Ithkul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ithkul

Some speculation to pass the time as we await the release of MOO3....

I have looked over the back story on the QS web site again and compared that with some quotes I have seen in the AARs. This may not be news to many people but here it goes... the Ithkul were genetically engineered by the old Antarens to go punish the New Orions for breaking away from the old empire. At the end of the back story, there are a lot of deleted parts but you can see that the Antarens were developing something to get revenge on the New Orions for their rebellion against the old order.

One of the big themes for the MOO series is genetic manipulation so it would make sense for the Antarens to seek their revenge in this fashion. Also, one of the AARs had some language stating that the Ithkul wanted nothing more than to do "what they were destined to do." I am guessing their primary purpose is to defeat the New Orions.

It was also mentioned somewhere (though I can't remember where) that the Ithkul bioharvesting relied not upon agriculture but other species. So now I'm wondering if the Ithkul begin the game with some sort of "native host" on their homeworld on which they feed. I'm also wondering if the Ithkul start the game with some technologies given to them from their creators... possibly as a balance for being hated by every other race in the sector.

Anyway, just some wild speculation on my part... could be a big load of crap!
    Last edited by viciouscycle; February 12, 2003, 00:40.
    Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Well, you know what they say..... within crap lies an element of truth. If the Ithkul are truly that then it would make sense that they are universally loathed by the rest of the galaxy. To be hated and still survive, implies some sort of advanced technology.
    When flying the Electric Herk remember this: Jam Till Impact

Comment

viciouscycle, You should have labeled your post as a spoiler because there is alot of spoiler material in it
      "Dont move or ill shoot you full of... little yellow bolts of light!" -John Crichton, astronaut and scientist

Comment

He labled it 'baseless speculation' lol.

Comment

I'm a little disappointed. I figured I go ahead and check this out since the game was so close to release; I've been avoiding the Ithkul threads like the plague. I was hoping that they were the remenents of the excluded races from 1&2 hellbent on destroying those who contributed to their empires' demise. Wouldn't it have been cool to see a genetically spliced Bulrathi/Mrrshan pop up on your diplomacy screen right before the Altarian-piloted armada plowed into our front line colonies.

[borg voice]
          Your life, as you know it, is over. From this point forward you will service us. Strength is irrelevant; you cultures are of no interest to us.

Resistance is futile.
          [/borg voice]

Comment

Yes, this would make lots of sense. If the Ithkul really consume life, that would be a real (i.e. in-game) reason to hate them and make the non-Ithkuls unite against them. Somewhat like Ermor from Dominions.

This is much better than a story-imposed hatred that can be ignored by non-AI players.

Comment

I'm sure the Ithkul will prove to be less inimical to the free survival of alien life than 90% of player controlled races
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                I'm sure the Ithkul will prove to be less inimical to the free survival of alien life than 90% of player controlled races
                Or at least you hope so.
                Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Oh c'mon, we know so. Just look at the AAR's
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Harvesters are a banned subject and harvester speculation is not allowed....so I think this needs to be deleted.

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm curious why Harvesters and Harvester speculation are banned? I only heard about MOO3 recently and I'm biding my time until its release.

I don't understand why talk about a race or planet or whatever would be banned?
                      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

It's supposed to be a big secret that will enhance your gaming experience when you get the software. I don't know if this guy's right about what they are; I've avoided any thread like this until now. I figured it was so close, why not take a peek. I hope he's not right because this isn't what I envisioned Harvesters to be at all. I'm thinking he may be wrong, though. In the past they've shut threads like this down in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexfrog
                          Harvesters are a banned subject and harvester speculation is not allowed....so I think this needs to be deleted.
                          Not banned on Apolyton!

I doubt the Harvesters will be much of a suprise anyway. You can only build up so much suspence and with all that surrounds them it will more than likely be a let down.

Comment

if it truly *wasnt* banned on apolyton, I would be allowed to post a full description of the ithkul...and then Rantz would want to kill me, of course. But it IS banned....by edict of the developers.

Actually, they're pretty cool They're only a letdown if you got yourself believing they will be some incredible sci-fi inovation....

Comment

I find this secrecy quite childish. Why treat us all like children, as if we were unable to decide for ourselves how much we want to know before release?

I certainly don't mind spoilers for strategy games with irrelevant stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X