X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about MOO3 history and gameplay

Hi guys!

I have a few questions about MOO3.

You see, I've just heard about it recently and it sounds like a great game, up with ones like Civ 2, IceWind Dales, Baldur's Gate, etc.

I tried to find some info, but can't seem to find it. Perhaps some of you guys might know.

First, what year does MOO3 take place? 3000 A.D. or 10,000 A.D.? Any revelant dates so I can compare how futurstic it is relative to today.

Second, is it true that you can terraform Gas Giants and pratically anything into a Terran or "M" class world? If so... I could set up dozens of Coruscants, the City Planet, from Star Wars.

Third, I'm a little confused on the New Orions. Are they a splinter group of Antares, or another group altogether?

Pardon my questions, but I'm a "newbie" in the MOO universe and I'd enjoy learning more about it!
    Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

some good questions...

the MOO universe timeline is very well described in the moo3 backstory. (it was not well described until this)

between each of the moo games, various collapses in galactic civilization have occurred, destroying empires, sending everyone back to low level tech (slightly more advanced than current earth tech levels)

these are actually fairly well described/not cheesy in the stroyline

in moo3, each game turn is one "antaran cycle", which is between 1 and 2 earth years. so a 300 turn game (reasonable) is say 450 years....

yes terraforming of the nature you mentioned is possible. with high level tech... low level terraforming only at the start, and it grows with tech.

The new orions are a splinter group from the antarans. they broke off after some unknown calamity destroyed most of the antaran civilization in the antaran sector of the galaxy, which is described in the story line, and which I know, but am not allowed to repeat (sorry) Youll know in a couple weeks when it comes out.

different species enjoy different climates, in terms of gravities/temperatures...Etherians like gas giants (and dont like it if you terraform those!!!), saurians (lizard races) like hot planets, robots like low pressure planets, etc....

you terraform towards your race's preference.

the backstory is actually very cool.
    you'll like it

Comment

check that link for more info...its a summary of lots of Beta tester posts

Comment

Thanks dude!

I appreciate you helping me out with these answers.

May your MOO3 gaming be glorious and unforgettable!
        Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Here's just a sampling. You can find a lot more at these sites:

"The Pre-Orions
          Whatever its inhabitants of yore named their solar system has been long forgotten. Today, historians clinically refer back to this origin point of galactic civilization as "Center One."

Center One consisted of an ancient solar system located near the Galactic Core in a somewhat unstable area of space. Several of its more habitable planets held dense populations of multilingual civilizations whose exact origin is still unknown. These bustling residents were diverse in language, culture, government and ethic identities, making one suspect that they arrived at Center One through the nexus wormhole located in this system. Besides the (future) Orions and the Antarans, who dominated the local populace, there were approximately ten other important civilizations that added to the cosmopolitan mix thriving in this puzzling star system circa ñ3300 GC.

The Exiles

Visitors wandering through the wormhole into Center One found returning home impossible due to incessant fluctuations in this portal. Many saw this random act of fate as their opportunity to settle down somewhere within the thriving Center One system and easily blended into its ever-growing cosmopolitan society. Others felt trapped there and eventually departed in hopes of finding their way home. Unfortunately for them, this meant they were effectively exiled to unexplored parts of space.

The Center One system's ruling oligarchy seemed to have run quite smoothly. It rarely had to deal with political or social upheavals because any serious opposition disappeared soon after rising up (for reasons that are still debated). Circa ñ120 GC, however, dissent grew (many conjecture this was due to the "closing of the frontiers" within the Center One system; others believe that there was some underlying economic cause).

The wormhole offered a quick solution to the most vexing problem within the Center One system, dealing with system's increasing numbers of troublemakers. Eventually, those in power took full advantage of this phenomenon to 'mercifully' dispose of criminals and other undesirable groups to parts of space unknown. Center One society was thus purged of elements that hindered their pursuits by providing these 'unwanted guests' with a non-transferable one-way ticket out of their solar system. It wasn't subtle, but it was apparently quite effective.

The Exodus

The Center One star became unstable within about a century (i.e., one hundred Galactic Cycles) after this policy of exiling large numbers of "undesirables" through the wormhole began. While astrophysicists surmise that these two events may be linked, data from Center One indicates that a generation passed from the time of this discovery to the time they expected their star to go nova.

Evidence suggests that sometime around -45 GC, scientists around Center One discovered the instability of their star, but there seems to have been remarkably little effort put into moving the affected population out of harm's way. The reason for this could be found in the elitist government, which viewed these scientists as dissidents attempting to cause the collapse of the regime. The government brought in its own experts in an attempt to discredit these scientists. Those groups who chose to believe in "The Nova" were viewed as undesirable and, if they wished to help subsidize their own exile, they were encouraged to do so and sent on their way. There is also some evidence suggesting that some independent scientists were secretly working on some sort of anti-nova device that would save their sun, though we cannot know how close they might have come to success. When the nova did come though (exactly as originally predicted), Center One became a vast funeral pyre to a society whose leadership had effectively willed itself out of existence.

That portion of the populace, which did escape during this pre-nova period, went through the wormhole. This is because it provided the only viable means of escape before the star went nova due to the slow STL (Slower-Than-Light) travel available at that time.

Those who left on this exodus did not stay together, either (whether by choice or design). They became known as the "Traveler Tribes" or simply the "Travelers." Each tribe represented a tough, tight-knit community with a common attitude of skepticism toward government and a willingness to prepare for survival. With the destruction of Center One, the only hope for the future of its once great civilization would be the successful emigration and reestablishment of the heterogeneous Travelers.

The Galactic Calendar

It was during this epoch that the galaxy's common calendar was set. The time period for a Galactic Cycle had evolved based on the combination of the orbits of Center One and of its primary's companion star. Whenever the planet was aligned directly between the stars, a "high summer" ensued, which was the basis of the original calendar. Since the companion star's orbit was highly elliptical, this period ranged in duration from approximately one to two Earth years. Astronomers developed a highly accurate means of determining the actual length of each year well in advance, and these formulas were carried into the galaxy by the Tribes. The Galactic Cycle for the nova of Center One's sun was redesignated as Cycle 0 (0 GC). The cycles prior to that were simply numbered negatively. Thus, the year before 1 GC was 0 GC, and the year before that was -1 GC. Other terminology remains relative. A "decade" is ten Galactic Cycles; a "century" is one hundred; and a "millennium" is one thousand.

The Slower-Than-Light Cycles

Due to the massive energy released during the first nova and disruptions caused by subsequent novas and supernovas in the galactic core, hyperspace travel was precarious during this period and probably remained so, to an ever-lessening degree, right up through modern times. Wormholes themselves became quite unstable, which caused a number of shifts in their exit points. As a result of this instability civilizations throughout the galaxy were solely dependent upon available wormholes for any kind of FTL (Faster-Than-Light) travel, but no one could be one hundred percent certain just where they would be deposited.

The STL transportation used by the Tribes significantly limited their ability to expand and develop colonies within the galaxy during the first millennium (i.e., from 1 GC to 1000 GC), unless they were lucky enough to discover another usable wormhole.

Unfortunately, fewer than twenty of the Tribes that left the Center One home worlds survived long enough to develop and utilize STL transportation around their new home solar systems. The other Tribes are presumed to have died during the exodus or shortly thereafter due to any number of reasons. (This remains a subject of much conjecture.)

NEXT IN THE BACKGROUND FICTION: "The 'Ancient' Orions""

Comment

I found these backstory tidbits interesting. But it doesn't answer my question about when Earth fits into all this.

I mean, when exactly did Earth join the Orion Senate or whatever it's called? What year A.D. or Terran Year did Earth encounter all these Orion peoples? Also, what is the backstory on Earth itself between our "present time" and the MoO universe era?

I'm just curious because I'd like to know where, how, when, and why humans are involved with the MoO universe...

so I can be like Grand Admiral Thrawn and use the info to conquer Humankind.

Comment

The Orion Sector is simply made up of the stars that include and surround the Sol system.

Think Alpha quadrant in the Star Trek Universe.

The Humans of earth didn't "join" the Orion Sector, we competed with the many species inhabiting it. Fortunately we're not one of the lesser races.

Comment

I thought Sol was vaporised because it stood in the way of a grand new starlane project ... or was that something else?
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

It was just moved a little to the left.

Comment

Working...
                  X