**Possible Spoilers** Discussing the official history as laid out in the manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince278

I think it was the original Antarans who created the X's.
    Finished my second 5-X win last night, and this time turned up the sound so that I could hear it all, and paid very close attention to it.

Spoiler:
    I'm convinced that the Xs were created by the Original Orions. It isn't just the speaker not looking like any Antaran that I've ever seen (bald blue humanoid with some kind of spiky ridge along the eyebrows), it's that he speaks about the Antarans in the third person, even before they're "great accident." If not the OO, then certainly another elder race or a branch of the Antarans distinct from both the branches of Antarans we're familiar with.

When the 5 X technologies are researched and prototyped, a movie plays of the 5 physical Xs getting locked down evenly spaced around some kind of platform, and when this happens, a "hologram" shows a single humanoid creature, and he gives a short speech on the history of the 5Xs.

Basically, the Xs are a combination of technologies that when combined lead the assumed Original Orions to their greatest discovery ever, which I suspect is the accension to a higher plane of existence. The Orions then left each of the 5 Xs with one of the younger races for safe keeping, until someone wise enough to use them came along. I assume that they then used the combination to raise their entire race to the higher plane of existence, which would be why the Orions are gone.

The speaker talks about the Antarans searching for the 5 Xs, and even recreating some of them independently, which brought about their downfall (the genetic X lead to the Harvesters, which killed off the Antarans). However, as part of the failed experiment, the surviving Antarans found out where the 5 Xs were hidden, and went forth and annihilated the 5 races, looking for the X each of them kept safe.

From this, I'm lead to believe the following:
    • The Xs were created by the Original Orions (at no time does the original speaker identify his race).
    • We've finally seen what an Original Orion looks like.
    • The reason the OO disappeared is because they converted to a pure energy state and are on a higher plane of existence now. This could be where the rumors that the Antaran disappearence was caused by them doing this came from.

Sound like a reasonable set of conclusions, anyone?

If anyone would like to watch the movie without playing all the way through to a 5-X victory, I can email them an autosave that is one turn prior to the X win. I'm sure that the actual movie is in one of the MOB files as well.

EDIT: Never mind, someone started a new game and blew away the autosaves before I could grab them.
    Last edited by Eric S; March 20, 2003, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S
      Finished my second 5-X win last night, and this time turned up the sound so that I could hear it all, and paid very close attention to it.
      I believe your conclusions are correct. Also, I believe the blue alien is an original Orion just like in Star Trek. As we already know (from the pilot episode with Capt. Pike) the Orion women are green and everyone assumed the men were too. But I remember an episode of the animated Star Trek that had Orion men in it and they were blue. Now that I think about it, in the "Journey to Babel" episode of the original Star Trek an aide to the Andorian ambassador was revealed to be an Orion spy in disguise. Except for his phony antennae no one could tell the difference (and the Andorians are all blue).
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Thanks for the infomation. Depending on how the patch progress goes I may never play long enough to get a 5X win.
        "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
        "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Actually, this 5-X win was a fairly quick one, around turn 340-350. O.K., so if you don't like the game, that's not quick, but I was having fun.

Comment

Actually, this 5-X win was a fairly quick one, around turn 340-350. O.K., so if you don't like the game, that's not quick, but I was having fun.
            You know I'm not sure that I don't like the game it's just hard to get into. I'm in school right now so I don't have that many hours to spend trying to learn it so it's easier for me to just start up Civ3.
            That being said, when classes are done in April I will give it another shot.
            "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
            "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

if you want to watch the x-video without getting the x victory, download the player from this site.
              RAD Game Tools' web page. RAD makes Bink Video, the Telemetry Performance Visualization System, and Oodle Data Compression - all popular video game middleware.

The go through your moo3 directory/gamedatasets/classic01/gameassets/common/fsmovies

use the video software to play the x win movie, or any movie at that.

Comment

Working...
              X