I'll be playing this for years.

Thanks for all your help!

-L
                            No game nowday come out of the box ready to play anymore. I remember before the internet when you brought than game it ran well out of the box it if didnot the company lost money.

Comment

Well, I'm new to the MOO forums (my first post) but I think this might be the appropirate thread for my question.

As many Civ players already know, you can break down Civ gamers into two groups: the warmongers and the peace-builders.

Is there any chance that MOO3 can be enjoyed by the peace-builder?

I ask this because I almost bought it the other day. However, I was rather turned off by the description on the back. It bragged about new espionage methods (such as leader assasination) and a bajillion types of military spacecraft and features. Sorry, just not my type of game. However, the screen shots in the strategy guide seemed to hint at a complex economy structure. I didn't have time to read it though.

Then I come here and there seems to be this divided conflict between "too detailed" and "not detailed enough". Well, in what regard is the detail too much or too little? Too much in regard to infrastructure building (the warmonger's nightmare) or too much in regard to tactical combat maneuvers (the peace-builder's nightmare).

Anyway, your input is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X