Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does no-one here remember BOF?

Hello all,

Just reading through all the games that everyone here is using as their baseline for comparison of MOOIII (SMAC, IGII, SEIV and of course MOOI+MOOII crop up quite alot), but did no one here ever play "Star Trek: Birth of the Federation"? It's the best space empire strategy game i've ever palyed (and not cos of the Star Trek aspect, i'm not a Trekkie).

Anyone at all remember it?

Jon...

I remember it was buggy as all hell. Unfortunately BOF, like many of the ST titles, never reached its full potential. Its developers were rushed into finishing the game before it was really playable. The patches, which have since ceased, improved gameplay somewhat, but BOF remains another botched attempt on capitalizing on the Star Trek franchise. Don't get me wrong, I love the game (until it starts taking five minutes to compute a single turn...), but I was always fustrated by how it had all the potential to be an incredible game...and came out one step above lemonware.

If it REALLY is "the best space empire strategy game" you've ever played, you need to get some more games...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

... apart from the ever-expanding-next-turn-wait phenomena, i never experienced any bugs with it at all.

I'm not saying it's perfect, i'm just a bit miffed as to why it is so constantly overlooked. a lot of features that peaople are discussing (in the context of MOOIII), don't seem that new to me... i'm thinking in particular of someone's (can't remember who or where, sorry) comment about the diplomacy system, and touches like an empire's morale/unrest level being adversely affected if you declare war on an erswhile ally. BOF did that.

stiil, i can't wait for MOOIII. i actually dusted off BOF especially to get me in the mood!!!

Jon...

Comment

Yep, I think BOTF is a pretty good game.
        I bought it because it seemed to be like MOO2 but certainly different.
        Had no bugs or crashes.
        It might be a good idea to play it again.
        If you can´t beat them, join them ... and vice versa !

Comment

Sorry, but I did not care for the "you can influence everyone you meet to join you against the enemy strategy" which was the only way to win.

I also remember too much MM, like having to check every planet almost every turn.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I really liked BOTF. However i never played it a lot, as it came out, when SMAC was still fairly new. I remember that BOTF could turn into a micromanagement hell, when you got far enough into the games.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Yeah, MM was (is) extreme. But by the time it becomes a major issue (like when you have 40-odd systems), you've pretty much won anyway, and you're so rich you can afford just to let them miss-manage themselves.

As an aside... Asmodean; are you a Wheel of Time fan?

Jon...

Comment

How could anyone not be a WOT fan? That's like asking if people enjoy the sun coming up or prefer breathing to drowning...

Comment

I didn't want to make an assumption is all... it could well have been some kind of literary of historical reference I’d missed... I’ve done that before and made a fool of myself...

... and I prefer sunset. Though breathing is good.

Jon...

Comment

True enough.

Comment

Absolutely, though work has prevented me from buying CoT. My next day off is next friday - and I will definately hit my nearest book shop then

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I remember Birth of the Federation. It lasted about a week on my computer before I got tired of it. It was one of the worst games I have bought in the last few years.
                        Bigger guns. We need BIGGER GUNS.

Comment

I never played BOF, but I do remember it. I did eventually get Rebellion, one of its competitors, though. I quite liked that one, even if its menu system wasn't all it could have been.
                          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Bof has 3D simultaneous execution combat. Camera was rather weird and there wasn't tech exchange. Then again it was rather simple... too simple for me.
                            I'm not trekkie, but I returned to it. You know there isn't so much space games.

One of less nice thing was non variable attack pattern. AI was so much predicable and It likes to attack in great numbers ( some people like Clausewitch obviously).
                            Last edited by raghar; January 17, 2003, 18:53.

Comment

I played it once or twice and gave it away. It was not bad, I just did not get hooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X