Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Questions for Those Who Know...

Hey Gang,

1) Is there any sort of Task Force or Ground Troop Experience/Ranking System? Like Green-Elite stuff?

2) Is there a Hall of Fame/Score Board?

3) Can ships be damaged after combat or are they miraculously restored to full health if they survive a combat? If damaged, how does repair work?

Thanks a bunch!

Good questions. I am keeping this space available for the questions I will eventually think up.

(I esp like the question about green-elite crews)

Comment

Re: Quick Questions for Those Who Know...

Originally posted by LordGek
      Hey Gang,

1) Is there any sort of Task Force or Ground Troop Experience/Ranking System? Like Green-Elite stuff?

2) Is there a Hall of Fame/Score Board?

3) Can ships be damaged after combat or are they miraculously restored to full health if they survive a combat? If damaged, how does repair work?

Thanks a bunch!
      Not a BT, so have your pinch of salt ready, but:

1) Yes. Many examples referring to "Trained", "Experienced", etc., followed by a unit type (Marines, Battleoids, whatever). N.B. This ONLY applies to ground troops. Ships and their crews don't appear to get experience.

2) Sorry, me no know.

3) Uncertain. However, from what I've read, I believe that ships repair and restock (missiles) between combats, rather than requiring a space "drydock".

Hope someone in the know can answer them properly for you.

Comment

Question 2:

It was in the Kangamoo. So prolly/mebbe in the final one.
        There is no spoon.

Comment

Er, I have what I hope is a simple question. I somehow missed in all the discussion a definition of what "Magnate Race" means. Could somebody enlighten me?
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

By my reading, this is a "Magnate Race": A single-planet civilisation of a non-player race.

You can absorb these into your empire (either by conquest, or settling on their planet and out-populating them, I'm not certain), and apparently they're gold dust.
            They're likely to have different environmental requirements to your base race, so you'll be able to use them to colonise many more planets.
            Also, they might well cover some of your race's blind spots - example: you're the Nommo, and are the universe's worst ground troops. You discover a planetful of Bulrathi, take them over, and now you can produce the best troops about from your Bulrathi.

Magnate Races can be any of the cut MoO2 races, or one of a few new non-player races.

As a side note, you can also discover "Splinter Colonies", which appear to be colonists of your race ready to go on another planet. Find early, and you've two planets instead of one.

Please bear in mind my non-BT caveats above if any of this is inaccurate.

Comment

Note, the splinter colony doesn't have to be of your race.. It could be another race, or even a maganate race.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Rubber
                Note, the splinter colony doesn't have to be of your race.. It could be another race, or even a maganate race.
                Really? Hmmm, I was assuming that if it wasn't your race then that would make it a magnate (admittedly, that would still leave the possibility of finding lost colonies of player races unclassified of course). Interesting.
                Would mean MoO3 was covering the logical possibilities (easing suspension of disbelief, and so aiding immersion) rather than shoe-horning ideas into an easily-implemented system.

I'd be interested to know if magnates get much of an infrastructure start when you discover them.

Comment

It used to be different levels of damage control. Some can be repaired in the field, like a fused circuit board or a nonfunctional missle launcher. The other type of damage control can only be repaired in dry dock. Can't replace an engine in the field if it had been sheared off the ship and blown to itty bitty pieces by a nuclear warhead.

BTW, good luck getting this question answered, I tried.
                  Repair Job

Comment

Ah, that was the impression I was getting of the Magnates, so thanks for confirming that! Do they have pre-dispositions just like any of the other races? i.e., the humanoids will be more inclined to join other humanoids, some might refuse to join other species, etc.?

Comment

Thanks Guys for the GREAT Answers!

Here's a tougher one:

(this is tough to pose since I've not seen the game yet so please bare with me)

My sneaky Klackons spies have stolen the Psilon's Warp Drive Technology (or some hybrid tech requiring both Energy and Mathematics)! While it seems safe to assume I can now put that in my ships, do I also now have Level 10 Energy and Level 5 Mathematics if those were the required tech levels to create that technology? Even if my race had NEVER done any research yet in either of those two research fields?

Comment

Splinter colonies are _ONLY_ of your race. Never anyone elses. Nor are they magnate races. They are functionally identical to splinters in Moo2.

If you capture/steal/trade for a tech that is above what you're at, it makes it easier to get that tech that you're missing, but you don't get it automatically. The idea being that it's much easier to reverse engineer something than it is to invent it.

Comment

[quote] The idea being that it's much easier to reverse engineer something than it is to invent it.[/quoet]oooh... how wonderfully logical! That's what I like to see in games... shame it doesn't happen that often...

Comment

Okay, I like that...but wait, we can still steal technologies? I can use that Warp Drive even if well ahead of my current tech levels as long as I steal or have it traded to me, right?

Comment

You can still use that tech, yep. Nothing changes there.

It just helps you with further research in that field.

So yeah, it can be a big bonus to get traded techs (or even better, find them via random tech specials on planets), as they'll speed up your research in that field(s).

Comment

Working...
                              X