Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most important thing i've yet to hear a yes or no about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhofman
    It may be out of your area but what would happen to concrete if it was heated to the insane temperature caused by nuclear detonation?
    Or to an even more insane temperature caused by some of those nice shiny higher tech weapons we'll be using?

Comment

Isn't concrete a mix of sand, gravel and cement? So I'd expect the sand to fuse in to glass. Now why are nuclear bunkers made from concrete?

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
        Isn't concrete a mix of sand, gravel and cement? So I'd expect the sand to fuse in to glass. Now why are nuclear bunkers made from concrete?

-Jam
        Because it's cheaper than most alternatives and you don't care what the outer surface of the bunker is like after the attack, as long as you're safe?

Comment

I would hazard a guess that if your nuclear bunker is getting "glassed" you are just a little too close to the detonation to live. If a stellar converter just went off in your planet's atmosphere, you are probably toast no matter where you are at.
          When flying the Electric Herk remember this: Jam Till Impact

Comment

Originally posted by rhofman
            Thanks Vicious.

It may be out of your area but what would happen to concrete if it was heated to the insane temperature caused by nuclear detonation?
            I don't know what temperatures are achieved in a nuclear explosion. But if you heated concrete enough, it would change from a solid to a liquid and if you then heated it even more it would change from a liquid to a gas just like any other substance. It would depend on the thickness of the concrete and the duration and temperature of the heating. If you have very thick concrete and a very short heat time, maybe only some of the concrete melts and/or vaporizes.
            Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Comment

If someone manages to vaporize the entire outer wall of your bunker, you definately have bigger problems on your hands

Comment

Working...
              X