X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL...I was threathened with a ban, on the IG forums

Link is here

Basically I bumped a very old thread, because I felt that it had relevance to a couple of other threads that were on page one. And WHAM...the threat of a ban. I know that I am not known there as I am here (at least to some extent). Okay...so I violated the rules. But really. Am I wrong, or are they just a tad paranoid??

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

They are indeed paranoid (just look at this Harvester madness), but problems like this can easily be avoided if you don't write "bump" but something that looks half-way meaningful although it isn't.

Or go to Usenet, no megalomanic moderators there.

Comment

Yeah that did seem a tad on the overkill side.

Don`t you have an NDA for all that stuff you were talking about in regards to GalCiv?

Comment

Nope...no such thing.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I realize you just wanted to re-start the discussion and were probably unaware of the policy against thread-bumping, but that may not have been immediately obvious to the mod. Making some comment, even a very short one, to contribute to the discussion, rather than just posting the single word "Bump", would have been fine and would have served the purpose.

They deal/have dealt with an awful lot of crap over there, and don't have unlimited time to do it in, so perhaps it's best to keep a cool head if they mistake you for someone who might be knowingly breaking the rules.

Comment

Asmodean, you were wrong.

You are aware that forums have rules. If you're not, then you're even MORE wrong.

Because you're aware, it is up to you to learn those rules and follow those rules. That's what makes you a polite, functional member of a forum. If you choose not to do that, then you are in the wrong.

So yeah, I think you were wrong. You went in and did something that they say is expressly forbidden. Would you expect anything different if you violated poly's rules?

And yes, I think bumping is bad. If no one responded to the post, perhaps there's a _reason_ for it. If you couldn't be bothered to contribute anything to the conversation aside from 'bump', that's just as good as spamming.

Comment

kalbear: The question is not whether I was wrong or not. I was. And I admitted to the fact. In truth, I had completely forgotten about that particular rule, and I realized the instant I saw Sencho's post, what I had done wrong.

The issue here is, that I committed what I think most will agree is a minor offense. I committed it not with malicious intent, but rather in an attempt to contribute to the forum (whether some will agree I did it in the wrong way is beside the point here), and I did it in the way I deemed appropriate at the time (again wrong, but that is beside the point). I hurt no one and I offended no one. But I get threatened with a ban, and that threat came in what I saw as a rude way (being a mod does not allow you to be any more or less rude than any other member of any forum, as I see it). Therefore my reaction.

Asmodean

Comment

I agree that threatening someone with a ban for simply bumping a single thread for discussion is.... pretty extreme.

If they were having problems with trouble-makers bumping loads of threads just to clutter the front page, I could see being harsh on such trouble-makers... but one guy bumping a single thread to allow discussion in light of previous discussion on the same topic?

C'mon!

That's common practice on 'poly

As for mods here... Hell, I recently had mod powers here on 'poly in the Civ3DG forum... I wasn't given the ability to do anything much beyond move around threads and open/close them I'm not sure, but I think only the co-owners of the site, Ming, and Ixnay have the power to do anything beyond that (as admins). At least in my opinion (which isn't entirely shared when it comes to "Ming the Merciless" ), they've done a good job of keeping order and only banning the real trouble-makers.
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Ixnay has not mod powers....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yeah, Asmodean, I saw it earlier today and it shocked me as well.

The thread was very informative and, after the bump, you significantly contributed. I'm very interested in GalCiv, even if I haven't still posted on their forum here.

Now, there is the law and the spirit of the law...The mods and devs over there often come here, so at least they read and know who you are, not the usual release-date-thread psycho!! The fault was benign, not like if you insulted someone.
                    Bluntly pulling such a threat like that, when others can go unchallenged after having surfed the rudeness-borderline for months just because they are the mods's friends, isn't something that should be considered normal.

Now that all fanboys automatically gang up on critics, perhaps they tried to silence you because your thread was 'promoting' another game...Concurrence!
                    Or, perhaps, they are so surrounded by trolls and cheap bullies all day on their forum that they have forgotten the good manners?
                    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

1. You made a bump 1 hour after a previous post.
                      2. SEncho was not very harsh or rude. Get a thicker skin, young flower.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                        1. You made a bump 1 hour after a previous post.
                        Ummm, I think he made the bump 1 month, 9 days, 6 hours and 12 minutes after the previous post... So that claim does not stand.

However, I agree with the majority of the people here. If you'd posted something other than bump, you wouldn't have been "threatened". I mean, let's face it, Sencho probably doesn't even read the threads - he just uses the search feature to find the offenders. You bump, you get his attention by default. If you weren't too lazy to type something like "good stuff," you would have kept a low profile
                        XBox Live: VovanSim
                        xbox.com (login required)
                        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                        Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                          kalbear: The question is not whether I was wrong or not. I was. And I admitted to the fact. In truth, I had completely forgotten about that particular rule, and I realized the instant I saw Sencho's post, what I had done wrong.
                          Asmodean
                          What's your point here? You did something wrong, you got a warning. Don't do it again and everything is fine.

What do you want, everyone to gather round, pat you on the back and say "Yeah, IGmoo sucks"? Seems pretty immature to me.

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim

Ummm, I think he made the bump 1 month, 9 days, 6 hours and 12 minutes after the previous post... So that claim does not stand.

However, I agree with the majority of the people here. If you'd posted something other than bump, you wouldn't have been "threatened". I mean, let's face it, Sencho probably doesn't even read the threads - he just uses the search feature to find the offenders. You bump, you get his attention by default. If you weren't too lazy to type something like "good stuff," you would have kept a low profile
                            You're right. I was reading the time at the top, not the bottom. My bad. Anyway, he's still a little Europuss for crying about Sencho using rough words. Sencho was no big deal. Ming or MTG would say it the same way. Sorry, As--noone has time to kiss your As.

Comment

Hey look how many Posts you can get by talking about he Word 'bump' :P
                              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Working...
                              X