Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moo3 System Requirements

I don't know if this is news or not:

Windows®: 95/98/ME/XP, 300 MHz Pentium II or better, 128 MB RAM, 8X or faster CD-ROM, 400 MB Hard Drive Space, Direct X 8.0 Compatible Video Card (must be able to display 800x600x16bit), DirectX 8.0 Compatible Sound Card, 8 Player Network Play via TCP/IP (LAN or Internet).

You don't need a cutting edge machine - which is a GOOD thing.

I agree its a good thing, but I also believe it should aim for effects that can be produced on a machine that was the norm 2 years ago. Imho that would be a P450 rather than a P300. But as long as it is an excellent game functional graphics will be forgiven by anyone not put off by reviews that might mark them down if its too unimpressive.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I don't know if this is news or not:

Not really:

And i agree that higher requirements where certainly possible.
      The current requirements can be found on games which were released 4 years ago
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Do you know SimCity 4's requirements, or Civilization III's? SimCity was released 2 weeks ago, Civ III a year ago.

Comment

Do you know SimCity 4's requirements, or Civilization III's? SimCity was released 2 weeks ago, Civ III a year ago.

Not precisely, but they are probably higher then this, why do you ask?
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

As I recall it, Simcity 4's are around the 600MHz mark, but I can't really be bothered to check right now.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Jonah, i thought you had simcity4!
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

It was rhetorical, Mark, to make a point. The answer is 500mhz.

Comment

And what was the point you are making?

Comment

My point is that low system requirements is NOT a sign of long development. It's a sign of intelligent programming - and financial understanding.

Not everyone has a Falcon Northwest computer, or an Area 51 from Alienware. The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Civ III, and the like... they're popular as well as clever.

Comment

I think you misunderstood me then, i wasn't implying a long development, even though it did took long, but that wasn't my point. My point was, if there even was one, is that they may have limited the game by keeping such low requirements.
                      And you can't compare a game with a 300Mhz min req with a game with 500Mhz min req, the difference is too big imo.
                      Last edited by Lemmy; January 27, 2003, 04:01.

Comment

According to some Beta Testers, the programm is _VERY_ slow if you only have the minimum requirments, especially the end of turn waiting on the larger galaxies. So the minimum to run the game is one thing, but I'd like to know the minimum to enjoy running the game. I used to play Civ3 on a P133, and that was a trying experience. On an Athlon2000+ its a different game. I can use the larger maps, and play industrial wars without going mad. I assume this will also be the case with MoO3. Playing on the minimum computer will be a less enjoyable experience. But I'd by a new one, just for this game.

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Thats true. The minimum specs aren't really the important ones. What you need to know is the spec to run the game as it is meant to be enjoyed (full graphics, minimal pausing e.t.c) You don't usually get a good feel for those on the outside of the box. Some companies do the recommended hardware properly, others keep them down to make the game more accessable even if they know you'll have to turn off half the effects to get it to run at a decent pace.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                            What you need to know is the spec to run the game as it is meant to be enjoyed (full graphics, minimal pausing e.t.c) ...decent pace.
                            Exactly what I was trying to say, but more concise.

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Aren't the turns simultaneous in Moo3? That should all but eliminate the delay between turns, as the AIs can do their calculations in the background when the player moves. Of course that only works if they don't cheat like in M:TW...

Comment

Working...
                              X