moo2 game challenge...the no tech victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moo2 game challenge...the no tech victory

A challenge in moo2....win with no tech, on 8 player impossible, small galaxy, normal start tech. By no tech I mean you lose if you ever gain a tech the entire game.

for explanation/discussion/stories, go here:

Even on impossible level, this is possible

Small galaxy and normal starting tech are what make it possible. If the galaxy size was any larger, it probably would be impossible. If you had to start from pre-warp, it would be funny waiting for the bombs to start raining down on you or the ground troops to just land and end your misery

I'll try it
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Played my first game at this....

Klackon
      Unification (6)
      Tolerant (10)
      Warlord (4)
      Uncreative (-4)
      -1 Science (-3)
      -1 Spy (-3)

Defeated the Elerians rather easily very early. Then took out the Bulrathi. Then took out the Humans.

The Alkari are too tough to defeat because of the +50% Defense and they now have ECM Jammer. Using a 5% tribute treaty, I get them to really like me sign trade and NAP treaties with me.

Then ran into trouble trying to take down the Meklars becauase their colony revolted the turn after I beat it Bought them off so I could switch to colony ships and attempt to win by building nothing but housing...

Sakkras declared war on me and are rather powerful. I can't afford to have my fleet leave the area of Ursa or the Sakkra will hit me from behind.

Eventually conquered the Meklars.

All of the Sakkra worlds are out of my pitiful fuel range because of the oddity of how the map is constructed.

The Sakkra, on the other hand, can attack me with impunity and I can't cover all of my worlds at the same time with my fleet.

I'm currently trying to see if it's possible to win the game through the Orion Senate will all of the housing I've been building, but no matter what I do on the military front at this point, the Sakkra will attack where-ever I don't put my fleet (and if I split it up, they just decimate the part they attack).

Well.... if it weren't for the fact that I can't reach those 2 Sakkra systems

I'll have to try again later. I did conquer 4 races and control half the map

Comment

Probably should go in the Moo1/2 forum.

Comment

Well, two people have now won this challenge, with a sole survivor victory.

Myself on turn 99, with a Uni, Tolerant, LHW, RHW race, and Kharush on turn 160 with a Uni, Tolerant, Warlord race. (Stories on IGMOO site in moo2 discussion folder)

Arnelos ran into the same problem I did three or four times before my victory....you kill several races but the others get too strong to kill, due to tech.

Also: if I see that the map contains a couple planets too far to reach from anywhere else, I restart.

Note also that you may be able to build a fleet with extended fuel cells to get them, but its hard. If you can kill/colonize just one of their planets in that area, you can send the rest of the fleet in.

Comment

I thought of building a fleet with extended fuel cells, but that handicaps firepower too much of the enemy has researched reinforced hull.

The killer technologies were when I ran into a sizable Sakkra fleet that could attack my worlds and I couldn't attack his worlds. His fleet had continuous fusion beams and had been beating on the Darloks and Meklars (earlier) enough that his crews were pretty good. They decimated part of my missile cruiser fleet each time I engaged... was only able to beat them if they attacked my whole fleet because my tolerant unification race could replace cheapo missile cruisers faster than he could replace his more expensive continuous fusion beam battleships.

The killer was not being able to reach the Sakkra worlds, though. If I could at least have reached Sssla, I could have easily flattened his home system while his forces were off working on the Meklars or Darloks earlier in the game.

I'm going to try again later.

Comment

This is OT. Please move to MOO/MOO2.
              Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Comment

So, um, how do you handle if you take over a place? Are you effectively barred from invasion?

Comment

Bomb away most of the buildings before you invade. If, when you invade, you get a tech, just reload and keep doing it until you don't get a technology.

That's annoying, but that's the only way I found to avoid getting free techs when I invaded planets. It's a BIG handicap, I agree. If we were allowed to get technology as long as we didn't USE it (or didn't get auto-used techs like Reinforced Hull), that would make matters significantly easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X