Noooooo! Big reason to BE in Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noooooo! Big reason to BE in Senate

I was the #2 ranked empire, I was doing great. I was driving towards getting a Stellar Converter to test blasting a planet to try to destroy it (Energy level 30 at the time) ... and...

The game ENDED, with me losing, despite having wiped one empire from the face of the Earth.

Why?

A rival race was elected President of the Senate.

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a score twice as much as that race (who came in #3 to my #2), but it didn't matter, since they'd garnered friends in the Senate and got themselves voted.

Here is a HUGE reason to want to be an Orion Senate race, especially when you have that win condition active. (grumble)

Incidentally, I would like to see a Hall of Fame in a future patch. My score was great.

How about just turn off the Senate victory?

Comment

I hope you can do that. It seems very annoying like the UN victory in civIII

Comment

You can turn it off :P
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

This is the reason why people are discussing the need for a 'defy the council' option. if you turn off council victory its a completely different thing to needing to be superbly strong before the council unites and comes to kick your butt.

Considering the game has been deliberately built with many races outside the council completely, it makes sense that they simply wouldn't care who the muppets voted grand poobah, just like they haven't cared about any of the other votes. "I'm sorry Mr Harvester, you may have eaten the remainder of the galaxy but Mr Psilonius here has been elected local winner so you can just go home now, you've lost."

Winning a game after the council races come for you should be damn hard, but anyone should be entitled to try.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
            This is the reason why people are discussing the need for a 'defy the council' option. if you turn off council victory its a completely different thing to needing to be superbly strong before the council unites and comes to kick your butt.

Considering the game has been deliberately built with many races outside the council completely, it makes sense that they simply wouldn't care who the muppets voted grand poobah, just like they haven't cared about any of the other votes. "I'm sorry Mr Harvester, you may have eaten the remainder of the galaxy but Mr Psilonius here has been elected local winner so you can just go home now, you've lost."

Winning a game after the council races come for you should be damn hard, but anyone should be entitled to try.
            I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!

-P

Comment

The current stituation (no dismissing the elected president) doesn't really ad up. There's three viable game options here, AFAICS:

1. Spending points ensuring that I'm in the Senate at startup, I'd leave the Senate-win option on

2. Spending points making sure I wasn't in the Senate, I'd turn the Senate-win option off, so I wouldn't have to share Jonahs experience

3. Not wanting to use racemod-points to secure one way or the other, I'd keep the option on and restart until I got started in the Senate

Patch suggestion #1: An easy way to solve the problem would be to patch the SP game so that no presidential elections were held before the player had become a member. Not very realistic, but very smart from a gameplay POW.

But what was that about no HOF? Who cares about a score if you have nothing to compare with? THAT is a major setback for a stat-buff like me....

Patch suggestion #2: PLEASE, add a HOF and a better one than the one in MOO2.
              Why is it so tough for developers to grasp that a HOF entry should be a screendump of the victory screen....and a ladder system like the one in the Civ/Col-games wouldn't hurt, either....
              It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Actually, imagine your reaction if your timing was bad and on turn umpteen on your way to a sole survivor-win with a ****load of Planetbuster ships you're en route to utterly annihilate the last race's last colony (which happens to be the sole member of a by now pathetically obsolete Senate, cause you've killed everybody else)....PLING!..You've lost, 'cause Mr. Itty-bitty has (inevitably) won the election....

I know I'd do something drastic involving the rectum of the lead programmer of MOO3 and about a pound of C4......

edit: fixing bad language..I know, I'm vain that way....
                Last edited by OmniDude; February 25, 2003, 11:02.
                It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

Bring back final war!!
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

How do you get on the Senate if you don't start the game as a member?
                    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

A senate member proposes you for entry and the vote passes
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

Do they ever do that even? As in, an AI votes you into the Senate? To me, that would seem stupid since voting someone into the Sentate is like giving them a chance to win... you would think that whoever wasnt in the Senate would not be voted in, since they would pretty much just be a threat to victory... oh well.
                        "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
                          Do they ever do that even? As in, an AI votes you into the Senate? To me, that would seem stupid since voting someone into the Sentate is like giving them a chance to win... you would think that whoever wasnt in the Senate would not be voted in, since they would pretty much just be a threat to victory... oh well.

Well that is one of the key differences between an AI 'playing to win' and a simulating a real empire. If it was civ3, for example, you would never get voted in because the AI is a powergaming *****. MOO3 seems to have the AI simulating realistic empires, so it would vote you in if you have strong ties with it.

The harder difficulty is supposed to make the AI more concerned with winning, though, so it would probably be much less likely in such a game.

And don't forget multiplayer, either.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It would depend on the state of the Senate, surely? If you know X has considerably more votes than you, inviting in an ally couldn't hurt if you hope they will help stop your rival winning (or voting you excommunicated, or declaring Senate war on you or any one of those nasty possibilities.) Okay, eventually your ally may be a bigger rival but thats a judgement for another day, provided your alive to see it.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

By the way, your score is increased by all the defensive and full allies you have.

I don't mind losing this way, but I would like to see a Hall of Fame a la SMAC.

Comment

Working...
                              X